1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Psaki Says "Gender Affirming Care" for Kids Is 'Best Practice'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Apr 8, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So triggered lol

tinman likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

https://www.transadvocate.com/fact-...ition-makes-trans-people-suicidal_n_15483.htm
    Is this the author of the study you are referring to? That person is claiming that they are frustrated by people like you.

3. fchowd0311

I'm proud to be triggered.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yeet yeet

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

https://news.yahoo.com/questioned-why-children-were-being-135549946.html

[​IMG]
    ‘I questioned why children were being encouraged to transition – and it cost me my dream career’

James Esses turned 30 this week and has been doing a lot of reflecting. Last year, he was ejected from his psychotherapist training course – three years in – for openly discussing his fears that young children expressing discomfort in their bodies were being actively encouraged to transition; weeks later, Childline removed him from his volunteer role as a counsellor on the same grounds. After racking up more than 1,000 hours at the charity over the course of five years, attending one night a week after his work as a criminal barrister, he had been alarmed by such calls becoming more frequent; the callers younger. Of his subsequent battle against both institutions, he says “the pain and hurt is as raw as ever”.

Until he joined Childline in 2016, he’d never much engaged with the notion of gender dysphoria – feeling trapped in the wrong body. But the rise in those calls “set something off in my mind”, he remembers. Esses began reading books and academic papers on the subject, wanting to better understand how to help. “Once I began reading, I began to get extremely concerned with the medical pathways that we were putting very, very young children on,” he says. The children on the other end of the line “were so young that they weren’t even able to really verbalise to me what exactly it meant to be a man or a woman” – yet they told Esses they wanted to take puberty blockers and hormones, wear breast binders and have sex reassignment surgery.

Concerned, Esses raised the issue internally, perturbed too by the influence of Stonewall – the charity brought in by many organisations in the name of equality – whose posters in counselling rooms suggested “an ideological message around gender”, and Childline’s website, where he describes the page on gender identity as a “roadmap towards medical transitioning”. It also features a video from individuals who have transitioned, who are “basically selling it to young people… [with] no mention of de-transitioners and the significant risks and potential permanent scars that might come from those who regret [it]”.

He spoke with senior management, yet nothing changed. As his online advocacy around safeguarding continued, he was told not to refer to the charity or his role there. In July, Esses received a call dismissing him with immediate effect. “I was distraught,” he reflects, at “the most important thing in my life” – which had inspired his decision to leave law and train as a psychotherapist – going “up in smoke almost overnight”. The NSPCC, Childline’s parent company, says: “We respect people’s rights to hold different views, but volunteers can’t give the impression Childline endorses their personal campaigns… We discussed the situation at length with the volunteer, tried hard to find a solution, but unfortunately we couldn’t find a compromise.”

Esses has written an open letter to Childline; his “cathartic attempt at closure”. He has only been able to formulate such thoughts now, he says, because he has spent much of the past year embroiled in legal proceedings against his former educator, the University of Metanoia. Preliminary hearings are due to begin in June; he is currently crowdfunding £120,000 for his legal fees and has just passed the £95,000 mark.

Four weeks before his expulsion via email, he had petitioned the Government to “safeguard evidence-based therapy for children struggling with gender dysphoria”, which received more than 10,000 signatures. Esses had also set up Thoughtful Therapists, a collective of clinicians who are “deeply concerned” about the current stranglehold on public discourse. These were seemingly reason enough for his instant dismissal, though he says: “I was never provided with the grounds or evidence for expulsion. I was never provided with justification for why I received the same sanction as someone who had committed a physical or sexual assault on campus.” He says he was also denied the chance to put forth his side or to appeal the decision. When asked for comment, the university said “it is not possible to make any comment about an ongoing case”.

All of this has “irretrievably and grievously damaged” his professional standing in a career that he “wanted to spend the rest of my life doing”. And the “low points” roll on, Esses says. On top of the legal battles and personal agony at a career gone haywire is the significant social media abuse he receives for his belief that sex is immutable – he cannot risk his partner or family being publicly linked to him for fear they will be subjected to the same. He is currently working in the public sector but won’t give specifics about his role, as “I’ve already had some issues” there following “being targeted by activists from the other side”.

[​IMG]
    James Esses - Rii Schroer

tinman likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Still, he has “no regrets whatsoever, because although this has come as a personal cost to me, the stakes are simply far too high”. If anything, going public has only fortified his stance: he has been inundated with messages from anguished parents who, in one case, had found correspondence from Mermaids, the transgender charity, promising to send breast binders to their child behind their back. (Mermaids did not respond to requests for comment.) De-transitioners, who have taken puberty-blocking medication and been left infertile, or “permanently disfigured and scarred,” have also been in touch to show their support.

It seems mind-boggling that someone could be ejected from much-needed counselling work and therapy training for questioning how best to help vulnerable children; that Esses now spends his days fielding messages from peers who share his views, yet are too frightened to speak out. But the “‘trans’ topic is the issue of our time”, Esses now realises, one where an “affirmation mindset” has taken hold and any deviation results in career combustion like his own.

Part of the problem is in schools, where he has heard many cases where “children at a very young age are being taught that sex was assigned at birth, which is factually inaccurate”. Social media – in which people can find confirmation bias in corners of the internet – also plays a part. As, he thinks, does the language used by organisations such as Mermaids who tell children that “family isn’t blood” – “very, very alienating [and] isolating” phrasing designed to “drive young people further and further away” from loved ones who might challenge their point of view. If children are left to develop unencumbered, Esses says, “given time, given exploratory therapy, most of them settle into themselves and settle into their bodies”.

For adults who have exhausted all the options, namely exploratory therapy to get to the root cause of their discomfort, he believes gender reassignment surgery can be a reasonable last resort. But the general push for transitioning is regressive, he thinks: the product of a society that can only compute stereotypes, rather than nuanced understanding of the fact not every man or woman conforms to gender expectations, or needs to. It remains unclear to him why surgery has become a widely accepted solution to a mental disorder: “You wouldn’t treat anorexia with liposuction, so why are we treating gender dysphoria with medical transition?”

The Queen’s Speech came as a relief to Esses and his peers; legislation banning conversion therapy will not extend to gender identity, which would have “risked criminalising beneficial explorative therapy for vulnerable children with gender dysphoria and pushing children further down a one-way path towards medicalisation”.

He is hopeful that this is a positive sign of the direction of travel and that, by the time he starts a family, the issue will have become less fraught. “If things would stay as they are now, I would be fearful for my children,” he admits. That, like the rest of his future, still hangs in the balance.

An NSPCC spokesperson said: “Childline counsellors support children to explore their feelings in a non-directive way. They offer advice on how to cope with anxiety, how to discuss issues with trusted adults in their lives and signpost to available external support. We stand by our approach.

“Volunteers are the heart and soul of Childline and we value every second of support they offer children. But nothing is more important than the trust children have in the service.

“We respect people's rights to hold different views, but volunteers can’t give the impression Childline endorses their personal campaigns. It’s vital that children know that Childline is a welcoming place for all young people.

“We believe this is a reasonable expectation. We discussed the situation at length with the volunteer, tried hard to find a solution, but unfortunately we couldn’t find a compromise. The conclusion we came to and the reasons for it were relayed to him via a telephone call and a letter. We took the concerns he raised about the Childline service seriously and fully investigated them but this had nothing to do with the discussions about his volunteering.”

tinman likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is like South Park turned real

9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

10. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Whole thing:

Os Trigonum likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

You probably already know the answer I'll give. So let me ask you what do you think an explanation for this could be that isn't your narrative?

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Did you watch the video?

14. fchowd0311

No

15. RocktheCasbah

RocktheCasbah Member

I did. He doesn't really answer. It's more comedic jokes followed by a close up of a guest making a face in response to something Maher says. Maher smirks, and continues on without really addressing any solutions to the topic he's tackling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard hitting stuff right there.

Seems like there's been a history of transgender people since human civilization emerged and began documenting. There also appears to be a pattern of sexual and cultural behavior among our closest related primates who have members in their community that biologically are one sex but express behavior more in the mold of the opposite sex in their own community while also exhibiting physical traits more in the mold of the opposite sex as well. While biologists can't ask a Bonobo what they identify as, they can observe behavior of say a female with more physically masculine traits and behavior that prefers and is welcomed by members of the same community that are the opposite sex. It's at least one biologist's interpretation that based on behavior and physical traits the biologically sex female bonobo could loosely be an example of a trans bonobo. And that this is not an uncommon phenomena among one observed bonobo that could be interpreted as trans but is fairly common across other mammals Frans de Waal has observed as well. What is unique among humans compared to our closest animal relatives is discrimination based on physical differences like skin color, hair/fur, and sexual behavior.

As far as the uptick in regional areas where trans people identify at an increased rate, it's likely because there's a greater acceptance and ability to live your preferred lifestyle in regions that won't discriminate you for it. And again Maher doesn't answer anything. He just leads you with questions for you to draw your own conclusions in a way he constructed with his written and edited dialogue by own writing staff. To each their own though. There's an uptick in regions of the United States where people identify at a greater rate as trans? Why is that? Hmm. It's like the old race baiting question of why does x minority do this when other races do y? I'm just asking questions ya'll! What's the problem with that?

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I appreciate that you did watch it (although it seemed to have triggered you a bit). His main point is LEAVE THE KIDS ALONE - they go through phases - they don't know for sure yet what they want - certainly they are too young to give them hard-hitting chemicals like puberty blockers or even let them go through sex change surgery or whatever. He didn't only ask questions. There is a 70 year old transgender doctor who says "it has gone too far" (that was also quoted in the video). That doctor is right.

17. RocktheCasbah

RocktheCasbah Member

Trans people get made fun of for their physical appearances especially after going through puberty. You don't exactly lose your broad shoulders if you're a dude after going through puberty or other features that people would typically associate as masculine or feminine features. This leads to issues like gender dysphoria which can affect a trans person for their whole life, which you're claiming to be concerned over. The purpose of going on hormone therapy before puberty is so a trans person is more likely to develop the physical features they'd prefer over the physical features they'd develop post-puberty without any help. Also, what are the statistics of people who regret transitioning?

A quick google search says about 1%. So you're advocating for the denial of healthcare treatment for the other 99% who are content with their transition why exactly? Because you care about the well being of trans people? I don't buy it.

[​IMG]

Media's 'detransition' narrative is fueling misconceptions, trans advocates say

[​IMG]

#658 RocktheCasbah, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Leave the children alone with your indoctrination and abuse.

Your 1% (if true) refer to people who made that decision as adults. That's different.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  19. RocktheCasbah

RocktheCasbah Member

But it wouldn't it be abusive to deny someone healthcare treatment in a timely manner so they can avoid appearing as someone they don't identify as and will carry the physical features of for their whole life even though it could have been avoided? And don't trans people also typically go through cosmetic surgery? So wouldn't it be more expensive forcing someone to go through puberty and cover the cosmetic surgery to change their appearance which may not be as good if they simply had hormone therapy before puberty sets in? Why are you good with forcing trans people to have to pay more for cosmetic surgeries that may not yield the results a trans person wants. Who would want to pay more for their own cosmetic surgery which wouldn't even yield the desired results you're aiming for?

Poor example, but that's like you and your wife deciding she wants to get a boob job except some outside governing body develops policies for puritanical reasons to deny her as such until she's had years to think about whether she really wants fake t*** or not and even after still committing to the surgery, she doesn't even get the desired cup size and appearance she wants and still has to pay more for it anyways. And she can only have the surgery once an outside governing body determines it appropriate. Not yours or her call. That's right to you?

I mean my understanding is there's multiple psychological evaluations for people who consider transitioning and medical advice from a broad spectrum of doctors before any major commitment to any treatment is administered. So there already are outside forces in the medical industry who interpret as a team whether a person can and should transition. Would it not be better to trust their judgment with their patients and the patient themself over Bill Maher? Wouldn't that fit more the libertarian mold of individual rights and all that?

#660 RocktheCasbah, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022