1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Ubiquitin likes this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

Don't think anyone forced Elon to read it though....hundreds or thousands tag him everyday on sht...
    Why did this get to him...lol

Ziggy likes this.
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Anyone can block anyone else, that’s part of freedom. The fact that the guy thinks it’s infringing on his free speech is deranged.

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

True. Thanks Elon for clarifying.

Ziggy, saitou, Invisible Fan and 2 others like this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

You're shorting RIVN? I keep wondering when the rug is going to happen, so I made a quick return on RIVN on run up, but have been hoping to get in on the reverse. How far do you think this fall is going? It surprised me earlier with all the negative news how long it's lasted vs the real market.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

I’m not saying short it today, but yes I have been recommending shorting rivn here before it even ipoed. They bit off more than they can chew. Think about this, their operating expense, over $2b per quarter, is roughly the same level as Tesla. Tesla is going to do close to $100b in sales this year. Rivn is going to do close to $0 in sales. Car business is extremely hard to survive in, every start up has gone bankrupt in the last 70 years, because the cost to entry are so high and demand for new entrants are so unpredictable. This is why you need to start small, start in a niche market, then slowly scale up. Starting small means making small mistakes. Instead, rivn is attempting to ramp two factories, two mass market product lines - which is what’s leading to the astronomic operating costs. They jumped both feet into the deep end, and as startups inevitably make mistakes, they are doomed to make disastrous ones instead of small ones that you can recover from. Now that lock up has expired Ford is even starting to sell their stake even though it is -90% from highs, real vote of confidence.

But again, the stock is down so much already, I’m not saying shorting it now is some great opportunity, but chances are they will not survive as currently constructed. Either acquired by another oem or bankruptcy.

Invisible Fan and CCity Zero like this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, I think you're absolutely right, like ford's major sell off and the recall etc on top of everything else you mentioned is a disaster waiting to happen
    I guess I meant it's been interesting watching it still get propped up after being down (reminds me of NKLA), I know it's on the radar of some pumpers now so I am still expecting a pullback. Like I made a quick 20% (nothing exciting on gains) but I think at some point the pumpers who have kept it going are going to pull back and it's going to drop back to sub $20 with new traders holding bags.

CXbby likes this.
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

@CCity Zero I am not sure if COST has more to drop...WMT+TGT earnings already did a number on COST..
    Perhaps calls are in order? lol

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, this is so crazy atm, I'm thinking there will be a small rally, I haven't bought any calls yet but it's probably worth a lotto play. I have been watching SPY calls and am hoping for a small play there, I'm expecting green atm, but not making some crazy position yet.

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. Major

Major Member

Umm, what?

Tesla's operating expenses in Q4 of 2021 were $15B. For the last year, it was over $50B. The last time they had operating expenses of $2B in a quarter was 2016.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/TSLA/tesla/operating-expenses

Sajan likes this.
  12. Sajan

Sajan Member

Pretty sure he is not reading the 10-Q. It's pretty obvious operating cost for last quarter was 15 billion.
    I am not defending RIVN, just saying he is way off base with his numbers.

• Tesla operating expenses for the quarter ending March 31, 2022 were $15.153B, a 54.7% increase year-over-year.
    • Tesla operating expenses for the twelve months ending March 31, 2022 were $52.658B, a 56.56% increase year-over-year.
    https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000095017022006034/tsla-20220331.htm

@CXbby
    You have to add:
    Total cost of revenues 13.296 + Total operating expenses 1.857 = 15.153 billion.

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

wut did the reddit post say?

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trending Bear markets with our current down market.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Liquidity is getting sucked out the system. Gold (and commodities) down during inflationary times, while dollar indexes up.

16. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

[​IMG]
    Has this thing bottomed?

Anyway, bought a bit. Good last qtr (60% rev growth) and guidance, price to sales 2x.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

December 2021:
    let's try this again in May 2022.

-50% in a few months from ATH should be enough to call a free fall right...

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I kept hoping it'd be a smallish easy/green from other markets performance for a quick in/out but... not so much, lol

Costco/Netflix, wow... I looked away for a bit from work meetings and this is wild.

Did anyone make any exciting plays? I didn't go in on SPY once it got crazy at open, especially since I literally would have to watch it full time this morning and couldn't

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

@Sajan maybe next week Costco? Haha, there has to be a flip at some point, right?

Sajan likes this.
  20. Sajan

Sajan Member

Going in. Prepared for max pain lol

CCity Zero likes this.