1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem Olajuwon's reaction after Ralph Sampson eliminated Lakers in 1986 WCF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 23, 2022.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This is Game 5, 1986 Western Conference Finals against Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy and the Lakers. Hakeem and Mitch Kupchak had gotten into a fight in the fourth quarter of Game 5 and both were ejected -- a trade-off the Lakers would make a billion times out of a billion.

This is Olajuwon's reaction busting out of the locker room after Ralph Sampson hit the shot to advance the Rockets to the NBA Finals against Boston.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LIke is not a big enough button for this post.

DD

RKREBORN, Deckard, Caesar and 8 others like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Harden (who I LIKE) would have already been at the strip club by then.

juanm34, Caesar, Dobbizzle and 3 others like this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20 yrs old in Dan Patrick's with my best bud..bedlam...as pure as it gets. And, then...on to Fizz...

burlesk likes this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

I was screaming even louder than that. Pounded my coffee table so hard I broke it.

groovemachine, burlesk and xaos like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Never got to see this before, thanks

burlesk, saleem and red5rocket like this.
  8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Man I miss dream. Played his best when it mattered most

burlesk, saleem and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Ralph is what many here wish Chet could be...Ralph was a true unicorn.
    [​IMG]

10. xaos

xaos Member

Sweet, how it is

11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Wow! I've never seen Ralph so never seen this before.

BigMaloe, burlesk and saleem like this.
  12. SuraGotMadHops

This is effing awesome

burlesk likes this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Neither have I.

BigMaloe and burlesk like this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

An interesting comparison! Ralph's physique was a bit more "solid," though, in my opinion. He was 7'4" and weighed in at 228. Chet is 7' and maybe even a bit taller, but only 195. Sampson may have added a few pounds by the time this series was played. He was at the end of his 3rd season. Look at his legs here, for example, and then look at Chet's.

Ralph was amazing. He was Rookie of the Year and an All Star, of course, and then was MVP of the All Star Game in his 2nd year, and as I recall, the players didn't just "dial it in" that year. If only he hadn't been injured, or if he'd had the medical care available today. Personally, I think the latter would have made a big difference.

Sampson is the classic, "if only!"

Easy, groovemachine, saleem and 5 others like this.
  15. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Already battling GOAT Lakers/Celtics teams only just a few years into their professional careers, damn I wish Sampson had been healthy and the supporting cast didn't get busted with drugs.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So true. That Lakers team Sampson's incredible shot eliminated in the WC Finals were the defending champions and heavily favored. The Rockets were declared the "future dynasty" of the NBA by the national sports media, like Sports Illustrated, for example, back when the sports magazines were a huge deal. That they beat the Lakers and went on to play the Celtics was a shocker and definitely ahead of Houston's expected time frame for greatness.

Then drugs, coke in particular, blew it all up. John Lucas was first in the middle of the '85-'86 season , although his problem was also alcohol, and then Mitch Wiggins and Lew Llyod were tossed permanently by the league for coke. Still, if Sampson had stayed healthy, the Rockets could have continued to build around them. Instead, Olajuwon was left to carry a much weakened Rockets team for years, food for early exits in the playoffs. It was a real bummer to watch and extremely frustrating for all involved, including Dream.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I have a slight recollection of that game. Okay, a wee more than slight. Thanks for sharing!

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is one of those double-edged swords. This play is an example of what irritated fans and coaches. Pass to the guard to bring it up? Nah, screw the point guard (former Rocket legend, Lionel Hollins), imma take it myself! Half the time it would end up in some errant pass or turnover. lol. But Ralph was like Chet++ in many ways.

xaos likes this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Andrew Wiggins' dad seems high as a kite in that video! *wink* He rarely showed any emotion.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There was a time Sampson was considered the better player than Hakeem, and that's not slight to Hakeem.

groovemachine likes this.