1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reasonable? Gun Control Laws

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobrek, May 17, 2022.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think an 18 year ban already got struck down by the courts because 18 year olds serve in the military.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'd personally like a 30 day waiting period. Then again, when the brady bill created a 5 day waiting period, the 2A fanatics lost their mind. But we need some sort of waiting period so that people can't just quickly buy guns to commit crimes. I think almost every other country has a waiting period of some type.

DCkid likes this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

waiting period does nothing. When people want to kill they will find a way to do it. None of these mass shooters acted on a whim. They all bought and waiting til they choose to do it.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I've been reading and hearing about red flag laws, but they aren't a panacea either.
    https://www.indystar.com/story/news...-laws-contributed-deaths-injuries/6419907001/

If Red Flag laws are given more teeth, the tradeoffs will be gun rights and due process rights. How long can you keep a person's guns if they're acting violent and crazy, but didn't commit a crime? Can you prevent them from obtaining new guns? We're getting into pre-crime Tom Cruise Minority Report stuff here.

DCkid likes this.
  5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, was thinking about that. Not sure if I fully understand why that's unworkable if we're talking about purchasing for private use.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

There's a lot of confusion, inconsistency, and lack of organization. Welcome to American Federalism. Abortion, Guns, Self-Defense, Who Can Sue Who, Gambling, Weed...there are levels to it all and it all depends on where you live in America.
    https://www.latimes.com/california/...gun-sales-to-people-under-21-unconstitutional

DCkid likes this.
  7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Clearly, waiting periods by themselves don't solve gun violence. It's one of many reforms that would be required. In this particular scenario, a waiting period would have actually stopped this as school would have been out of session by the time the shooter could have obtained a gun.

Kim likes this.
  8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Let's start with:

1) Close the gun show loop hole.
    2) No magazines over 9 rounds. I'd let you rent a bigger one at a gun range but you can't buy it.
    3) 22, shotguns and deer rifle styles for 18 and up. Basically you can hunt.
    4) Hand guns and AR Style is a 25 and up.

I know that won't stop the violence but I do think it slows it down some and is a good starting discussion point. I wish we could do a better vetting process but I honestly don't think the govt is capable.

9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Ban handguns and automatic weapons. Seems reasonable to me.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Yes, that is a stupid argument. I wish people wouldn't make it on any issue. We wouldn't need police or prisons or any of the criminal justice system if making something illegal prevented it from happening 100% of the time.
    There is no gun show loophole. The law is the same at gun shows as it is everywhere else.
    Automatic weapons are nearly banned already. They require a special tax stamp under federal law, you cannot purchase one that was manufactured after a certain date, and they are outright banned in some states. Banning handguns would do something to fight crime, but would also create a far more vulnerable population. Estimated defensive gun uses are 500,000 to 3,000,000 annually.

Nook and ROXRAN like this.
  11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

So I have a 30 round semi auto handgun and a 17 round semi auto shoti. They are for home defense, business defense, and fun. I'm willing to adjust if that's the law of the land because I'm not bigger than the country as a whole. Just saying, my semi auto shoti counts for hunting, but can probably take out an entire building of anything. My shoti doesn't have removable magazines. So if your proposed laws pass, then I'm out of my guns. I'd give them up (for just compensation as per my guaranteed 5th Amendment rights), but I'm not sure others in my shoes would.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Seems like an easy fix there....19 year old military age? Of course the older people get the less inclined they are to do the stupid **** they ask you to do in the military.

True but Bump stocks give some guns a nearly fully auto fire rate, and you can modify most AR15s to go fully auto fairly easily.

DD

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Automatic weapons are already banned. Banning handguns? Won't happen in 50 years minimum.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

an analysis of over 300 U.S. buyback programs suggest a range of $50 to $450 per firearm . . . so good luck with just compensation.

https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w28763/w28763.pdf

I seem to remember that the Australian buyback averaged something on the order of $300-350 per firearm

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

A gun show seller doesn't have to do a background check on a gun buyer

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

in a handful of states. Most states require even private sellers to clear sales through a background check conducted on site

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

A private seller at a gun show has to follow the same rules as a private seller anywhere else. A dealer at a gun show has to follow the same rules as a dealer anywhere else. There is no gun show loophole. The law at a gun show is the same as the law at a gun store or at a Wal-Mart parking lot or at your house.

ROXRAN likes this.
  18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

This is just to stop the new sale.

I'm not dumb enough to say go take anything away from what was legal when you bought it. You're grandfathered in even it was somewhat of a fringe use purchase at the time.

But serious for hunting? I had to hunt with a plug in my shotgun so I couldn't shoot more than 3 shots. And realistically, if you can't hit the bird by the 3rd shot (and I have but man that was close) the 4th shot is just wasting ammo.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_s...w loophole is a,background check of the buyer.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Make private sellers get a background check.

DD