1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Post of the year

2. marinara

marinara Member

Sengun

Banchero

Tate? KJ?

Green

KPJ

6th JC

7th Tate/KJ

8th Vet SF?

9th 17th pick hopefully Williams type

10th Nix

11th Matthews

12th Gordon (vet presence)

13th Garuba

14th Queen?

15th ???

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

JC
    JG
    Eason
    Paolo
    Sengun

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Kyrie
    Green
    Gordon
    Paolo
    Wood

(how much would ClutchFans love this lineup?)

peleincubus likes this.
  5. StrawberryJamm

Not gonna get into trades but as far as roster construction, I foresee a 2 year stop gap mid 20's age rim protector/ lob threat. Don't think we get our long term switchable 5 at this point in the rebuild.

Something along the lines of Mitchell Robinson, Hartenstein, Christian Wood (if we must) someone that can start with Jalen, KPJ, and Banchero cover up some mistakes and won't cry if they don't close because Sengun is cooking.

Im a huge Sengun fan and love the idea of giving him the keys to the offense for half the game and a steady role from age 19-22 with JayGup there the whole way, 48 minutes of fun basketball. Let's get this man a 6th man of the year award at 22 years old before Rudy Gobert, Joel Embiid, Nikola Jokic, and James Harden became starters in the league.

topfive, arabrocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Wood, Gordon, Mathews, 17 to the Hornets for Hayward, 13.

Hornets add a PnR threat for LaMelo, a 2ndary scorer, a shooter and get Hayward off their books. Rockets get the pick they need to land Mike Williams.

Porter - Nix - (Wall)
    Green - Christopher - Queen
    Hayward (when healthy) - Martin - Tate
    Banchero - Garuba - Nwaba
    Sengun - Williams - Dwight Howard/FA

I'm kind of stuck on adding Banchero and Williams. Banchero because obvious, Williams because I think a Wood+assets trade lands us right in that late lottery zone where he'll be available. Adding a rim protecting presence behind Sengun, a real 7 footer, a true lob threat gives the team a different look to throw out there. I think you have a starting 5 that has quite a bit of offensive pop and you sub in defenders in rotations. First rotation you sub in Christopher - Green - Martin/Tate - Banchero - Williams and let PB&J work. Next rotation is Porter - Christopher - Martin/Tate - Garuba - Sengun. Porter can get some ISOs in and Sengun can post, feed energy players on cuts to the basket. Each rotation has a scoring duo. Each rotation has a defensive big to help and protect the offensive big. Christopher is a 6th man if I've ever seen one and fits next to anyone. Martin/Tate just have to hustle, not asking them to be anything but the best 5th option they can be. Make energy plays, thump chest on defense and take advantage of the attention given to other players.

It makes too much sense.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just watched Adam Spinella's latest mock draft and he has Jalen Duren falling to 12 now and, consequently, Mark Williams falling all the way to 20. If he's right, we wouldn't need to give up anything to get Williams.

8. fattz

fattz Member

I like this a lot. If Eason is gone then Kendall Brown in a similar role. Garuba is the real thing, (hope his 3 starts to fall) he maybe our big wing and cover up Green’s shortcomings while Green covers his. Christopher should start to let everyone get their touches and then let Porter put on a show. Wood and Tate —> we should get what we can (any reasonable return) —> not opposed to some euro stashing for a few years, too.

don grahamleone, Fulgore and Losmi_34 like this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You SOB. Sign out of your account and lose the password!

lol

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

If you guaranteed Williams available at 17 and the Rockets passed they better have drafted a damned good player. I'd be so freaking excited to have a real 7' rim runner/protector type behind Sengun. That's the perfect complement IMO.

I don't want a guard. I'm not sold on any of the wings. Adding a guy like Williams, who's role is clearly defined coming in is basically a safe pick but it's so needed as well. Go be tall and scare rotation guards. Go clean up boards and throw down dunks. He's got chemistry with Banchero already. That rotation writes itself, what am I pro coach? Hell no I've just chosen a balanced roster after years of smol bol and 12/15 roster spots being guards. **** all of that noise. Get a big man. GET TWO. Give them a chance to work out and behold, when we're beyond the Wall we'll have reasons and decent sample sizes behind the decisions.

Porter - Green - Tate - Banchero - Sengun
    Nix - Christopher - Martin - Garuba - Williams

This is my 10 and I'll ride with the development. Every last one of them has both something to offer now and in potential. This squad has defined roles and nobody playing out of position. Even Silas couldn't **** this rotation up.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

fattz, this was one of the most pleasant posts I've read recently and honestly a lot of what I've read lately has been pretty pleasant.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I love this dream. Mark Williams and Paolo Banchero make a dream draft for me, but part of me thinks Orlando is going to wise up and draft Banchero. The idea that Mark Williams could possibly fall to 17 seems impossible. That man has no obvious weakness other than MAYBE not being the man you go to in the clutch moments. I think Mark is going to be a stud with an awesome, awesome career. I have him going at 5, 6, or 7.

palmsnbananas and D-rock like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wow.

5, 6 or 7 would be quite the rise.

saleem and don grahamleone like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Who is even Wembanyana's NBA comp?

And please don't say Gobert, their games are completely different.

luckyman76, Rudyc281 and saleem like this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't give a damn where he goes as long it's not Houston.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I sure hope so.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I know many folks around the nba believe the text book 7 foot center is dead and it’s not worth spending a high draft pick on that type of player, but Portland is about to give up the farm for Ayton, and Mark Williams is a better prospect in my opinion. I don’t see any possible way he falls to 17, but if he does, we better pull the trigger.

as far as 2023 free agency goes: DeAngelo Russell.

palmsnbananas and D-rock like this.
  20. Landry's Tooth

To Knicks
    Donovan Mitchell
    John Wall
    Azubuike

To Jazz
    Christian Wood
    JaeSean Tate
    Alec Burks
    Evan Fournier
    Kemba Walker
    #3 pick
    Future pick from Knicks

To Rockets
    RJ Barrett
    Cam Redish
    Mike Conley
    Julius Randle
    #11 pick

Jazz rebuild around Butler/Fournier backcourt. They pick up Wood to pair with Gobert. They then get a premium pick to build around. Possibly Ivey or Banchero...
    Fournier is only long term money coming back.

Knicks get Mitchell without dealing 5 future picks and swaps which would be very risky. They pickup Wall to pair with him for a season and then get cap relief for someone to play with Mitchell. Redish and Barrett may be on the outs with coach tom... they are due long term money soon and may not want to lock in roster.

Rockets get Barrett who may have more upside than Banchero or Ivey. They take on Randle to rehab his value and replace Wood. This also takes them out of running for max free agent in a weak year. They still pick up a late lottery pick to target a defensive big...

Lineup
    Conley
    Green
    Barrett
    Randle
    Sengun

Bench
    Gordon
    Porter
    Redish
    Christopher
    Martin
    Nwaba
    Mathews
    Garuba
    Nix
    2 rookies? Mark Williams?

Have 2 cut a few guys so more trades could come along...

Fyi, this assumes the Rockets aren't in love with who is there at 3 or the free agent crop in a year...

I'm not sold on it but pairing Green with Barrett would be intriguing to me... whoever we pick at #3 still has a decent chance of not being an nba player. Evan Turner and Michael Beasley were top 3 picks... probably less risky...

Would want the scouts telling me Barretts 3 point shot coming back....