1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anyone take these supplements?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Lion's Mane Capsules - Made with U.S. grown organic mushroom mycelium for Memory & Nerve Support

Ashwagandha Gummies - Relax, restore, unwind

I don't know wtf these items are but my brother swears they work. He says he's been on Lion's Mane for 5 years for memory support. He's five years older and didn't tell me he was on them for five years. So, I think he waited 5 years before telling me so I would start on them when he did and not have a head start. ;)

I've never been a big fan of pills of any kind but, especially, supplements...because it's a crapshoot whether it is just a waste of money or what it's doing for you.

But, bro bought me these supplements to start taking. Just wondering if anyone is on these and are they doing anything for you that you can point out?

I don't want to be flushing money away on supplements. I guess I have a sh_t-ton of research to do. That said...I would like to hear what supplements you take and what you swear by. This stuff may get more important as the years pile on.

There's a paranoia around Alzheimer's since my Dad had it. I personally think that the best thing I can do is get back to jogging a mile or two most days a week. That...and weightlifting. I was doing that from March - October last year and have done it for long periods in prior years.

#1 Surfguy, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    Xerobull likes this.
  2. Newlin

Newlin Member

Well, the reviews on Amazon are fantastic!

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yes. I take them. Lion's Mane is a nootropic and immune system booster. Ashwagandha is a testosterone booster and a nootropic.

Here are my notes on each:

Lion's Mane Could Protect Against Dementia, Helps Relieve Mild Symptoms of Depression and Anxiety, May Speed Recovery from Nervous System Injuries, Protects Against Ulcers in the Digestive Tract, Reduces Heart Disease Risk, May Help Fight Cancer, Reduces Inflammation and Oxidative Stress, Boosts the Immune System, Diabetes management

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/lions-mane-mushroom

Ashwagandha May help reduce stress and anxiety, May benefit athletic performance , May reduce symptoms of some mental health conditions, May help boost testosterone and increase fertility in men, May reduce blood sugar levels, May reduce inflammation, May improve brain function, including memory, May help improve sleep

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ashwagandha

I take about a dozen other nootropics as well as four or five other testosterone boosters. They make a massive difference in my cognition and energy.

Many of them are also good for treating Alzheimer's, Dementia, Depression and Anxiety

(I also take a ****-ton of other supplements and vitamins. Over 30 pills a day, plus powders for drinks).

I have a huge spreadsheet with all of the **** I take. I'll upload it to google drive if there's interest.

5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

30 pills a day almost certainly isn't a good idea and may actually be detrimental, but you seem to know your stuff a bit so I'll leave it alone.

I stick to:

B complex
    Mag Taureate
    NAC
    Vit D
    DIM
    DHEA
    Vit C
    Probiotic
    Omega-3, 6

Interested in Lion's mane

6. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

horny goat weed

download.jpg

DonkeyMagic, jiggyfly and mikol13 like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You have too manny.

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  8. Xerobull

Subjective. I'll let you guys know if I grow a third penis.

VooDooPope, Deckard, Blatz and 2 others like this.
  9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

If you want Lion's Mane, then eat the mushrooms themselves rather than a supplement.

My biggest problem with supplements is they are completely unregulated and therefore there is nobody checking to make sure what they advertise is even in the bottle or at what quantity, much less checking to see what else they put in there, unintentionally or intentionally.

Even the regulated stuff, we found out that ground beef, it was common to add up to 10% of saw dust as a filler. yum.

Eat natural products and do natural stuff. Afterall, it's how humans existed for the last 100,000 years.

Nook and Sajan like this.
  10. Sajan

Sajan Member

the amount of money people spend on supplements...unregulated industry ...no thank you.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any water soluble vitamin you just pee out if you take too much. Not a big deal. Just will turn your pee vibrant orange/yellow.

You may literally be pissing money away, but it's difficult to do real harm unless you take megadoses of minerals, or "herbal" supplements with funky chemicals that can be toxic. Most of the reputable supplements that are known to potentually cause harm are sold in forms that mitigate that or come with very clear warnings.

I do wonder, though, why people take all these marginally effective "testosterone boosters" that have little to no effect when you can go get a shot of pure testosterone at 1000 shady "men's clinics" around town. Maybe marginally more expensive, but the effect is about 1,000× greater.

Ubiquitin and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I've purchased Lion's Mane supplements from Host Defense in the past (fungi.com and/or Amazon). I'm not an expert but, from what I've read online, I wouldn't buy a mycelium based Lion's Mane from anyone else.

This is another product I started taking a couple months back. I didn't really notice an improvement, but like a few reviewers, I've felt foggy since running out...

If you ever get around to it, wouldn't mind seeing your supplement list @Xerobull . I don't take many at the moment, but I've kept a local supplement seller here afloat for a while now.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

[​IMG]

This is all you need. The ancient Egyptians were an advanced civilization so I choose to follow their methods.

14. Xerobull

15. Xerobull

Do you want to look like Joe Rogan?

There are a lot of bad side effects from Testo treatment, including shrunken testicles, b**** t*** (which requires another medicine to mitigate), baldness, more blood volume which requires you give blood on a regular basis, decreased sperm count, acne, prostate growth etc.

Upside: Weight loss, increased sex drive (ymmv and your partner might not appreciate the vastly increased boning), better energy.

Side effects of testo therapy

I would rather try to fix the root cause of the issue with supplements and the proper nutrition.

Here's the spreadsheet.

Note: 'Type' and 'Secondary Type' are my own notes/conclusions. Do your own research. There are links. Also, I won't update this, because Excel >>>>> Sheets

@Surfguy lots of notes on Alzheimer's

16. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

I'd be interested man, definitely. Let me know! Or just PM me too :). I struggle a bit with focus/energy even with ADD medicine due to poorer sleep.

17. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

I take Fish Oil (good for inflammation, decent for depression), Zinc, A multivitamin, Zhou DIM Active (testosterone) .

18. Xerobull

Spreadsheet here with brands

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

What does your doctor say about you taking all that stuff? How much does it cost you?

Is there such a thing as liver overload?

If you had to strip that list down to bare essentials of no more than five, then which ones would you pick and why?

20. Xerobull

My source of truth is my bloodwork and listening to my body.

I get detailed bloodwork at least twice a year. I don't go into details on what I take because I've found that it confounds them. General practitioners simply don't have the working knowledge outside of the normal person's dietary intake. In other words, they deal with plebs who eat fast food or maybe a keto diet with little or no supplementation.

As for liver: My numbers are very good. Better than they were two years ago, in fact, since I don't drink anymore.

They were concerned that my potassium levels were 'normal', when most people don't have even 20% of the potassium they need (you would have to eat 8-10 bananas a day). When I explained that I took potassium they were like, wow, you're on top of it.

Cost is negligible....$100 a month? Maybe more. I don't care about the cost, it's a priority. I feel amazing. Since I started on these supplements, I sleep better, I think better, my memory is better, I haven't been sick, my sex drive is up, I am leaner, I am calmer and happier. I used to get down and want to go out and party as a Band-Aid, and the need for that is gone. Anxiety is down, temper is much better. I get more work done. I can't argue with the results. It's like cutting out Coke and fast food from your diet x10. Clarity.

As for bare essentials, I would have to think about it. Definitely my probotic multivitamin and my AminoLean drink powder. L-Lysine is massively helpful for staying well.