1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building around Paolo and liking it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 21, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bankero sounds cooler to me.

Viva l'italia!

HP3 and hakeem94 like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Both Chet and Jabari will look very different in NBA where it's more wide open offensively and requires tons of switching on defense.

Their games are actually more suited to NBA than college.

And Chet's upside as a pro is the highest of the 3 imo.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

KPJ and Eason should be +36% from 3P.

And Green is trending that way too.

It's not offense that worries me with this potential core, its defense.

Nook, xaos and Aruba77 like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Augmon is added to coaching staff, there will be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth methinks.

Stone is in no hurry to move Wood, especially if Banchero is the pick at #3 + Silas is retained.

Spacing and 3ball shooting is still critical for Silas system to be successful.

Spacing and 3ball accuracy is modern NBA offense.

And defense unlikely to be fixed overnight.

Unless Bzdelik is hired.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nook likes this.
  6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

D-rock likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Some people mistakenly believe that ability to switch 1-5 = lockdown defense 1-5.

Chet has the length + fluidity + IQ to switch and defend either in post or on perimeter without being a liabilty.

And even when Chet beat on perimeter he has the length and instincts to recover. Same when he gets knocked off his spot in the paint, his length + physicality + dog mentality allows him to recover and still block/alter shots at rim.

The sample size IS small but every frosh sample size is just as limited.

It is how he maximized the minutes he had that is so underrated imo.

hakeem94, Nook, ico4498 and 2 others like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tari Eason and Myles Turner.

hakeem94, xaos and Phillyrocket like this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Instead of scouring the earth for 2 large, long 5 position guarding 3 & D players, basically all star caliber players on a budget - you just get rid of or sit Sengun if Banchero is substantially better (or vice versa, but that would likely mean Banchero is an epic bust)

10. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

That’s a reasonable take. I watched a decent bit of Gonzaga and really don’t remember him seeming exposed when he switched. His post D was strange in that he’d get knocked off his spot all the time but his combination of effort, instincts, and length were able to still make it hell to score on him in the post.

I do like Holly but agree he has misses (though he was way ahead of any other analyst on Barnes last year). I don’t live and die by his rankings but that was a pretty specific complaint. However Holly’s premise was that Chet has great stats in switches but it might be kind of flukey because guys just missed some bunnies when he went back and watched tape. But maybe he’s not giving Chet enough credit for recovering and forcing someone who got by him into a rushed or more difficult attempt.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I’ve been banging that Wood for Turner drum makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Wouldn’t mind trading Wood and 17 to move up for Eason and then let Wall and Gordon expire and have those two max FA spots for 2023 either.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Check out Igoudala's Warrior stats compared to Tate's and get back to me with an update on this baloney opinion.

You make Tate the 5th option on offense and a perimeter defender he'll be a clutchfans darling again. Y'all are tripping entirely too ****ing hard on a 31% 3 point shooter who shoots like 2 or 3 a game. It's really not that bad of a % if he made 35% it's like 24 points spread out over 82 games.

Put him in a position to succeed instead of a position to cover up Christian Wood's lack of fortitude and pride. We didn't lose 62 games (aka a championship lol) because Tate is the 5th option we lost 62 games because Christian Wood as a first option is nowhere in the vicinity of Steph Curry.

Rashmon, jdjd, Ekiu and 2 others like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like Mark Williams too as fallback to a 5 like Turner.

MW will be better perimeter defender than Turner if he can ratchet it up just a bit in intensity.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

GET ME TARI EASON!

15. SamFisher

Tate thinks he's the 1st or 2nd option and opposing teams are more than happy to humor him

hakeem94, rockets1995 and BigM like this.
  16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

lol my god he takes like 5 shots a game. Y'all are ridiculous.

And if he WERE taking 20 shots a game like y'all pretend, he'd need a better coach to put him in better positions to succeed.

Stephen_A likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Guys would have to miss a lot of bunnies to make a big difference… and part of Chet’s appeal is his recovery and length make guys miss shots that they wouldn’t otherwise.

There were numerous times where I saw Chet get bumped out of position and guys missed what appeared to be open shots because of Chet’s presence, length and motor.

What I can say is anyone that goes up against Chet and has a good game has earned it because he doesn’t give up and is relentless.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If you haven't watched this, do it now:

Deuce, Nook, Verbal Christ and 2 others like this.
  19. SamFisher

He had a usage rate of 19.6.

Eric Gordon, who is an actual real scorer, had 18.6.

Kenyon Martin Jr. had 16.3. Garrison Matthews had 14.4. This is where Tate should be, and why Martin was a better fit last season and going forward.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wood plus JC and the 17th for the 7th to acquire Keegan Murray would have been my choice if Murray was a true SF in the mold of a pre- injury Paul George.

The Rockets should only pick at 3. The 17th only makes sense to stash Dieng. It should be moved for a first round pick in the 2023 draft.
    I do like Terry. He's more like a 25th pick player.
    @D-rock