1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone seen anything negative about the Cadillac lyriq?

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They're not really out yet, so you probably won't see much negative yet. The real-world reviews won't be out for a while, and any issues that seem to crop up regularly won't be available until people have actually driven the vehicle for months.

jiggyfly and Ubiquitin like this.
  3. Sajan

Sajan Member

https://electrek.co/2022/06/14/elon-musk-lucid-rivian-tracking-toward-bankruptcy/

During an interview with the Tesla Silicon Valley Owners Club, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said that both Lucid Motors and Rivian, two US-based electric vehicle startups, are trending toward bankruptcy.

The CEO said:

Unless something changes significantly with Rivian and Lucid, they will both go bankrupt. They are tracking toward bankruptcy.

Musk added:

I hope they can do something, but unless they can cut their cost dramatically, they are in deep trouble and will end up in the car cemetery like every other with the exception of Tesla and Ford.

CXbby likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Xerobull likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

cheke64, Slyonebluejay and Ubiquitin like this.
  6. Xerobull

This guy is a clown. I don't believe a thing he says. Watch what he does instead.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

No but seriously, rivn and lcid are tracking towards bankruptcy. Told you guys their operating expenses were almost as high as Tesla’s with 1/1000(0/1000?) the revenue. This is obvious to anyone with half a monkey brain and can read an income statement.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  8. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

TFL did a road trip in a Ford Lightning. They tracked each stop, how long the stop was for and how many miles it charged/% increase they got from the charger. Charging on the road doesn't seem to be all that cheap to me? If you get a Tesla is it free on the Tesla chargers?

There's one where they paid almost 40 bucks while charging (for 49 minutes), so not sure that's a great trade off. Maybe those charges are a bit slower?

It seems like electric vehicles would be great for in the city. Hoping by the time we need a new car for the wife, there will be something worth getting (or plug in hybrid seems like a great option too).

Link to their video:

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

TimDuncanDonaut, Ubiquitin and Sajan like this.
  10. Sajan

Sajan Member

Good thing suburban dads use their F-150 to haul only groceries...
    The real workers are using older trucks that the suburban dads and Chads traded in..

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Future trailers will have their own battery packs and own motors.

Its not like ICE trucks have no loss with a load, but if I recall, they do better than half. This is one of the reasons why the Ford Lightning is not going to be the amazing Tesla killer than many project.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Homie got a mad tweet game tho.

BigShasta and Xerobull like this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The difference between the electric and ICE version is that the ICE version has a range of probably 500+ miles (around 700 for the hybrid, if I recall), and if that gets cut in half, I'm sure you can find a gas station within 250-350 miles without hunting for one. If the electric's range is around 230-320 miles, you'll have about 115-160 miles or so before you have to find/hunt for that charging station. This doesn't even count the hybrid with an extended range tank that could probably push that out to 900+ miles of range on the ICE.

But for a work truck that runs around town, you'd probably (?) be more worried about how many times you'd have to recharge and how long it took to recharge than the max range, I guess, so it may not be as big an issue. For towing or hauling long distances, I can see it being more of an issue, though.

14. Xerobull

I would be doing the same exact thing. It’s funny.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The other issue with towing is that most of the commercial charging stations are designed for individual cars, not trucks with trailers. There are few pull-throughs and most are in store parking lots that might have tight turns and not much space.

If I were Buc-ee's I'd start putting some EV chargers in where you can pull through. It'd be a captive audience for their stores.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

My biggest issue is the "quality of life" when it comes to charging.

Gas stations have shade. I can get out in rain or 100 deg weather. The charging stations I went to (Electrify America/Chargepoint) have been in random corners of walmart or other grocery store parking lots or near some ghetto gas stations with no shade. So I am sitting for 20 mins in texas heat instead of in shade for 5 mins like a gas station.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You would be in jail for stock manipulation.

Anyone know the rules for the $7500 credit? Do all hybrids qualify or it is just the plug ins?

DD

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

its tied to the size of the battery. Standard hybrids don't have large enough batteries to qualify. As for PHEVs, it varies by the vehicle. Some of them qualify for a partial credit while others with bigger batteries get the full $7500. You can easily find a full list of fully and partially qualifying vehicles online.

DaDakota likes this.
  19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yeah, that's a problem. I expect it to change for the better as we move more and more to EVs. I'm sure we'll see electric charging convenience stores start to pop up in the next few years. People are going to need something to do for 30 minutes or so.

20. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

A Charging station that is also a food stand, video arcade maybe add some putt put golf, showers and hourly room or pod rentals. I can foresee a return of the glorious route 66