1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Who are really our only viable trade partners to move up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hemingway, May 29, 2022.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If we take trading down off the table who are the lottery teams that make sense as a trade partner to move up from 17. When determining my list I looked at roster needs, re-build vs. re-tool, salary match-ups, future picks, coaching and FO philosophy and aptitude. My take:

Orlando - No chance
    Oklahoma - No chance at 2
    Kings - chance because they are the Kings.
    Detroit - no chance re-building not looking for vets bad roster matchups
    Indianapolis - no chance re-building roster matchups
    Portland - chance
    New Orleans - no chance roster needs don’t match
    San Antonio - no chance coach/FO aptitude
    Wizards - chance because they are the Wizard
    Knicks - no chance because of Thibs
    OKC - no chance bad roster matchup already has a ton of picks
    Charlotte - chance
    Cleveland - no chance roster matchup

Now ranking the chances from best to least:

Charlotte -13, 15
    Kings - 4
    Portland - 7
    Wizards - 10

Reasoning:

Charlotte - Best roster matchup. They could use Wood and/or Gordon. Is not a large jump from 17 to 13 or 15. Would love to unload Hayward. Plumlee a decent throw-in for Rockets.

Suggested trade: Hayward, 13, 15 for Wood, Tate, Gordon, 17

Kings - Trying to contend and they are stupid.

Suggested trade: #4, Harrison Barnes for Wood, KJM, Tate 17, 2023 FRP top 5 protected, Milwaukee pick unprotected

Portland - roster fit although I think we will be outbid. Portland wants to compete now.

Suggested trade: 7, Eric Bledsoe for Wood, Gordon, Tate, 17 Milwaukee pick top 5 protected

Washington - Salary dump. Still trying to keep Beal.

Suggested trade: 10, 2RP pick from Dallas, Porzingus for Wood, Gordon, 17

#1 Hemingway, May 29, 2022
    Last edited: May 29, 2022
    Kingshadaine, jcmoon, BigM and 5 others like this.
  2. kpdark

kpdark Member

The Charlotte and Wizards chances seem nice and quite possible.

Nook likes this.
  3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Charlotte is most likely, but your proposed trade doesn’t work salary-wise. I know you are using the trade up theory, but I think it looks more like Wood+Gordon for Hayward and 13.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Worked on Fanspo. Tried all the trade proposals there.

theDude likes this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sorry I had included Gordon as well. Going to edit my original post.

theDude likes this.
  6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the overall production from Wood and Gordon and the fact that we would be taking on Hayward for an additional year would preclude us from having to include #17. That would be my position is negotiations, anyway.

Mr.Scary, csnerd84 and ElPigto like this.
  7. PatBev

PatBev Member

You three way with Charlotte

Westbrook to Charlotte
    Wall to Lakers
    Wood & 17 to Charlotte

Rockets get 13 & 15

toss Lakers some compensation so they don’t cry too much

Salaries probably don’t match for Charlotte but I’m not a mathematician

peleincubus likes this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Not a bad bargaining position, but without the pick we may get outbid, especially for 13, where I think Eason and Williams might be available and a lot of teams would be in on.

saleem likes this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Portland insiders are 90% they will trade the #7 pick.

the Knick front office didn’t seem to care about Tibs thoughts when they traded for Reddish and they want to win, not draft a late lotto guy they have to spend time developing. The Knicks pick is definitely in play.

the Hornets are an obvious trade partner and have been rumored to like Wood (one of the few)

I still think New Orleans is a real trade target. Just look what they did at the deadline. They aren’t looking to develop young talent, they are looking to win now!

Washington is a prime trade target as well; lots of pressure for them not to waste Beal’s prime yrs.

lastly, yes the Kings could trade #4, but the Rockets don’t have the players the kings are looking for and they will be hugely outbid if the Kings move their pick.

there are plenty of options for Houston. Stone’s deal making skills will be put to the test.

10. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Why would Charlotte take Westbrook when they also have Melo who also needs the ball? Lol

Dacamel, Corrosion, Spooner and 2 others like this.
  11. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Sounds good, I just don’t think we have good enough players to move up past 13. EG is mid 30’s, Tate can’t shoot consistently and is undersized, Wood is a one year rental with attitude/effort concerns.

We also don’t want to put salary on the books past next offseason, so most likely move will be to 15.

12. dmoneybangbang

I think we'd have to throw in either Josh Christopher or Garuba to get into the top 10 or maybe even top 12.

As far as taking back salary Wood, Tate, and Garuba would be about $18 million. I agree we need to be somewhat selective on the contracts we take back, but we also have a lot of roster spots taken up. Trading up could help us in the draft and free up a couple of roster spots for development and the future.

13. dmoneybangbang

Knicks have Evan Fournier's contract (2 years @ $18 million per), Kemba's contract ( 1 year remaining @ $9 million), and plus a few smaller rookies deals to go along with the 11th pick.

There's a very good chance we won't be competitive next year, especially since it's the last season we keep our own pick, so would Fournier and #11 be such a bad result?

14. fattz

fattz Member

Portland is a player but it will cost. We have the capacity to make a trade but it may seem like an overwhelming price for the return of the Bledsoe & #7
    Wood, Porter & Tate (maybe even #17 or next year’s Milwaukee pick to close the deal).
    short term is in Portland’s favor for sure. If #7 becomes serviceable the trade is still in their favor to fair. If #7 becomes an all star, fair to our favor. We need to cleanse the roster for greater growth and development.

15. j@amc

j@amc Member

Yes, I think the Rockets should be able to keep rather than swap #17 if Charlotte were getting Gordon, Wood, and Tate. I'd be reluctant to give up all three AND the pick.

16. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

i agree, I just don’t think the guys we want to move get us higher than 15, maybe 13. Which is cool because 15 might get a guy like Eason.

I’m just thinking late lottery picks are overvalued so moving a guy like Wood might get you a pick in the mid 20’s or move up to 13 from 17 if lucky. EG maybe moves you up to 15?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't like that deal for Houston.

Corrosion likes this.
  18. saleem

OKC could easily grab Williams at 12. Wood , Tate and 17 for Oubre's expiring contract plus the 15th pick ( Eason) and small fillers might work.

19. saleem

What can we realistic offer to the Pelicans for their eight pick?

20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

They need guard. Don't think they will trade it for Gordon. Are you willing to trade KPJ?