1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Rockets seriously explore trading UP to #4?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jun 3, 2022.

1. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

What’s hilarious for me is …. On 2k22 last night . I traded up and got the number 6 pick draft night , had to let go of Wood ,17th , 2nd round pick . I came away with Bancharo and Ivey on the same team …. Wow ! Make it happen !

Fulgore, randerson, saleem and 2 others like this.
  2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

We’ll see. I’d be surprised given how many players they’ve worked out that will likely be taken in the 15 - 25 range.

3. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I thought about that as well, but the primary reason the Lakers got AD was because Lebron signed as a Free Agent and they got Lebron because they are the Lakers, but yes those players were necessary to get AD so valid point. Houston is a different market although still an appealing one to NBA players, but we don't have the same margin for error. I actually think the Lakers drafted pretty well all things considered , in 2017 they took Lonzo over Tatum and in 2015 they took DLo 2nd which was not a bad pick, the next best player didnt come until #13 at Devin Booker. I don't think anyone but Boston had Tatum that high, there were multiple teams missing on him. If they held onto all of their players instead of grabbing the one bubble ring, they would probably be fairly competitive with DLo, Ingram, Lonzo, Randle, Caruso. We ,have not seen stone really need to make complex decisions yet when it comes to the draft, this year could very well be a test. I think only a handful of teams (Boston, OKC, Toronto) would be able to pull off 3-4 years of consecutive home runs in the draft. A perfect Lakers draft would have net them Booker, Ingram, and Tatum - not sure of many GMs who would have seen this.

theDude and Nook like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Do the Lakers get LeBron without having young assets to trade to build around him? I doubt it honestly but we won't ever know.

As for the Lakers and their picks..... they drafted "okay", part of it was that the 2014 draft wasn't all that great. They went 7th and took a flawed but productive player in Julius Randall. They passed on guys like Capela, LaVine, Warren and Jokic but so did other teams and it wasn't a very good draft outside of Embiid and Jokic.

In 2015 they were again in a mediocre draft and took the guy at #2 that most expected would be an all star quality guard, but he really wasn't (Russell). They probably should have taken Porzingas but it isn't like the 2015 draft was loaded.

In 2016 they took Brandon Ingram, which was "okay", but not optimal. They passed on Jaylen Brown which hurts a lot.

In 2017 they had a bad draft. They took Lonzo Ball over Tatum, Mitchell and Adebayo, Allen, Anunoby.

So the Lakers did "okay" but nothing special, I would actually say they did mediocre. A couple of the drafts they had were weak and a couple were not. They for example passed on having Brown/Tatum as their core.... and there were others as well.

Getting the draft picks is one thing, and it is huge but you also need to draft well. You can wiff some if you get a franchise player (which the Lakers didn't get).

So you don't need homers every draft, but you need to hit on a couple big ones and the Lakers didn't do that but had chances to.....

The early returns on Green are positive.... need to hit on #3 too as well.

steddinotayto likes this.
  5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Most realistic situation i see is

Trade sengun/tate/17 for #7

Trade #7/ego/wood for #4

With salary filler it works out and is doable. Saves all future assets. Hurts to do imo, but typically a trade like this WOULD hurt to become possible.

Ivey
    Green
    KPJ
    Banchero
    Holmes (salary filler from kings)

Or

KPJ
    Green
    Mathews
    Banchero
    Chet

Full trade below:

Houston out: #17, wood, ego, sengun, tate
    Houston in: #4, bledsoe, holmes, holiday

Sacremento out: #4, holmes, holiday, harkless, davis
    Sacremento in: #7, wood, ego

Portland out: #7, bledsoe
    Portland in: #17, sengun, tate, harkless, davis

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Mitch Kupchak's draft history is pretty unspectacular. Granted he had Kobe for most of his GM tenure with LA so high picks weren't always to be had but when he did have them....I don't know if he did proper scouting or went with the flavor of the month selection. I know Magic Johnson (Lonzo Ball) sure as hell did.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I could endorse such a thing.

Bledsoe waived allows us to go after Chris Boucher.

Garuba should be able to contribute this season as well. Re-sign Bruno

groovemachine and saleem like this.
  8. monster

monster Member

If you’re willing to give up so much for Ivey, why not draft him at #3. We could use all those assets for a big. How that trade works and who to target, I leave to the experts here.

saleem likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll go a step further, if they are so unsatisfied with the team's current starting SG that they want to draft another one with the top pick, just trade Green for the #1 pick and take Ivey with it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They're satisfied and excited about Jalen Green's future with the Rockets. Silas has said this himself.

11. TheBeastSystem

Ivey is the very obvious pick between he and Paolo. it should be clear to everybody. if we aren't trading up for Chet or trading down to leverage more into the 2023 draft and increase our lottery odds, then Ivey is the pick.

Of course, we should try to trade 2023 pick swap rights plus #17 and #3 to OKC for #2 to draft Chet before we go ahead and pick Ivey if Bari and Chet go 1-2.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I thought that might be the case.... so just maybe they aren't in the market for a new SG..... so we can stop with the Ivey BS

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

What are some of the reasons you think Ivey is going to be such an amazing player ??

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't necissarily think he's going to be. I was questioning why, if we're satisfied with our current SG.... and I am, we would draft a SG with a top pick this year. It doesn't make any sense to me.

In my estimation Ivey is just a smaller, less talented in every possible way version of Green. If rather just stick with the version we have.

randerson likes this.
  15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Obviously bobby misses the point of acquiring an 'additional' top 4 pick.

Has literal zero to do with green ot the fact we have a sg, and everything to do with grabbing another top tier talent/prospect that happens to be BPA.

Getting both banchero and ivey to add to green would be spectacular and it takes a special kind of dumb to try and argue against that.

Trackwell, groovemachine and YOLO like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously you don't understand that you'd be wasting the pick if you already had the SG you want... you don't draft a guy that high too be a bench player but there would be nowhere on the court for him without making the team worse.

Green pretty much has transition and plays where the defense isn't set covered.... and that's the ONLY thing Ivey is any good at.

Let's say you pencil in Ivey at the point despite his complete lack of PG skills.... well, now you've gotten smaller, your shooting is worse, you have no one capable of running the point, and you're worse defensively.

It's obscenely stupid to think any of that would be a good thing.

17. TheBeastSystem

Drive
    IQ
    Environment (Coach mother)
    Work ethic
    Size and length
    ultra quick first step
    speed
    developing jump shot not based on speed and burst but based on the space created by his speed and burst (opposite of Russ who runs into the defense and then launches quick J's that have a terrible connect rate.).

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For more information on this strategy, please read The Sacramento Kings Guide to NBA Drafting.

saleem and Bobbythegreat like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

a concept so incredibly simple and basically common sense

groovemachine likes this.
  20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I think the top half of the first round of this draft is going to be very good. I generally am not a huge fan of moving up, but I’d definitely package that 17 pick along with some other things (players, future picks) to do it this year, especially if you could somehow get Keegan Murray out of it. Getting Murray and one of the three bigs would be franchise altering.

ApacheWarrior likes this.