1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 17, 2022.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You'll see in the pros when the teams take away his drive to the right
    that he becomes a mid range shooter.....Carlos Boozer.

You just really don't understand how good Boozer was! You don't appreciate.

I will point it out later when Banchero is a pro. Remind you of my comp.

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...one other wrinkle to consider - I think one of the reasons this draft is so all over the place is because most of the younger players in this draft missed a year or two of professional development when Covid hit so rather than playing AAU ball and working with trainers on their skills, they missed that. Same thing happened to Jalen Green when the G league season got condensed into a month of basketball in a bubble against limited competition where his college peers mostly played full seasons because college ball is big $$$. That's why Jalen started the year looking so raw and grew so fast. I think there is a non-zero change that many of the players in this year's draft didn't get a lot of work in on the weakest parts of their games during the start of the pandemic...probably quite a bit of untapped potential out there if you are willing to recognize that these 19yr olds are not the same as normal 19yr olds in pre-pandemic drafts.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Paolo does take a lot of mid range already, and hes good at it. That doesn't mean he's Boozer. Kd isn't Boozer. Cp3 isn't Boozer just cuz they take mid range shots.

The guard like ball handling, the passing and shooting off the dribble. He is a wing. If you can't see it then I don't know what to say. The Boozer and Sengun comps are ridiculous, they don't move anything alike. It's like comparing KD to KG because they are both 6'11 and skinny.

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Here is Boozer as a McDonald's All American leading a fast break throwing a behind
    the back pass. Adding weight changes players. Have you seen Andre Drummond videos
    when he came out of highschool? That was not the same Drummond we saw in the pros.

TimDuncanDonaut and D-rock like this.
  5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Honest question to you and other Rocket fans - as much as I LOVE Sengun, is it possible that Banchero might be a better version of Sengun in terms of legit scoring/passing/playmaking bigs with big defensive question marks? Is Banchero really a fit problem if he makes Senung expendable and a potentially valuable trade asset?

...assuming Wood is basically a goner at this point for a number of reasons.

Nook likes this.
  6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

For those so-called experts who say Banchero is a better athlete than Sengun--well, yeah, that's right. But the real question is can he flex like Sengun?

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I love Sengun just as much as the next guy - truly a joy to watch...but let's be real that he needs A LOT of work to be playable defensively as a starter, let alone as a key piece on a playoff contender. I feel like you draft Banchero and take the better of the two players and trade the other after an extended look at both.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Here @CXbby where was this guy in the pros?

Oh, it was vs inferior competition! Oh!

Looking at this video what's your comp for Drummond? James Worthy?
    Julius Erving?

#1488 ApacheWarrior, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Nook and D-rock like this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Right. So if you watch this video of Boozer, and watch the video I just posted of pb moving, and see the same player, then I dunno what to say. Except that I got some prescription glass to sell you.

red5rocket, Denovo and Ekiu like this.
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Watch the ig reel I just posted from pb, he does not move anything like sengun. His bread and butter is taking shots off the dribble. Sengun takes exactly 0 shots like that. Pb handles the ball like a guard. Sengun moves and handles like a center, and a slow one at that. I'm not sure where the comp came from but it is asinine.

11. MystikArkitect

Some of the more lethal lineups in the past playoffs have not featured particularly strong rim protectors, and the best rim protectors are all at home currently. Not sure rim protection is particularly as important in the modern NBA as it was say 10-20 years ago.

That being said, Banchero is at worst the 2nd or 3rd most talented player in this draft. I'm fairly certain that he will take precedence over Sengun if that's the way to cookie will crumble. I've wondered (as has many on here I'm sure) where Al-P fits into the future of the team. I'm guessing your belief is that Jabari Smith fits more on what the Rockets want to do moving forward? Even if Smith did come here though, we wouldn't have sound rim protection there either.

red5rocket and Nook like this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If green likes him as a player, I don't think Paolo would b too much of a risk to draft.

At worst he would just b Jalen Green's friend number 2 until he pops off once in a while and just b plain paolo

13. Nook

Nook Member

Paolo isn’t Carlos Boozer, he is a better player…. But Paolo is a power forward. He defensively can’t consistently cover 3’s and he isn’t a good enough shooter on offense to be a 3…. He is a power forward that can put the ball on the floor at an elite level for a power forward and score and he is a very good play maker for a power forward.

FWIW Carlos Boozer does have a son that is a very good prospect.

Rashmon likes this.
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

When I see Paolo I see a guy that could potentially become Jokic if he develops a consistent 3-pt shot. I’m not sure why others see Blake Griffen. Blake couldn’t handle and pass the way Paolo can at 19. Paolo has a way better stroke too.

Rashmon likes this.
  15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I mean the instances of a offensive-minded PF/C leading a team to a title are slim. There is Dirk, but he had elite shooting that Banchero has not showed.

Other than him, the only offensive-minded big who won a title as the 2nd star recently was Pau Gasol. He needed Kobe and a defensive C in Bynum to win a title. Even Rasheed who was probably an average defender needed a DPOY in Ben Wallace to win a title.

But I think NBA has evolved way beyond that era of the game.

I guess if the Rockets think he could be close to Pau, it guess makes sense to draft him. But that basically means they have to trade Sengun, and I just don't know how much value he actually has in the league. He seems to be a complete afterthought.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

They are different players but similar sized and both prefer playing close to rim on offense.

But in different ways.

Sengun is not a jump shooter like Banchero. Sengun is a finisher.

And Sengun is the better passer in the paint while Banchero is better creator and passer from perimeter or in transition.

There is no comparison with their handles, Banchero handles like a guard.

But Sengun is the better defender, he has more disruptive hands, more effort/commitment to rotate and is much better rim protector even though both have exact same wingspan/height and even though Banchero has more vertical pop.

cmoak1982 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Defensively can he cover 3s better or worse than Luka or Harden? Or today's lebron

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Oh jeez if sengun is considered the better defender, how awful is banchero at D? like is drafting him gonna improve our poor defense?

19. Nook

Nook Member

Rim protection is very important, but it needs to come from players that can also switch and not just stand under the basket.

Robert Williams is an exceptional rim protector for Boston and Bam Adebayo is also very good and both switch very well. So the two teams left in the East have rim protectors.

In the West the Mavericks and Warriors are #1 and #2 in defensive rating. The Warriors have the best defensive player of his generation that can literally guard all 5 spots and even spending so much time outside he provides rim protection.

Rim protection isn’t just blocking shots.

Yes, from a defensive stand point Jabari Smith fits better for the Rockets. He can defend 3’s and 4’s and switches better and he also is a better at altering shots. He is also just a better team defender.

As for Sengun, he doesn’t take precedence over Banchero is he is who we take at #3, but he accentuates the issues we would have getting players to play next to Banchero.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Blake was a very good passer in college.

The Blake comp is not an insult in the least.

That said, Banchero does not play like the young high flying super physical Blake Griffin.

The comp is closer to more grounded Pistons Blake Griffin.

#1500 D-rock, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022