1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hijacked Paolo Banchero Analysis + Off-ball + Defensive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, May 22, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that some people just struggle to grasp the concept of a power forward these days.

You have some who seem to want to think of them as a wing and some who want to think of them as a center. They aren't either, they are something in between the two.

Draymond Green is often cited as a VERY good defensive PF....he's not a rim protector and in theory he's not someone you really want stuck out on the perimeter against a guard because he's not particularly quick. Funny how that doesn't seem to matter.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

We both know it was the same thing as Mobley having a high waist, people latching on to a negative to pump up the guy they want.

The crazy part is nobody has a higher waist than Holmgren, yet everybody loves him, at least be consistent people.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

You said Banchero didn't play drop coverage, you could see he had that responsibility in almost every Duke game when MW not on floor.

Banchero also played drop coverage in HS.

For a player you tout so much, you would think you'd know more about him.

Banchero is great in drop coverage fyi.

shinjirod, cmoak1982 and Stephen_A like this.
  6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Of course you would respond.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

When MW was not on the floor they had the other guy in Theo John he did not play it as a C which we were talking about.

I do know a lot about him and Duke, maybe he played C more at the beginning of the year but when I watched he did not play much C.

Can you post what you think proves I am wrong?

Maybe I am way off base.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you have not figured out why those numbers are not a small sample size?

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Foolish behavior. please be accountable for your words as dumb as they may be.

I simply asked questions as I would like more clarity on the information. I even said I did not follow him in College. The times I tuned in to watch him I saw a disengaged player on defense. I said I was curious about the data since the sample size is small considering he started in 39 games. And the times I watched him he was playing the 5 with no other big on the court.

You then wrote:

“The sample size is the entire season, how is that small?”

“The numbers came from watching actual video, you seem to not want to actually believe the numbers.”

Argumentative. I simply asked a question about the data since I didn’t know what the source was and what part of the season it covered and neither do you it seems. Your response was unnecessary. And you assumed it covered the whole season. And chastised me for asking the question. That’s your problem.

Then went on to make your second comment which again was an assumption and presumptuous. When did I say I don’t “believe the numbers”? I simply questioned whether it was a complete accounting of the season totals since I thought it was small for 39 games. And why did you even have to comment on “watching actual video”. Do you know this for a fact that the OP derived his data from watching every single Duke game this past season? This is what you literally said.

Then you accused me of saying Banchero plays drop coverage which I didn’t. I asked whether he played mainly drop coverage because I don’t know and if he did those numbers would be higher. So all this could’ve been avoided if you weren’t such an ass hole piece of trash argumentative and judgemental. Next time leave the judgement and assumptions out. If you don’t know something don’t assume. Or better yet don’t respond at all.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Need to watch full games, not just highlights.

Banchero is very effective in drop coverage.

cmoak1982 and Stephen_A like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Somebody gettin in their feelings.

My bad did not realize how sensitive you are.

12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Nah just holding dummies like you accountable. And by your response there is none on your end.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I did watch full games and not highlights.

I am still waiting on what you think was proven in that post.

I will admit that I was thinking of what a C does in drop coverage and not just going under screens which is what you seem to be talking about.

Anyway I really want to know what you think was so important in that post, I am always willing to learn.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How do you think you are holding me accountable?

Accountable for what?

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Exactly

16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Dummies usually think higher of themselves

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

btw you still haven’t explained where this data came from. And you still haven’t explained why you thought I said Banchero plays drop coverage. You are Arguing dumb shi+ just to argue. You probably don’t have many friends do you

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You just posted 3 different things to me and I am the one arguing?

Dam you are on one.

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Responding to your foolishness and inaccurate information. You started this and I’m finishing it. If you don’t know something don’t claim like you do. Admit you’re wrong and move it along.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The data was generated by an independent amatuer analyst who went through all of the possessions in each respective category with the help of Synergy Stats (I think) he even added numerations of the frequency of each type of play (# of possessions) and the result (32/43 FGs made when executed or defended by Banchero) he further pinned the percentiles for each category among his contemporaries (88th percentile). Do you understand how percentiles work in statistics? I also think several of you are confusing hedging and hedge and recover concepts with drop coverage. Paolo is not a great rim protector that much is known so saying he's a "great" drop coverage guy is tongue in cheek since a drop is usually pretty exaggerated and easy to spot (see image below) executed with "good" rim protectors (in theory).

Paolo much better in space actually switching onto ball handlers or hedging the ball until recovery can be made. Mark Williams patrolled the paint and would usually play some sort of deep drop himself and the rest of the players would funnel all handlers in his direction whenever possible. Having to do that in a pinch just shows how well Paolo sees the game and the communication necessary to make those concepts work to begin with.

Drop coverage:

[​IMG]