1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hijacked Paolo Banchero Analysis + Off-ball + Defensive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, May 22, 2022.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Why would you ask me whether I understand Percentiles or statistics when that wasn’t my question. My question was where the data came from. Also you revealed amateur meaning this data hasn’t been validated. This isn’t official numbers. This is why I questioned the numbers. Drop coverage portion of your comment has nothing to do with my question and should be directed to others who posted specifically about it.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You not being able to understand the math doesnt invalidate it. I tried helping you, if you'd rather stand there shaking a fist go ahead.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Again nothing to do with my question. Has nothing to do with understanding the math. The question was where the numbers came from and in my opinion seemed low. It has nothing to do with percentiles or understanding statistics. Stop adding things to what wasn’t asked. Stay on topic. And it speaks to your lack of understanding of how data and research works. One person putting together numbers isn’t an official record.

#103 Stephen_A, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The numbers came from the amount of plays in each category that were observed via film and/or data compilation what is so hard to understand about that? Do you have a better method? Why do YOU think they are low? When Paolo Banchero was used as a "cutter" the film showed 43 instances where 32 lead to a field goal. Thus the author came to his conclusion that he was "under utilized" due to the results of how "good" he was in those instances. Who said anything about an official record this came from Reddit as anecdotal reference?? Stop with the strawmen. Again you can thumb your nose at the math, but it wont change because you dont believe its accurate - it is still empirical. Its YOUR fault for not being able to follow a breadcrumb trail.

and yet another example: Is this one worthy or nah?

#104 Verbal Christ, May 25, 2022
    Deuce, Rudyc281 and fckbandwagons like this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Please stop with the condescending tone dude. Your screen name is condescending enough.

A. I never asked you for help.

B. I never asked what the definition of percentile is

C. I never said I didn’t understand the methods

D. You are taking one set of data that is unconfirmed as fact

E. My question was simply about the source of the information

F. My comment simply was the number of shot attempts for multiple categories listed seemed low to me for the 39 games he played in

G. Unlike you I never said anything was absolute. I simply questioned the accuracy of the numbers since there is bias and inaccuracies in data collection and research and the possibility exists here. And especially now that you revealed its from an amateur independently producing numbers without any validation.

I. I’m not a sheep like you i ask questions. But you are Christ tending to your flock.

I suppose you were hurt because I did not bow down to your pseudo knowledge or accept your help dear Christ? Not sure what triggered you or what insecurities you have but everything you said was unnecessary.

#105 Stephen_A, May 25, 2022
    cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. shinjirod

shinjirod Member

The numbers for Paolo defending smaller guys are encouraging, specially if we continue using a switch heavy scheme. We still need defense at the other spots, but better than I thought.

Advantage with Paolo on offense is having another ball handler and distributor, who can also easily get his shot. This helps KPJ a bit, allowing another guy to create at a high level, and should benefit Jalen if he isn't getting the ball in the same way Harden did, like this past season. Still think a true two way player would be ideal for the current state of the roster, but Paolo is definitely a nice player to have.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

THE SOURCE OF THE INFORMATION IS SYNERGY STATS YOU PONCE!

I dont give a rats ass how you feel about my screen name and how it impacts your tender sensibilities and whether or not you even understand the word and its application. I was trying to help your dumb ass but instead you want to remain standoffish and result to little bully insults. You dont understand that which you are trying to argue and yet here you are arguing with those who are trying to help you - go **** yourself you'll just be another idiot on ignore for me and all for what a stupid ass draft pick? All mad because you want to believe in fairy tales about walking on water and raising the dead? Its obvious you dont know a damn thing about Horus, Adonis, Mithras or Dionysus or the fact that zealots like YOU are one of the biggest problems this world has ever faced.

jiggyfly and fckbandwagons like this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Nah definitely not Christ like. Ego and pride. All started because I said I didn’t ask you for those “answers” you gave me. Lol

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

It's like 5 posters than spend all their time arguing. Where is the jigglyfly and Cmote?

cmoak1982 and Stephen_A like this.
  10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I believe these come from Synergy if I'm not mistaken. It's a pretty cool system because it creates a context for every stat generated so it's not just a 'did a shot go in' stat, but 'what was the context of that shot?' and since the data is generated from a camera system with many views of the court, you can really dive deep into shots where a defender was 10-12ft away vs shots where a defender was 12-15ft away or shots with more than one defender within x feet or was the shot assisted or created, etc. It really does allow you to create stats of those things we notice when watching a game but have a hard time statistically capturing using traditional box scores. Things like we all know Steph Curry is a good shooter but we feel like every wide open shot will probably go in and this gives you that exact stat.

Cool to see these percentile charts applied to the top 3 picks. I think my next question would be - how do these numbers correlate to on court NBA success because not all college stats necessarily translate well to NBA level play.

Verbal Christ and Stephen_A like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m good lol
    Just gotta call out Jiggylie

Stephen_A likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Official numbers?

LOL when presented with a very detailed and sound explanation you still try and refute it, just because you questioned the numbers does not make them wrong.

None of these numbers are "validated" there is no official validation board.

Do you really think they would put these numbers out and have the web call them out as fictional and lose all credibility?

Really my guy?

fckbandwagons likes this.
  13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Been in this board 20+ years and I feel like the GARM has become a microcosm of society at large. People just so damn angry even when he support the same team.

I came into this thread for people much smarter than me to explain how Paolo and Green pnr and KPJ catch and shoots were going to wreck the league.

I am so disappointed with all of you. If you want to call each other names go to the D&D please.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sports fans are never going to agree on who they think will help their team more.
    Specially when the top 3 prospects are similar level talents.
    It’s the nature of fanhood

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

A few things to nibble on:

-Sengun's passes to Green or Porter that resulted in a 3 point make 50% of the time.

-Overall, Kevin Porter is +7.8% from the field when Alperen sets him up for a shot (49.3% FG% from Sengun vs 41.5% FG% overall) and Jalen is +5.1% (47.7% FG% from Sengun vs. 42.6% overall)

On the season, Porter (6.9) and Green (5.2) led the team in number of possessions where they were the PnR ball handler. Porter (.82 ppp) and Green (.81) saw less than ideal scoring efficiencies in that set up. Unfortunately nba.com won't allow me to filter by date ranges, otherwise we would have meaningful data on how impactful a proper screener (Sengun/Bruno) would have impacted both guards.

16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Put it this way. Certain People attack and disrespect behind a keyboard in most situations where it is unwarranted and unnecessary. These people attack others thoughts or are condescending for no real reason other than ego and to prove a point. “Im right you’re wrong” mentality and stating their opinion as if it’s absolute truth. And there’s a few of them here on this site. It’s unfortunate really when at the end of the day it’s just another person’s opinion. No one’s opinions and thoughts are always absolute truth because there are always alternative ways of thinking. My opinions certainly isn’t always truth and that’s the approach I take. And its fine to differ in opinion but the condescending and snarky remarks, the speaking in absolutes, the negative put downs and outright rejection of someone’s thoughts are silly. And when you come at me with this bull shi+ attitude expect me to end what you started and reveal your bull shi+.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

To some extent, yeah.

But at this point there's really no need to determine who would help the team more. At the third pick we get the guy that is still on the board.

Even if we had the #1 pick there would still be no point since nobody here makes that decision anyway. It's fine to have a personal preference, of course.

But the way some folks do it on here, they'll end up entrenched in their preference long after we pick somebody else and then the rest of us have to endure garbage-level posting until our draft pick plays well enough to overcome the cognitive bias.

It's just such a stupid way for a fanbase to operate.

All three of these guys could help our team. They have different strengths and weaknesses. We are lucky to be getting one of them. We will get the guy that is on the board at pick 3 and then he will play basketball with our current players. We will watch those basketball games. I don't think there is much more to it than that.

18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

There’s a difference between disagreement and outright disrespect and p***y shi+ behind a keyboard. But that’s the nature of the times we live in. I get it. There’s a big mixed bag of young, old, education, upbringing so the communication may be affected and especially in an online forum where people safely hide behind keyboards. In an age of online shaming and canceling and me me me generation people think and feel they can say anything crazy and when they get called out they shrug all accountability. I ain’t saying im always right and sure I could ignore trolls or unreasonable and argumentative people on this site and not respond or get into it with someone. But my approach has always been I will be happy to discuss anything with you as long as long as you don’t just tear down my opinion. Make your point respectful, logical, and explain why you disagree instead of constantly tearing down.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Crazy shi+ is I just questioned the numbers on the OP and they tried to lynch me. I will say this though that there are some people on this site that think they know more than others in terms of basketball. Its often ego and feelings involved which explains the responses. Ego ego ego. Im just a normal dude and I surmise that most people on here are as well. I only played high school ball, street ball pickup games and games at the Y and intramurals with the church league and college. I read a lot on basketball and sports and I mainly try to speak on what I know. But Im not a professional coach or GM or player and most people on here aren’t either. I don’t claim to know everything and my opinions are not absolute truths. And neither are anyone’s opinions on here. So let’s put that garbage of absolute truth thinking and ego shi+ away and see other alternative thoughts and opinions and respect them.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd rather have Paulo or Smith over Chet. I really hope Orlando or OKC takes Chet