1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[OFFICIAL] [ROBERT REICH] Liz Cheney for President 2024 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there you have it

Liz Cheney for President?
    Is she the person America will need?
    Robert Reich
    13 hr ago

Friends,

I trust Joe Biden’s steadiness and judgment, and if he runs again, I’ll probably back him in 2024. But today I want to suggest someone who isn’t even a Democrat, and whose positions on many issues I (and I suspect you) strongly disagree with — but who could possibly be the best president of the United States for the perilous time we’re entering.

I’m referring to Liz Cheney.

Before you reject this idea out of hand, please bear with me. Even if you still end up thinking it’s a ludicrous notion, let me take you through the argument.

I’ve been in and around American politics for well over a half century. I’ve never seen this nation as bitterly divided as it is now — not during the Civil Rights movement, not during the Vietnam War, not during Watergate. And it looks as if the current division is growing deeper and even more dangerous.

Donald Trump didn’t just attempt a coup. He attempted to push America into a civil war. And he’s still at it — endorsing candidates who will repeat his Big Lie that the 2020 election was stolen from him, encouraging states to change their election laws so Republican lawmakers can disregard the popular vote, and pushing them to install secretaries of state and other election officials who will count votes in ways favorable to Republicans — especially him, should he run for president again in 2024.

In short, Trump wants a civil war centered on himself — on his Big Lie, and on the racist nationalism he fueled to build his political base. Trump’s narcissism is so poisonous that he is committed to splitting the nation over its commitment to him. As president, Trump never understood that he was president of America as a whole. He considered himself to be president only of his supporters, whom he called “my people.” Those who didn’t support him were his enemies. Since the 2020 election, he has done everything possible to stoke war between his supporters and his perceived enemies. Clearly, that’s his aim in 2024.

It will be impossible to reunite this nation without a leader who is the exact opposite of Trump — driven not by narcissism but by a passion for the rule of law and the Constitution — someone who has staked everything on opposing Trump’s demagogic authoritarianism, someone with huge stores of courage and integrity.

Since the attack on the Capitol, Liz Cheney has demonstrated more courage and integrity than any other politician in America. Democratic lawmakers have opposed Trump’s Big Lie, to be sure, but most knew they wouldn’t pay a price for their opposition. Cheney knew she would pay a price — and she has.

Six days after the attack on the Capitol — when no other Republican in the House or Senate was willing to rebuke Trump — she said this on the House floor:

Much more will become clear in the coming days and weeks, but what we know now is enough. The President of the United States summoned this mob, assembled the mob, and lit the flame of this attack. Everything that followed was his doing. None of this would have happened without the President. The President could have immediately and forcefully intervened to stop the violence. He did not. There has never been a greater betrayal by a President of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution.

The following day, on January 13, Cheney joined nine House Republicans and 222 Democrats in voting to impeach Trump. She subsequently agreed to be vice-chairman of the committee investigating the January 6 insurrection.

As a result of these actions, Trump and House G.O.P. leaders have sought to drive Cheney out of the party. House Republicans revoked her status as the third-highest-ranking leader of the Republican caucus. Wyoming Republicans have censured her. Trump and the Republican Party are backing her primary challenger in Wyoming, Harriet Hageman, whose campaign has received huge amounts of funding from rightwing groups. Polling shows Cheney faces an uphill battle to keep her seat.

But she has not wavered.

Last Thursday evening, at the start of the televised hearings of the committee, Cheney laid out the case against Trump, whom, she argued, had thrown the republic into “a moment of maximum danger” not seen before. “The sacred obligation to defend this peaceful transfer of power has been honored by every American president — except one,” she said. She told members of her own party who continued to support Trump’s Big Lie that they were “defending the indefensible” and “there will come a day when President Trump is gone, but your dishonor will remain.”

As I said, Cheney is a firm conservative and I have opposed many of her positions. But we are at an inflection point in this nation over a set of principles that transcend any particular positions or policies. If we cannot agree on the sanctity of the Constitution and the rule of law, we are no longer capable of self government.

The real battle in 2024 will not be between Democrats and Republicans. It will be between forces supporting democracy in America and those supporting authoritarianism. Trump is the de facto leader of the forces supporting authoritarianism. Liz Cheney has become the de facto leader of the forces supporting democracy.

I hope she declares herself a candidate for president and runs in the Republican primary against Trump. The G.O.P desperately needs her moral clarity and authority. She would give voice to Republicans who have been voiceless, and allow the Republican Party to redeem itself — to reclaim the status it needs to ever again be a governing party. If she runs, many currently independent voters — who outnumber registered Republicans — could register as Republicans and vote for her, possibly delivering Trump a sharp repudiation in his own party and making it safe for other Republican lawmakers to declare the truth about the 2020 election.

more at the link

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She would get absolutely destroyed in the primaries, especially in the South, where having been seen talking calmy with a Democrat is a hanging offense for treason against America.

Half the party already views her as a Democratic stooge, and a traitor.

Would definitely feel better about America if I was wrong.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Salvy, Andre0087 and Invisible Fan like this.
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Robert Reich has a name republicans could get behind

Nook, Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sadly, this is very accurate and real problem.

I don't like the idea of America as only a two party nation. It's even worse when the Republican party has been overrun and ruled by extremists.

Blatz, ROCKSS and Andre0087 like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

His dad, Robert Reich Jr., would approve.

Nook likes this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If Republicans want to beat Biden then they should nominate Cheney.

But they aren’t that smart. To them and their voters it’s better to lose with a fascist and try to stage a coup than to win with a candidate that believes in Democracy.

Cheney can run as a Democrat but the moment she shows her voting records on climate she’s out.

She would be in a good spot though if the GOP ever does reform itself which I’m doubting they can do at this point. This brand of fascism is gonna stink up our democracy for another 40 years easily IMO and Cheney will probably be on MSNBC in 2023… Which is fine but does little to help our democracy.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

How about Kinzinger?

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Republicans are going to nominate either Trump, DeSantis, Cruz, or Hawley.

MexAmercnMoose and Andre0087 like this.
  10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Nothing new that the best potential national candidate has no chance due to the primary system.

The republican candidate is going to be Trump or DeSantis. And they are going to win unless there is a dramatic turnaround over the next 2 years.

#10 juicystream, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    pgabriel, Nook and Andre0087 like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I admire Liz Cheney for her stance and putting principle beyond partisanship is something this country badly needs. That said I don't think she has a chance. She's very likely going to lose her House seat in a primary and I don't see any hope for her in the Republican party. Given her long history of very conservative positions including anti-LGBT positions I don't see her having much of a chance in the Democratic party. Other than that she is showing she is very principled there doesn't appear enough support for her to build a broad enough coalition to win the Presidency.

I think Adam Kinzinger might have a better chance. He's a conservative but isn't as associated with such hard right positions as Cheney. He's also younger and has a better back story. That said I think he's also a long shot for the presidency.

If the country wants a unity candidate I would look to Mitt Romney. Given his stand in both impeachment trials he's shown he puts principle over partisanship. He's also cultivated low key and genial presence in the Senate willing to work across the aisle. He's also got far more name recognition than Kinzinger and not a name like "Cheney". Over his career he's shown to be very pragmattic. The knocks against him is that he's old and has already been a one time loser.

Nook likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I would love to see DeSantis win the nomination and pick Cheney or Kinzinger as VP in a surprise move.

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

Cheney needs to run as a third party candidate. The Republican Party is too far gone.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. Major

Major Member

Hard to imagine anyone but Trump or DeSantis at this point.

Blatz and Ubiquitin like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

With the world economy and inflation the way it is, the reality is that Donald Trump has a very high chance of winning the GE in 2024 if he is still alive. If he isn't, they can run DeSantis and have an even better chance of winning.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that she takes stands on principle and because of that doesn't stand a chance, is why there will be fewer politicians who stand for their principles.

I wouldn't vote for her because of her stance on the issues. If I were a conservative Republican, I would vote for her if I was in her state.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I respect people like Liz Cheney, Romeny and Kinzinger. The problem is they don't represent my economic beliefs.

That's okay. I would much rather have a presidential election between two sane people. It would be so much healthier for our nation if the election was Kinzinger vs Biden rather than DeSantis or Trump vs Biden.

We would have actual debates about policy for a change and that is well needed in this country because everything has turned into a culture war and memes.

JayGoogle and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You don't think DeSantis is sane?

20. Salvy

Salvy Member

Anything can happen if voting by mail is a thing again.....