1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are really our only viable trade partners to move up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hemingway, May 29, 2022.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Rumors suggest that Sac does not want Ivey; Indy does.
    Rumors suggest Blazers for sale. What will that mean for roster creation in interim?
    Rumors suggest Pistons want want want one of the three bigs.

OK, 3 to Indy for #6 + unprotected 1 next season?
    Or, 3 to Sac for #4 + unprotected 1 next season?
    Or, 3 to Det for #5 + unprotected #1 next season?
    Or, Wood to Blazers for #7 + Bledsoe. Saves @5 mil and both are technically expirings. Add Tate? Add #17 and Blazers #1 in a future year?

I could see any of those. IF - FO is not nearly as sold on (presumably) PB as any of the others might be. Two shots at #1 overall next season’s draft feels good to me.

Lakes - seems possible tome that Russ/Wall + THT/ Nunn future #1 + 1/swap EGo, Tate, Mathews or similar gives LAL a better fit at the 1, good player in EGo, complementary piece in Tate and a Monk-esque bench depth is great, ok very good, for LAL

Knixies - Noel/Kemba #11 - EGo/Tate #17.

That’s my 2+2 = 4, or 5,6,7 whadda I know?

joshuaao likes this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

honestly probably not much. And I also think we’d be outbid for #7 as well. Washington at #10 and the Knicks at 11 are probably our first realistic trade partner options.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Just an fyi, I’ve been told the Blazers sale will take around a year. It’s not gonna affect their 2022 draft.

#23 Aruba77, May 29, 2022
    Last edited: May 29, 2022
    Nook and raining threes like this.
  4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

in some sports franchise sales the seller strips the team for new owner to have a ‘clean’ slate with which to start; and 6 months is more in line with what I have heard.

but what effect on this summer? No clue.

5. Raven

Raven Member

#7 for Wood is laughable.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I wonder how possible it would be for us to get into a deal with BOTH Portland and Charlotte.

Something that gives Charlotte the opportunity to ditch Haywood and Portland the opportunity to collect a starter and still have some assets to trade for Jerami Grant (they have an exception they can use to take back his salary in exchange for picks)

Hou in
    PJ Washington (salary dump from Cha)
    Justise Winslow (salary dump from Por)

Por in
    Gordon Hayward (salary dump from Cha)
    Mason Plumlee (salary dump from Cha)
    KJ Martin (asset)

Cha in

Eric Bledsoe (salary matching, mostly NG contract to be waived)
    Christian Wood (to start at C for the run and gun Hornets)
    Jae'Sean Tate (the price of doing business for Houston)

Portland could possibly then flip #17, Keon Johnson and their 2025 Milwaukee 1st rounder for Jerami Grant (into a TE). Effectively they would walk away from the draft with Hayward and Grant, a backup C (assuming they choose to re-sign Nurkic as starter) and a backup forward in KJ Martin. It's probably the kind of moves they'd want to make to work around Lillard. Leaves them with the exceptions to spend (most likely on 3nD guys), and re-signing their own FAs (Nurkic and Simmons).

Charlotte an athletic frontline with Wood, Bridges, McDaniels and Oubre. Backup in Tate. And pick 15 to add to their stocks (they still have young long bigs in Richards, Jones and JT Thor). If they wave Bledsoe, they could have around 50-60mill in cap space to sign FAs (after extending the QO to Bridges). They could make a decent play at pretty much any of the top names on the market and see how they fare - their lineup would be fluid enough to accommodate anything except a point)

Houston is playing asset flipping here. Wood, Tate and Martin are being cashed in for pieces that shouldn't have a significant effect on the long term capspace. It also gets Wood/ Tate and Martin "out of the way" for whichever forwards or centres the Rockets might select with a host of draft picks.
    For arguments sake, they could take Banchero (#3), Daniels (#7), Eason (#13) and Koloko (#36). Or select Murray (#7) and Dieng (#13) - let Murray be the backup rotation big, and Dieng a full season in the GLeague. Let the mind roam free!

7. dmoneybangbang

I'd be. I really do worry about the off court/ mental stability issues with his contract looming.

Dacamel likes this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

KPJ for 8th, in a heart beat. :D

raining threes likes this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Rockets should offer the 17th, KJM and JC for the 10th pick. This package can outmatch Davis , Eason, AJG or Sochan. They're a pretty conservative organization.
    I hate giving up Josh, but there aren't enough minutes for him even right now.
    We should take a swing at Duran here. He can switch onto the perimeter and dunk/ block shots. There is some additional upside to him too.
    @Clutch

raining threes likes this.
  10. raining threes

Yes

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Woah!!! When did Porter get into the trades??! First Sengun. Now KPJ. You guys are ruthless!

red5rocket and saleem like this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Do not trade Josh Christopher. Ever.

13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

There is always a chance to trade with OKC. They had a ton of picks last year too when we traded with them.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think they are a reasonable trade partner.

All of their contracts except for Nance Jr extend beyond the point we'd accept in return and they wouldn't give you 8 for EG and probably not for KPJ either. They would have little interest in CW.

The two most likely deals are Portland & Charlotte.

saleem likes this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is brilliant. He needs minutes. If he can become the backup PG/ SG instead of point guard Nix, then he can continue to shine for the Rockets.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nix and Christopher are about to go off.

17. fattz

fattz Member

Long term/short term

It’s a cap thing as much talent

Sengun will be a lot more controllable then an unrestricted free agent like Porter. Cashing in on Porter before paying him is just business. If 1/2 the players pan out than cap space is going to be the thing that tears the team apart. Ever penny counts ask OKC.

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

KPJ has very little trade value due to his past.

red5rocket and saleem like this.
  19. fattz

fattz Member

True so will he take a lesser contract? We will overpay because he the most value to us. Then will won’t have the cap space when needed AND hung with his bad contract.

20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m going to need to be convinced on Nix. I hope he does, but I’m not holding my breath. I still think we need some sort of veteran PG presence.

snowconeman22 likes this.