1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Stranger Things

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I enjoy the longer episodes. Get my moneys worth. Need more of this and less of those 38 min episodes on Disney+

Rocket River, clos4life and Andre0087 like this.
  2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Season 4 was much better than season 2 and season 3. The show is more enjoyable from a nostalgic 80's mashup view.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I agree. 2 and 3 were good, this is back at season 1 levels.

clos4life, Andre0087 and Yung-T like this.
  4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is it already established that Eleven created the upside down? I thought she opened a gate to the upside down. So she created the upside down to have a place to send 001?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

Think it was more like 11 opened the door to the upside down, threw 1 into it, and closed it.

But also think it is much more interesting if she created it... which the show could still do... as it adds some additional depth to her story and character.

#545 PhiSlammaJamma, Jun 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  6. Space Ghost

When Nancy went to her house to get her guns while in the upside down world, it was revealed time had stopped in the upside down world when Eleven pushed One through it...by the last entry in her diary. I read this as Eleven 'copied' the current state and pushed one into that new dimension.

cmoak1982, Xerobull and JumpMan like this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's not correct.

Time 'stopped' (or was copied) when Will goes into the Upside Down in 1983.

One is pushed in to the Upside Down in 1979.

DrNuegebauer, cmoak1982 and Yung-T like this.
  8. Space Ghost

Ahh I forgot the events of Season 1. I thought she escaped the lab because of that incident with One. Reading back, it was due to her trying to reach out to the Demogorgon.

Xerobull likes this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Time in the Upside Down in the version Vecna is breaking through is the day Eleven escaped Hawkins lab, not the day of the massacre/One being imprisoned. I'm not sure if time has stopped in the Upside Down with El leaving the lab or if Vecna is just breaking through from the past (i.e., Vecna's gates possibly are not time synced and the original gate is which would allow for time travel). If Vecna is attacking from the past...they could have someone go through the original gate that is potentially linked to 1983 to help Eleven escape, and setup the basis for the entire series.

Not sure what the explanation is, but I'm thinking time travel will happen.

Edit: What Xerobull said.

#549 Joe Joe, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    Yung-T and Xerobull like this.
  10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

So I was walking around Sao Paulo over the weekend and saw this giant line outside Burger King. Were they giving away free whoppers? No, it was a Stranger Things promo where the store was decorated and nothing was free. There had to be at least 500 people in line, without any cutting or arguments, to see a decorated Burger King and buy Stranger Things themed food and merch. I had to cross the street to get the scope of the line. This show is massive down here - it's getting promoted at all the malls.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    video from across the street: https://photos.app.goo.gl/pHowPBEthRWaCHur7

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Watson saga reminded me of this Stranger Things parody.

DreamShook likes this.
  12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Her story is a clipshow that is not impacting any characters current danger.

Has Maya Hawke's character totally changed? I don't remember her being a spaz.

DreamShook likes this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

yeah, I noticed that too. I remember her being a lot cooler last season; cooler than Steve. Now she's saying she doesn't know how to run and sh*t. Don't know why they made that change. The cast is so gawd damn huge now you can have 2 cool characters, right?

i guess not.

BamBam likes this.
  14. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

F Yeah! Looks really good!

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think the social media age turned everyone into wannabe overly critical reviewers instead of judging whether a movie is good entertainment.

Going by some of the comments I see online, these ppl would've reviewed every movie classic to shreds and called it boring or stupid.

16. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I was starting to get a little worried after watching the trailers for Season 3 that the show was getting too big for it's own good, but so far these first 7 episodes have dispelled that completely. This season has increased the intensity, darkness and complexity exponentially. And generally I've felt the show is at it's best when the whole gang is together, but the Duffers do a great job of weaving together all these different storylines and not lingering in one place for too long. It's a balancing act they handle very well.

I do miss a little bit the nerdy, youthful innocence of the kids from the first season, but the messy, complicated, awkward teenagers and the issues they must confront bring a nice sense of authenticity to the show. I do hope the Steve/Jonathon/Nancy love triangle gets resolved in a satisfyingly way cause I like all three characters, although I feel Jonathon has regressed for me a little. Seems a bit directionless languishing in California. In fact, for me, the California quartet of Will, Jonathon, Mike and Argyle are the weak link this season. Aside from the shootout in their house, there's not much urgency in their storyline.

I'm also disagreeing with the comments about El. Granted, in Season 2, while I enjoyed her side story, I found myself wanting to get back to the gang in Hawkins. Not so much here. Her trying to regain her powers and discover what type of person she is parallels the issues she faced at the beginning of the season when she was being bullied. She lashed out at Angela and we're left wondering if that's truly who she is, and I couldn't blame her at all if she allowed her anger to boil over and went savage on the lab. But we come to find out that she truly is the hero this world needs, but doesn't necessarily deserve. One of my favorite lines so far this season is Dr Wells telling her she's not the virus but the cure. That's a powerful statement and it makes the payoff in Episode 7 with her fight against 1 all the more meaningful.

I love that this show creates such endearing characters outside the Hawkins gang; that it can bring in new characters, from Max and Billy, to Bob and Dr Owens, to Argyle and Eddie, Murray and Dimitri and you quickly gravitate to them, and can even find you sympathizing with antagonists like Billy and now Brenner. A testament to the writing and direction as well as the acting, that you can hate a character like Brenner in Season 1 but can see new dimensions to him in this season that find you liking him in a small way.

The "Dear Billy" episode, and seeing Max's struggle against Vecna, is among the best in the series for me. Can't wait to see what happens next and how this all gets resolved for good in Eps 8 and 9 and Season 5. Seeing Joyce and Hop reunite gave me some feels, I can only imagine the inevitable Hop and El reunion.

Beezy, Yung-T, boomboom and 3 others like this.
  17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Sounds more like Dark!!

18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Love Dark, started re watching it this week. Must watch in German with subtitles though. the English translated version is not as good.

Yung-T likes this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

where are these critical reviewers though? Everyone loves this show. It's a hit on Netflix again. Even in this thread there is only 1 person that said they didn't want to see this season.

the most critical I have seen is people wanted the gang back together more instead of being split up. or they are such stranger things nerds they are finding inconsistencies with the lore.

Sajan likes this.
  20. Space Ghost

nit picking. Some expect Eleven to whip out her marvel super powers and end everything in episode 1.

DreamShook likes this.