1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building around Paolo and liking it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 21, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve never said Sengun is more athletic. I’ve said they’re both not beating people with athleticism. Average to above average NBA athletes. Don’t put words in my mouth.

And what I’m saying is, you and others are comparing him to different types of players. You all want Paolo to be a wing so bad it hurts. He profiles as a 4 and 4 only. If he can play wind and do some facilitating, that would make his upside higher. But he’s never going to be a Luka or Lebron.
    He might be able to reach Tatum but that’s still a lot of projection.

raining threes and hakeem94 like this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Paolo is not a better half court passer than Sengun.
    Transition? Possibly
    And KPJ averages 6.2 assists this season, if Paolo ever hits that I will leave this forum. And I’m not even a KPJ fan.

Just a small snippet of passes

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Per 82games.com Tatum played 67% of his minutes this year at PF.
    http://www.82games.com/2122/21BOS18.HTM#bypos

This is what I expect for Paolo. The rest of statins were at SF. I think Paolo could get a very small amount of time at center. And the rest at SF.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I can see that, but when then it’s still a lot of projection. Tatum level player would be a dream come true

5. JayZ750

there’s a video the last page showing lots of similarities with Tatum. . It’s easy to say “meh, he’s really a PF!” because of his size but if you literally just made him 2 inches shorter almost all of his game style - in high school, in college and in workouts - is as a SF that can post up and play with power when he wants.

I think there’s also a tendency to view SFs in todays nba as super shifty guard like players. Probably because the nba has gotten smaller and we’re used to guys like Eric Gordon playing smaller. The reality is PG, Kawhi, KD, Tatum, Lebron, Ingram, Bridges… for the most part these are not super shifty, Kyrie-esque dribbling guard like wings. Sure when PG is on, his dribbling is crazy good and his outside game is crazy good. Sure young Lebron was just as much a PG as a SF he was that good and fast. But for the most part these guys are FORWARDS… big wings that play outside in more than inside out but are still closer to a forward than a guard hence the name forward.

I get it. Tweener I view as bad more than good - can be amazing for great players but if not it can become a player without a position. I get it college isn’t the nba. I get it Paolo doesn’t play quite as “straight-up” a look to his frame all the time which makes him look like he’s leading with his shoulder, relying on spin moves, “bullying” more - compared to Tatum who just stands posture wise more vertically so just “looks” more SF like.

but if you look at the actual game tape… Paolo plays VERY similarly to Tatum. To me, his handle and passing are more advanced than Tatum’s were coming out of college. But on the whole their stats at Duke are so so so similar.

I’m a bit confused as to why it’s not a great comp? I think he’s the better prospect coming out - slightly - but what Tatum’s done in the league is other worldly. Which is why it’s more than about just what’s on paper. Tatum has become a better shooter, defender and passer in the league. He plays with VERY high iq.

So again to me from here on out with Paolo it’s what’s between the ears more than anything. the good news is the kids really wants it. He’s a gym rat. He’s a workout warrior, getting up at 5 am to hit the gym for years.

None of the above mean Jabari or Chet don’t have crazy potential either but this thread is about Paolo.

6. MystikArkitect

Paolo has more of an alpha personality than Tatum as well. Thats probably my favorite thing about him. The only other player on this roster that has that is Jaygup.

One of the weird things about the draft process is trying to lump players with other players. Happened last year too. Cade was apparently bargain Luka and Green was Zach Lavine. Mobley was baby Davis. None of those are or were even close to right. These players are unique and have their own game to them. I dont think Paolo or Chet have accurate comps. Only Jabari has one I think in Klay. Maybe Ivey with Morant.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. vator

vator Contributing Member

That’s not KPJ’s account. I was going to say something last night and forgot. I don’t know why some people on Twitter do that. He has the same profile pic and name so it’s easy to fool people. Not KPJ though.

D-rock, xtruroyaltyx and xaos like this.
  8. vator

vator Contributing Member

What do you mean digging his own grave? I’m sure you’ve explained your viewpoint on this so sorry, but it might take me an hour digging through your old posts lol.

D-rock likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I have watched literally every minute of this seasons Paolo and Chet, almost all of Jabari.
    I don’t see Tatum in Paolo, I see flashes but I don’t see Tatum.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sengun has better court vision, as far as I can see. (I admit what I have seen is limited. Sengun didn't play a lot of NBA minutes. Banchero played none.) Banchero is a superior ball handler. His passing on the move is much more fluid than Sengun.

You kind of exaggerate about KPJ. He is inferior to both big men no doubt. He is a shoot first kind of player. But he's not totally incompetent. That said, I still don't trust him as our future starting PG. His best role should be a scoring punch off the bench, somewhat like a poor man's Eric Gordon.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, that's a French fan account.....

D-rock likes this.
  12. xaos

xaos Member

Sorry for posting and thanks for pointing it out. It fooled me and I should've checked!

vator and D-rock like this.
  13. Tadow

Tadow Member

1st comp that came to mind for me when I watched Paolo's videos on here was Lamarcus Aldridge

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh? Both Cade and Green did play like bargain Luka and Zach Lavine. Cade played an "unathletic" style like Luka and served ss the Pistons engine like Luka. Green was an athletic sniper like Zach Lavine.

The only issue is Cade sorta misled everyone with his height everyone thought he was 6'8 like Luka apparently he is just 6'6.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. JayZ750

Nice! That’s dedication lol. I have definitely NOT watched every minute but a lot of all 3. I still rank them Chet, Paolo, Jabari.

but I definitely absolutely see Tatum in him. To the point he is my best comp - offensively at least for sure. Paolo thinks so as well.

especially if you look at Tatum at Duke - vid below.

Tatum was isnt as has never been this super explosive player. He has a “lumbering” deliberate feel to him as well. Ala Luka. Guys that just play their game.

i also consider how the season ended for Paolo. Remember he was on a loaded Duke team and like Jalen like lots of young players they don’t always come in and immediately dominate 25 ppg style. Paolo was working within the system then eventually finally when he and coach K were comfortable they were like it’s your team go to town and he went to town.

Is Paolo a bigger version? Absolutely. Is 250 too heavy to be this envisioned SF-esque PF? Probably. 235 probably ideal. But a taller bigger Tatum isn’t bad, it’s good lol.

Again he’ll have to get there. A consistent 37%+ three ball makes him unguardable.

16. JayZ750

this comp makes very little sense to me. LMA wasn’t a ballhandler, passer or much of a 3point shooter (just no volume most years meh %).

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If he could drop to 230/235 and play the wing like Tatum. We would be lucky to have him.
    No matter what if he’s there at 3 you run up and take him. I like Paolo, but I’m still in wait and see.
    I personally think Chet and Jabari translate easier while also having upside.

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Well, finally got through this thread and it definitely has me really excited if Paolo falls to us at #3. Having said that, I'm not sure he does now. He is definitely the highest floor of the 3 imo and after watching some more of his HS videos, it's easy to see why folks thought he has potential to be a generational talent.

I've been a Chet guy, because I think he's so unique that he would help solve our defensive issues while also being a very competent offensive player. Jabari is an incredible shooter, good defender and the youngest... he'd be a great fit for us as well.

However, when you look at the three and think who will likely become the best player from this class, I think Paolo is that guy. I'm officially a convert and will be ecstatic if he falls to the third pick.

The beauty of this draft for me, is if he doesn't I'll actually be pretty happy with either Chet or Jabari as well. It's kind of a great position to be in, at least from a fan's perspective.

19. MystikArkitect

The way I see it, the Rockets either end up with either a true ball handing offensive mismatch to complement Green and KPj, or they end up with a sharpshooting 6-10 defensive hound to complement Green and KPj.

They either shift more like the Warriors with Curry/Klay (Jabari) or shift more towards the Celtics with Brown/Tatum/Smart (Paolo).

D-rock, Easy and Shark44 like this.
  20. Spooner

Spooner Member

Might be too early to write the book on those guys. Cole is the leader of the team and has star potential and they invested too high of a pick into Suggs to make that call so quickly. Jalen Green and Suggs were both really bad to start the year, only difference is Suggs got hurt before Green found his rhythm and when he did come back to end the year he started to finally put some things together. If that was Green who had gotten hurt and had only shown glimpses, I don't think Rockets brass would be ready to throw him to the curb after year one.

If the Magic take Paolo, how do you develop him without taking the ball out of the hands of the promising young guards you already have? None of those guards as well as Isaac can hit 3 point shots reliably at this juncture. Concerns about Paolo's shot would only compound this issue and the spacing wouldn't allow him to otherwise play his game. Are those really the best conditions for Paolo to reach his potential? Would he project more off ball and is that maximizing his talent? Or do you develop Cole into a star, put emphasis on developing Suggs and allow Fultz to continue growing as a playmaker? The numbers with Cole on and off the floor speak for themselves.

If you take Paolo I'm not sure you can do any of those things properly. I am also not sure you can develop Paolo into the type of player he needs to be if he's relegated to an off ball role on a team with very little spacing. Now if you took Jabari, not only does it immediately help all of your young talent by getting them exactly what they need. You put Jabari in a great position to develop playing along 3 promising young playmaking guards who can help Jabari maximize his own offense. If you take Paolo, with all of the issues it causes and needing to build around your new #1 pick, you might need to completely start over and build around him. Otherwise there will be a lot of problems for the team, your other young players, and Paolo himself. If you took Jabari, all of your young talent will have a better chance at success. You can keep everything you've been building in place. You get Cole, Suggs and a very nice high upside player in Jabari who all can feed off each other's strengths.