1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want at 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, May 17, 2022.

?

Who do you want at #3?

1. P. Banchero

334 vote(s)
    75.2%
  2. J. Ivey

47 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. S, Sharpe

10 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Other (Say in post)

23 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Trade for #1

30 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I want Paolo but my god Chet's basketball IQ is amazing

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Chet - “Yeeeeuhhhh”

Bo6, saleem and D-rock like this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The 3 guys you theoretically are building around being minus defenders is not ideal. I think Green will end up being solid enough defensively long term, but Sengun and Banchero I'm less confident in.

Again, I want Paolo at 3 for sure because of his passing ability and his likely ascent offensively, but I do hesitate on his long term fit with Sengun, unless we draft a pure defensive center similar to Capela. Kind of why I want us to trade up for Mark Williams.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

But how do we know these rookies (two will be sophomores) will always be minus defenders?

Why do we assume Sengun will be a starter and not a 6th man running the bench with his passing?

Seems we are making a lot of assumptions early on. I just feel like we need to accumulate as much talent as possible while we still have our draft picks. The fit will sort itself out over time.

We aren’t going to fix our defensive issues through one draft.

ico4498 and jiggyfly like this.
  5. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Wow! Chet sliding to 3 would be dream come true. I would love to get some Holmgren on our Rocks.

1,2 or 3....cant go wrong.

Great Interview Thank you for posting.

cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  6. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Chet is still my #1 pick and I don't mind any of the top 3. I like Ivey, but we desperate need someone taller than 6'6" playing PF.

7. verysimplejason

Taller isn't the answer. Rockets need more defense. Someone who can take bigs and can keep up with smalls.

D-rock likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

YOU are the one who said you were building around those 3 players, not @J Sizzle.

Length + past production + lateral agility are traits traditionally utilized to project defense at NBA level.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tall is good but long is better.

verysimplejason likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Actually I was responding to JSizzle's assertion about defense. Obviously Green and Sengun are out best prospect on the roster and whoever we take at #3.

Are we bad on defense because our prospects are inherently bad at defense or because they are young and inexperienced? Will Green and Sengun always be bad on defense or can they be average? Will Paolo always be bad on defense or can he be average. What about team defense? So many pointless assumptions when we just need to get talent.

If you could actually stop playing gotcha..... my entire theme is that we shouldn't be making assumptions about fit and defense. I even suggested Sengun being a 6th man..... do we build around 6th man type of players?

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

They are bad at defense for different reasons:

Green - below average in switch, lack of length, poor team defense IQ, new to effort defense - not a priority in HS or G League

Sengun - below average in switch, not plus lateral agility/athleticism, length not elite

Banchero - average in switch, length not elite, poor in PnR defense, lost on rotations, not engaged

verysimplejason likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

So then they will never improve or become at least average? Banchero will always be "not engaged"? Green will never improve team defensive IQ?

You are saying they are inherently bad at defense and can never be average? Never play team competent team defense?

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

LMAO

Who's saying they'll never be average or will not improve?

Speaking for myself, I'd rather acquire already elite or plus defenders. These guys can improve too amirite?

14. dmoneybangbang

LMAO. Well I am trying to figure out your point and why you decided to respond to me? Basing decisions on the level of our prospects' defense in their rookie and sophomore seasons seems foolish, especially when we are still rebuilding.

The Rockets should pick the best player with the most potential at #3, not aim for the best defensive player with the third pick. If Chet falls to #3 then we should grab Chet or Jabari.

We also don't have to rely on the draft for defense. Who knows how many of our current players will still be on this team when they are actually competing.

15. verysimplejason

I think you both got merit. You get rookies to build on but you need veterans who actually got it already to make your foundation better.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

So just kick the can down the road instead of addressing it?

Sounds like a genius strategy.

LOL

And fyi - no one is saying Banchero should not be pick if he's BPA at #3.

But there are only so many minus defenders a team should invest in if the goal is a championship.

#736 D-rock, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  17. dmoneybangbang

LOL.... I literally said defense doesn't have to be addressed by the draft alone..... Keep up

We have more than one offseason to address defense.... Come on now....

So then you are assuming they will always be a minus defender players...... Whoops.

We are years away from competing for championship.....

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are what you are until YOU prove differently.

So yes, it would be sheer stupidity to believe that you can become elite defensively by adding minus defenders.

This is not rocket science.

20. dmoneybangbang

What's sheer stupidity is ASSuming this is close to some finish project.

For all we know Green and Banchero will be the worst defensive players we have on our starting unit while Sengun is leading the bench. We have no idea the composition of this team.

For all we know we trade Green and Banchero for a superstar.

We are in talent acquisition mode, not fix the defense in an offseason mode. That should be painfully obvious.