1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The myth that James Harden isn't or hasn't been clutch in his career ends right now?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HardenVolumeOne, Mar 30, 2022.

1. RocketsDraftTV

no hardens peak is the 19-20 season. heled the entire nba in vorp, win shares per 48, and box plus minus

he was also great in the playoffs.. harden's peak is a top 4 or 5 guard in league history. He literally broke the game and forced multiple rule changes

harden left us cold, but i wont let you blantantly lie on the dude

#221 RocketsDraftTV, May 13, 2022
    Last edited: May 13, 2022
  2. Damion Laverne

Harden took too many tools out of his toolbag

chadyang and daywalker02 like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

If he broke the game why didnt he reach the Finals? You are talking about top 4 or 5 guard in history right? Didnt even reach the Finals?

19-20 season isnt that the year the Rox lost by 20 pts first 3 games and Morey fired Melo? So you telling me the top 4 or 5 guard in league history cant prevent his team from getting shat on by over 20 pts his first 3 games?

4. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I thought you were gonna quit this forum for good if Sixers didn't reach the finals?

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How many reincarnations does he get.....

Salvy likes this.
  7. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Who?

8. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

MagnetFanboy222

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Morey's biggest mistake -- he's on a record about that colossal f*ck up.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah bro his biggest mistake is passing Kawhi for baby Melo Morris...then compounding that mistake by trading Morris for a garbage 2nd rounder. He then further enlarged that mistake by signing Ryan Anderson to 18M a year, wiping out our capspace. His 2nd biggest mistake was passing on Dragic and letting him go in FA.

We could've used both Morris and Drsgic when we got Harden. Add Capela and whoever we got in FA that isnt Ryan Scrubberson Rox would prob have multiple rings by now.

#230 roslolian, May 14, 2022
    Last edited: May 14, 2022
    JayGoogle and chadyang like this.
  11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Come on - stop being dumb. It's like you are arguing for the sake of arguing - you can hate Harden, but you can't take away the fact that for a few years he was actually one of the top 5 players in the league - defense or not. Obviously Giannis is a better player the last few years than Harden is - my point is there was DEFINITELY times in the past where Harden was the better player. Giannis had a lot of promise early in his career but was so limited offensively he really had no other way to contribute offensively if he wasn't dunking the ball. To his credit he added to his offensive game to become a more versatile scorer but even today he doesn't create offensive opportunities for his teammates in the same way Harden was able to.

Meanwhile Harden was an MVP level player while Giannis was growing into the monster he would become. I think you severely underestimate just how dominant Harden was offensively - he would put up 30 a game, dish out assists for another 25-30 points with extremely limited offensive players who couldn't get their own shot(certainly no one of the Kris Middleton caliber) and grab another 9-10 rebounds night after night. He was the poster boy for an entire generational shift in playing style to 3s and layups and the league changed rules on at least two different occasions to adjust to Harden's style of play. He ACTUALLY changed how the game is played AND reffed because he was so effective offensively. Just because he lost over and over again to one of the greatest teams ever in the NBA, isn't an indictment of his effectiveness. He just ran into the Warriors buzzsaw right when he was peaking just like all the players in the East who didn't get to play for a title during Lebron's peak years. **** happens man - don't be the dumb hot take guy on TV who says players are trash just because they didn't get a ring when you could say that about every 90s player outside of Hakeem and Clyde during Jordan's prime.

HP3 likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok so what about when he lost to the Spurs without Kawhi is that GSW's fault as well? When about when unknown rookie Lou Dort made him his b****, is that GSW's fault as well? It's not like Harden only faced prime GSW in his playoff career, he's had lots of other non GSW opponents and he hasn't really impressed. What about when he lost the Lakers team that got swept the very next round? Still GSW's fault? Diff between Hakeem and Harden is when Bulls weren't OP Hakeem won 2 rings. Harden got bounced even when GSW wasn't strong.

I agree Harden was an MVP caliber player IN THE REGULAR SEASON. Too bad I don't give a **** in the regular season if he can't replicate that in the playoffs. All that stats you quote, that's in the regular season bro. Look at Steve Nash's regular season stats, MDA's specialty is blowing up regular season stats for his PGs that's why Nash has 2MVPs but nobody even talks about him when discussing all time greats.

And btw I don't hate Harden, I said he is top 5-10 in his peak. He just ain't top 3 and never been top 3, even when he won MVP he wasn't top 3 since he got his ass handed to him in the playoffs yet again that year. He hasn't proved he is better than Lebron, KD, Kawhi and Steph, even in his peak. At least those guys proved they can co exist and thrive with other superstars, Harden has feuded with every superstar he has played with Dwight, Cp3, WB, KD, Irving and now even Embiid threw him under the bus (he ain't Houston Harden anymore). At some point you gotta stop pointing fingers and realize you are the common denominator among all the feuds.

#232 roslolian, May 17, 2022
    Last edited: May 17, 2022
    verysimplejason and swakid8 like this.
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ummm didn’t Houston win that series against OKC? I’m not defending Harden - could care less about the guy but the point I was making was responding to the comment that Harden at no point in his career has been better than Giannis at any point in his career and even you agreed with it….so why are you so Agro about stomping on Harden? I never said Harden was a playoff god - he clearly has limits to his game like greats of the past who never won titles but the dude isn’t trash because he didn’t win a title. He just didn’t have another gear when he needed another gear and didn’t get lucky with the breaks - in a different era that might not have mattered and he may have a ring today but against teams like the Warriors, that mattered a lot. Don’t forget that Giannis was a Kevin Durant toe length away from being sent home the year he won a title. Literally if Durant’s toe was an inch shorter. Giannis would not have a title right now and what would his legacy be today? You are Bro-ing out on him and literally something as minuscule as KD’s shoe size causing his 3 to be counted as a two is the difference between him meeting your definition of a winner vs your definition of a loser.

HP3 likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh? How many times has Harden lost in the playoffs? Did KD's shoe size decide the game every single time he went to the playoffs? If Harden went to the playoffs exactly 1 time maybe you'd have an argument. There's always an excuse every season but there's a pattern you have seen with Harden's career its always limited to the regular season.

Houston won that series against OKC but thats mostly due to non-Harden players contribution and Cp3 himself choking...both Cp3 and Harden had a choking contest and Cp3 proved himself to be the worse choker. Just check Harden's stats and see if you think he made a positive impact that series. I never said Harden is trash is top 5 trash? Lol you keep making all these strawman arguments left and right.

I never said Giannis was better than Harden 100% of the time Harden is older than Giannis so when Giannis arrived as a rookie obv Harden was better than him. But if you compared them year by year then yeah Giannis was better than Harden he reached his peak earlier and is also gonna maintain it longer since he doesnt spend every night on hooker strips and every offseason partying with DaBaby. Compare Harden at his peak vs Giannis at his peak I take Giannis 100% of the time. Its better to run and dunk than dribble dribble dribble.

I dont hate Harden but I dont love him either esp now he is not on the Rockets. The dude is a bad teammate,feuded with every single star teammate he has and backstabbed his tesm 2x in a row. Right now he is pouting to get Rivers fired snd MDA hired. Instead of working on his game as someone who acted like he wanted that chip he spent too much time partying snd on strip clubs. I mean he aint exactly a model NBA player add the fact that he has played like trash for 2 seasons now I'm not exactly having him as my idol.

#234 roslolian, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
    verysimplejason likes this.
  15. Salvy

Salvy Member

Asian Sensation and Os Trigonum like this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Salvy likes this.
  17. Salvy

Salvy Member

If Severo did it would become the original version and the others would be the cover's, just like he did with Feliz Navidad....

[​IMG]

Squirtle and Os Trigonum like this.
  18. PhiSlammaJamma

This went from Right Here. Right now.,,, to... Jump.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe he would have produced more if he wasnt partying all night and actually given us a ring. Its kinda impossible excessive partying doesnt take its toll on athlete's performance.

20. SunsRocketsfan

Didnt read all the posts about stupid advance stats. Advance stats are not the be all of basketball. If it was; Morey would have won several championships by now. It's clear Harden is a loser and he gives up when things dont go his way. It's clear no one likes playing with Harden as well. Harden has played with some of key all stars all in their prime and all of them ended up wanting to part ways with him. From Dwight Howard to Chris Paul to Russel Westbrook to Durant to Irving to Joel Embid to Jeremy Lin (jk on this one).