1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Biden's America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SuraGotMadHops, May 12, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you know it's bad when the Washington Post is running stories like this

Surviving inflation one plasma donation at a time
    A Louisiana teacher is among millions of Americans forced to make hard choices because of rising prices

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/05/19/louisiana-teacher-plasma-inflation/

excerpt:

SLIDELL, La. — Tuesdays she asked for the needle in her left arm, and one afternoon in late April, Christina Seal, 41, arrived at the clinic after work. The parking lot was almost full, as usual.

She had been giving plasma for nearly six months, and she had a routine locked in place. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Two Sam’s Club protein shakes and an iron supplement a day to keep herself serviceable. Afterward, vitamin E oil on her skin to prevent needle scars. The routine had helped tame into normalcy what at first had felt so bizarre. “I never thought I would be in a position where I would have to sell my plasma to feed my children,” she would say later.

This was where inflation had driven Seal. A month earlier, the Bureau of Labor Statistics had announced that prices had risen 8.5 percent over the past year, the largest annual jump since December 1981. Fuel, foodand housing costs are higher than they have been in years. The financial strain has forced millions of households to collide against new limits and harder choices. Inflation has bent a million routines into new shapes.

For Seal, it has meant that her 18-year teaching career alone can no longer provide for her two children, ages 15 and 12. It has meant feeding them peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and explaining that she cannot afford the gas to drive both her son to boxing lessons and her daughter to volleyball. It has meant realizing there are few options for help.

“I’ve applied for every government program that I can think of,” she said. “I don’t qualify for food stamps, I don’t qualify for any programs. For middle-class people like me, there are no programs.”

Then, last fall, she found a possible solution. By donating plasma — the liquid element in human blood containing vital antibodies and proteins — twice a week each week, Seal could earn between $400 to $500 per month.

That Tuesday at the plasma clinic, the waiting room was also nearly full.

“$20 Fuel Bonus after every 4th Donation. Your wallet will love you and your car will ‘tank’ you,” read a poster on the wall.

“When you refer a friend you earn a $50 Buddy Bonus!” another said.

more at the link

2. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don't need to search for data to know that the rise in sensationalistic anger propaganda correlates.

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

6. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Seeing Biden's latest response on Taiwan (only for WH to walk it back) is worrying - what the world needs now is clarity. If the intent is to defend Taiwan, go all out, arm them to the teeth now, defense is easier than offense, deterrence is cheaper than fighting a hot war. If there's no intent then keep quiet, don't provoke and hope for the best...

adoo likes this.
  7. adoo

adoo Member

in particular, Wall Street needs clarity towards lessening the market volatility

8. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

sigh my poor port. taiwan has bigger implications for america than ukraine. think of all the current semiconductor issues we already have and america's industry champions that rely on taiwan for semis. even the big defense primes are reporting semi shortages.

Satellite images ‘suggest China is practising missile strikes on targets in Taiwan and Guam’
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/mil...ages-suggest-china-practising-missile-strikes

TheJuice and Andre0087 like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

10. SuraGotMadHops

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bleak day for the market and I’m sure not happy.

It’s likely going to get worse before it gets better.

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Three-quarters in new survey say US headed in the wrong direction

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...-survey-say-us-headed-in-the-wrong-direction/

excerpt:

Roughly three-fourths of Americans are saying in a new poll released on Wednesday that things in the United States are going in the wrong direction, a sentiment that is supported by majorities in both parties.

A new Politico-Morning Consult poll found that 74 percent of respondents believe that things in the U.S. have gotten off on the wrong track compared to 26 percent who say things are headed in the right direction in the country.
    more at the link

14. SuraGotMadHops

Build Back Better.....lol

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

BBB was never passed.

fchowd0311 and Andre0087 like this.
  16. SuraGotMadHops

It was also his campaign slogan. So both his legislation and his concept failed.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The concept can't fail if it didn't pass. The concept wasn't implemented.

I'm sure the folks in Odessa want better infrastructure.

18. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

There's no way DeSantis or Trump don't win in 2024. Biden was the band-aid and a choice no one wanted except as a unifier of people who didn't like Trump (DNC establishment, young people, rogue Republicans).

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I don’t even think we have a President..Biden is shaking hands at thin air, looking bewildered and confused so often, not knowing where to walk. He is reading teleprompters and can barely manage that .. he’s in obvious cognitive decline.

We have gas crisis, inflation crisis, border crisis, infant formula crisis, rising crime crisis and even a tampon crisis…someone needs to lead ! Please