1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inflation at its highest in 40 years…

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Dec 10, 2021.

1. adoo

adoo Member

dispense w the nonsense.

factors causing this global inflation
    • Trump's ill-conceived / ineffective trade war led to supply chain bottlenecks
    • Putin's invasion on Ukraine, adversely affecting the supply of oil and wheat
    that said, in the US, there are signs of anti-inflationary market dynamics
    • the Fed has raised 0.5 points on the interest rate, and ready for more raises in future Qtr this year
    • steady decline of lumber prices since the all-time high in mid-2021
    • in compensating for supply shortage, giant retailers (target, walmart, costco, etc) over-stock their inventory; they are aggressively reducing their inventory to get ready for back-to-school sales
      • this means more deep discount sales, which effectively lower the cost of many consumer goods

2. Major

Major Member

It's definitely not good news. As I've said several times - this is a supply chain issue and no one really knows how to fix it. Covid created shocks all over the economy that don't seem to be getting fixed, and then Ukraine added a new layer of problems. It seems like every industry is short-staffed, which brings up the question: where did all these workers go? And unfortunately, there's not much either Biden or the Fed can do because this isn't a fiscal or monetary issue driving any of this.

Edit: I have been a big supporter of Fed actions since 2008. They've navigated things almost perfectly. But what they are doing right now has the potential to make things worse instead of better. Fixing supply chains requires investment - making that stuff harder to finance is just going to slow or prevent actually solving the underlying problems here.

#702 Major, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    davidio840, jiggyfly and Ubiquitin like this.
  3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL!

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Agreed. Not much Biden or the Fed can do about this. Its all about picking the less worst option. Personally I think a deep recession is needed but that is completely politically unacceptable.

I believe supply and demand are a symptom, not the problem. Labor productivity has been down since Covid. Boomers are retiring. Generally I believe the work-from-home for *everything* model has failed spectacularly. Yes, there are jobs that are better performed from home, but generally speaking, workers under perform unsupervised. With a tight labor market, its harder to churn out underperforming employees. We can't get our over paid under performing employees to work overtime. The market is just very inefficient right now

davidio840, Nook and Major like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

That's nothing.

I would estimate it is close to $400 a week up in Chicago for us and there are only 3 of us.

Some of it is what my wife buys but some of it is just crazy inflation.

Astrodome likes this.
  6. Major

Major Member

100% agree with all of that - WFH is going to be a disaster long term, and employees are getting all sorts of jobs they aren't qualified for out of desperation. It's going to be interesting to see how all this plays out. I'm' really glad Covid took down my escape room business - I have no desire to be managing service-industry employees in this environment. From what I can tell, interviewing is a nightmare in itself, and then people take jobs and don't show up, leave randomly, etc.

Space Ghost, Ubiquitin and Nook like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cut down on the foie gras . . . seriously, plus it's cruel to animals :cool:

Sajan and Nook like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

My wife is insane with some of the stuff she purchases. Although it all gets eaten (not usually by me).

Os Trigonum likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The point of the article it seems was to illustrate that for some only having an electric car is not feasible because the infrastructure is not there.

Electric cars are designed to be a car and cars are bought to be able to meet your needs and not just daily drivers and short distances.

I don't understand why you have such an issue with the article it probably was eye-opening for a lot of people.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who's the 3rd?

Do you have kids?

Or is that the girlfriend.:D

11. HTM

HTM Member

@Nook feasting over here

12. Nook

Nook Member

I have a son.

No girlfriends living with me right now.

jiggyfly and Ubiquitin like this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People do not rent electric vehicles for road trips. So that's a contrived use case. Also, people who buy electric vehicles today don't buy them for long distance travel. Eye opening? Are you saying you didn't know taking an electric vehicle on a long distance trip over 200 miles is not a challenge?

No the article is meant to poo poo electric vehicles to a receptive audience. Junk and lazy journalism.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Mostly my wife feasting.

She has people over 4-5 times a week. Used to drive me crazy but I am mostly over it at this point.

She will make elaborate things like young roasted pig.... some of them are very good and some of them are not.

I finally told her she could buy whatever the hell she wanted but I wanted the food I wanted bought as well.... and so far she has bought everything I have put on my list.

This last 6-8 months I have told her she had to make choices and couldn't buy everything she wants, but she usually still does get what she wants food wise..... home delivery has made that part worse.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah it is unsustainable. I should add that my number doesn't even include meat because I get that from elsewhere.

I hope it gets better soon. When people are unable to afford food, things go haywire.

16. HTM

HTM Member

I’ve never used a food or grocery delivery app…. Expense and freshness of food are my concerns. Doesn’t appeal to me at all.

Sajan likes this.
  17. HTM

HTM Member

Lots of people are still seemingly living beyond their means in my experience.

If I go to Pappadeux for lunch or dinner… I see a lot of folks eating and drinking $75+ meals per person and I’m wondering who can afford this ****? It’s $50 for my meal alone, an entree and a soda, and I don’t drink alcohol.

Typical date? $150 probably
    Family of 4? $250 probably (if were factoring some kids in here)

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does it matter if they rent EVs or not?

It was about the viability of using an EV like you would a regular vehicle or do you think EV's should just be 2nd cars?

I knew it was a challenge but I did not know it was that much of a challenge and I am pretty versed in what is available.

I have no idea why you are taking this so personally did the article lie about anything?

Astrodome likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

I haven't been following this conversation, but I think the issue is that different vehicles are meant for different things. You wouldn't buy a smart car or a vespa if you wanted to travel cross country. You wouldn't buy a giant pickup truck if you just commute around New York. EVs aren't really currently meant for cross country trips - though I know Teslas will map out all the charging stations and tell you a route to keep you charged. That's not really a big deal - when regular gas cars first came out, there weren't gas stations everywhere either. The infrastructure comes later once it's profitable to build charging stations or add them to other stores.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and jiggyfly like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I totally agree with this but the average car buyer is not that versed and the article just shows that the infrastructure is not there.

Like I said I am fairly well versed on what's available and knew it would be inconvenient to do a cross country trip in a EV I did not realize exactly how inconvenient it would be, reading the EV thread you would think it would not be that hard.

My point being is that the infrastructure is farther behind than I thought.

Major likes this.