1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What to do about Christian Wood...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, May 17, 2022.

?

What to do about Christian Wood?

1. Keep Wood and rotate him with Sengun and the Top 3 Pick

23 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Trade him for a player upgrade at forward

23 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Trade him to move up in this draft

107 vote(s)
    51.4%
  4. Trade him for additional draft capital

49 vote(s)
    23.6%
  5. Other (Specify)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

The Hornets trade just makes too make sense. They need a center, and we need wing depth and to move up in the draft.

hakeem94 and steddinotayto like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

For the pupu platter of Kendrick Nunn & THT

saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

ill take it if they take silas off our hands as well...dont they need a new coach as well?
    and i am sure lebron would like to reunite with the coach who made him great in the first place...

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Adding Banchero could necessitate keeping Wood.

Need that spacing at the 5.

ilias likes this.
  5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Wood is a better player on a better team that has leadership. Remember, he wasn't brought in to be the best player,he was brought in to compliment Harden. Remember Bobby Portis in Chicago? In my Humble opinion, he can be traded, but he has value on this team and other teams. Player development is the key in my opinion.

6. Iknako

Iknako Member

We know Wood is a good scorer but defensive inability kill us. İf we have chance pick #17 good defender we must keep wood and Şengün- christopher duo bench team will open us playoff door.

7. larry cook

larry cook Member

Would a Wood, Eric, and Tate package be enticing enough for Portland at 7, the Wizards at 10, or New York at 11? I assume the top five teams are a lock for drafting this year as well as 6-9. Most mocks I've studied have Tari and Mark going between 12-16 to OKC, Charlotte, or Atlanta.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think we will get outbid by someone if any of them trade their pick. We saw last year that the market for them is very low.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A-****ing-men...

aaquaa likes this.
  10. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I think I like Wood more than most. I would like to keep him at the 3 (or basically positionless if we get Jabari or Paolo who can also play the 3 or 4). The thing is, he needs to accept, that he is neither a first nor a second option - and that he has to put effort in on defense. He is a great player, the problem with him is all attitude.

He is 6-10, last season he was a 18-10 player that shot 39% from three. with a steal and a block. Now let‘s just get the ball out of his hands a little more, don‘t use him as a shot creator, don’t let him initiate the offense, use him as a finisher, either at the 3pt line or as a slasher/put backs.

Now the problem is, I am not sure we have the coach to turn him into this player and I am not sure if he will ever sign of on that. In his mind he is a number 1 option. But if we can get him to commit, he could already be our 3d/4th star. With Green #1 and our pick this year being #2, that could be a great team.

comrade likes this.
  11. Chamillionaire

He's gotta go.
    Green and KPJ gotta eat.

12. VoR

VoR Member

See what he wants. It's not my money. We brought him here and Tilman seems to like him. In the right system, he's a great stretch big that needs some muscle around him. I bet GS would love to trade Wiseman for him straight up. I'd trade him for Saric from Phoenix too. The NBA is a game of many moving parts, but taking care of the FA you sign is key to getting FA to sign in the future.

13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Wood is in a contract year. If he actually tries to play defense he would be up for a big pay day.

D-rock likes this.
  14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Plain and simple

KEEP WOOD!

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

But it's not that simple. If Houston keeps its pick and selects one of the three bigs, I don't see why or how Wood is going to get enough playing time on this team to justify keeping him, either for the long haul or even to drive up his trade stock. You keep him in the starting lineup and that means you're sacrificing playing time and/or development of Sengun and/or 3rd pick. You put him on the bench and he's going to pout.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Keep him, elite scorers like him are hard to come by.....

Create a clear hierarchy so he knows where he belongs.

DD

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The stats as you point out are great and he should be the centerpiece of a trade for a disgruntled star along with other young players and some picks. But the market for him is basically nil and there is good reason for it.

1. Wood for Myles Turner
    2. Wood and 17 to move up in the draft
    3. Wood and Gordon for WB and 2027 LAL FRP (WB and Wall expire together and we have **** ton of cap space)

Those are the deals I would do.

peleincubus likes this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's his true value, and we're aware of it. Unfortunately we all hope that Portland will bite on him in a package for the 7th pick, even though it's unrealistic.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

There’s almost zero chance Wood changes his game in this environment. He’s the alpha dog by experience/numbers and he’s got the ego of a better player. We also don’t have the coach to put him in his place. He has very useful skills but it’s not going to come together on this team. He could potentially be very good on a team that has an established hierarchy and the veterans to keep everyone in line. With that in mind there is value to another team even if he represents negative value to the Rockets. No idea what that gets us but it’s plausible that paired with the 17th pick we can move up enough for someone like Eason.

D-rock likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Quoted again. I wish the guy the best. I DO NOT want this player on the team any longer though. He is not a good influence.