1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood traded to Dallas for the #26 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Jun 15, 2022.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets went 2 - 5 in those games. He already has had the numbers, don't remember the defense being very good, but those are times I rather forget. Maybe @Reeko has a better memory of those 7 games. I'm going to say sample size sucks, plus Harden had his heart set elsewhere.

DreamShook likes this.
  2. what

what Member

This is a terrible trade for the rockets. Giving away productive players because they have — a vision?
    Sorry, but this is what bad front offices do. They got nothing for Christian Woods, except to get rid of him. Lol, terrible.

3. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

what could they have gotten for him instead?

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone never fails to surprise me.

In a negative way.

Wood is better than any player in the trade any prospect available at 26.

Heck Wood is better than any player outside top 6 in this draft.

BamBam and DaDakota like this.
  5. what

what Member

The grizzlies got the top 10 pick for Joonas Valanciunas.
    Hell the grizzlies got the Lakers picked just for taking on a player.
    The Rockets just wanted to get rid of Christian Woods and the Dallas Mavericks knew that so they just gave you anything

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This has to be a bridge to another move

7. Raven

Raven Member

If Stone wakes up smelling BBQ sauce, he should check his ass.

Rokman likes this.
  8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Step away from the bottle of Casamigos very slowly. Lol.

9. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

We have one more year of him and his value goes down every day and drops precipitously if we wait too long because then the trade partner can't extend him. Wood being better, now, than any player outside the top 6 of this draft tells you nothing about his trade value.

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Not thrilled with the value gotten in trade myself, however, an FRP is an FRP. Although if the Ego rumors were true regarding late FRP at the deadline, it does make this trade look pretty crap value.

You know i am no Wood fan, so at the end of day, addition by subtraction is what I get out of this trade. I doubt the offers would have gotten any better anyways and we all know that Wood was just not a long term piece on this team. The writing was on the wall.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  11. what

what Member

You don’t make a stupid move as a bridge to another move you make a good move and then bridge whatever you gonna bridge.

I don’t know what the rockets are smoking right now

12. jayfree

jayfree Member

Considering the Rockets got him for virtually only a 2nd round pick and Ariza I'd say it wasn't that bad.

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

14. Rockets4Life13

If he was, we would've gotten a better deal.

The league knows who Wood is. Which is why no one was interested in the 6'10 20/10 guy.

I for one struggle to understand how someone who talks about defense as obsessively as you do, can also be a fan of Wood.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't count on him being available at 26.

16. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

this isn't a serious answer. there were like 15 parts to that trade, memphis sent out the 17th pick to make that happen, and Valanciunas had 2 years left on an extremely attractive contract.

if anything it proves my point.

Drift Monkey and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden basically tried for the 1st 3 games just to show trade suitors that “yeah, I showed up late and have been out at Turkey Leg Hut, but don’t get it twisted, I’m still that guy”…in those 3 games, I thought he and Christian Wood worked really well together

the Harden-Wood PnR looked like it was gonna be devastating…Harden was hitting him on the roll with his patented pocket passes and setting him up for easy lobs

I wanted Morey to trade for Wood at the trade deadline when he was still in Detroit because I thought he and Harden would be a great match

Wood will always have nice numbers tho…he’s a black Nikola Vucevic with attitude issues to me

ElPigto likes this.
  18. jayfree

jayfree Member

I see what you did there.

RasaqBoi and ElPigto like this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow
    We got better and the Mavs got worse

amazing !

persian hoopa, gmoney411 and RasaqBoi like this.
  20. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

Wood needed to be gone on draft night, so in that sense i like it.

Like almost everyone else, I thought We would get a better deal, but We need to keep in mind that the team didn't want a longer contract in return, so that probably narrowed down our choices. Maybe We could've gotten a better deal on trade deadline this year, but it is what it is.

Wood, as talented as he is, wasn't playing on a level his raw stats might led someone to believe. No matter what his stats are, he just didn't play well last year. He had a couple of high scoring games and that's it. Yes, 19/8/39% from 3 look great on paper, but when you watch the games you see that he gives up every point he scores, doesn't play D, doesn't dive for loose balls and hustle, doesn't set picks, keeps trying to initiate the offense after a rebound only to miss the guys running to the rim, and so on and so on. Just not a good fit with this team.

Drift Monkey likes this.