1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 17, 2022.

1. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

I think we go Ivey, dynamic player high upside high floor. Floor is near all-star level caliber player. We did it last year with Jalen, I think we go again with talent and raw ability with Ivey

2. Spooner

Spooner Member

I believe they could have a similar impact as a point forward. Banchero could eventually playmake similar to how Tatum makes plays for the Celtics. Both chip in a little everywhere. Rebounds, points, assists. Neither is just a one dimensional scorer and I believe their ball handling/playmaking at the forward spot is a similarity. Again, Tatum shot basically the same percentage from 3 at Duke that Paolo shot this year at Duke. The original question was, who in this draft could be Tatum, Butler or Brown and I see most similarity in the top 3 between Paolo and Tatum. Obviously in a vacuum they have a lot of differences. Tatum seems at this juncture to almost be overrated as a defender and I truly believe Paolo to be underrated at least in terms of what he's physically capable of. I'm not thrilled about a front court of Sengun and Paolo because of the defensive concern but if he's there at 3 and that's a big if, we need to take him. I'm just not into this idea of trading back or drafting Keegan Murray ahead of Paolo. I also think of the 3 prospects, Paolo's game will translate the best given his skill set. At the very least watching Paolo throw lobs to Green and vice versa in the open floor will be fun.

jiggyfly, TriumVirate, BigM and 2 others like this.
  3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

While it sucks that we didn't land the number 1 pick, you can't be too unhappy about picking third. We all have our favorite and time will tell who was right but we're getting either Paolo, Chet or Jabari - for free. They all have their pluses and minuses. Will Paolo ever get a defensive motor running? Will Chet's body take the NBA grind? Will Jabari ever find a handle?

But in the end, you can't lose by taking any one of those 3 and putting them in a Rockets uniform. We need talented size and any one of those 3 will be a big improvement.

Oh and trade Wood... I don't think it's going to move us up from 3 but I think it can move us up some from 17 to get another mid round steal.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Giannis was 196 lbs when drafted.

robbie380 and PWR like this.
  5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I think if OKC or Orlando takes a player out of the ordinary, we should consider trading down to the Kangz because you just know Kings will screw up their pick somehow.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I want no part of Chet on OKC. That is ****ing gross. Either Orlando drafts him or trades that pick to us.

I’m liking Banchero more and more though.

Nook, BonziWellsGOAT and clos4life like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not true.

8. mightybosstone

That's literally what every GM is going to say in the post-lottery press conference. And while I don't disagree with the notion that talent trumps fit at the moment, no GM is dense enough to completely rule out the long-term needs of the roster he's trying to develop into a contender. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the players you're adding to go "Oh man. We need defense and shooters."

And, again, if Paolo is there, I'm fully on board for drafting him, as I think he's easily the best guy on the board, and you have to go with talent first. But for those on board team "let's trade back!," my point was just that it doesn't make sense to trade back to 4-5 in that Ivey or Sharpe range. If you're trading back because Banchero isn't what you're looking, it makes more sense to be for a player that fits what the Rockets don't have currently have on the roster, not for another score-first guard.

clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like Leonard Miller, just not paired with Paolo Banchero.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed.

But we are talking about Stone here.

Preferred signing Theis to re-signing Olynyk.

Preferred re-signing Nwaba over Sterling Brown.

Preferred Dipo + Bucks FRP (#24) to Jarrett Allen + Taurean Prince (later traded for Rubio) + Caris Levert (later traded for FRP).

Offered Dipo a max contract extension.

Nook, DeBeards, Bo6 and 3 others like this.
  11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Yuck.

Nook, BMoney, clos4life and 1 other person like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Like Sochan a lot too but if Banchero pick at #3 then need wing/forward that shoot +36% 3P.

That's not Sochan.

Sochan works best with Chet or Jabari, both who shoot 39% or better from 3P .

DeBeards and Bo6 like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only projection about Chet is his weight.

That's it.

But agree with everything else.

Banchero is 7 or 7.5 on 1-10 athleticism scale. Not an exaggerated take.

Nook, DeBeards and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sengun actually had higher scoring upside before he was drafted.

And Sengun is the more creative passer & ball doesn't stick with him.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Who called Chet Durant 1.0???

The 1.0 thing, in relation to Lebron, was all you.

And Chet is not KD so that nonsense should stop too.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. Landry's Tooth

That's fine but most people have the top 3 interchangeable so then fit becomes the primary issue.

clutchdabear and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Giannis was also 6-8.5" when he was drafted, was drafted about 7 months younger than Chet, and did not have the benefit of an NCAA training and nutrition program. It's a lot easier to add weight easily when you grow 2.5" in your rookie year.

I like Chet, but I don't really think Giannis is an appropriate comparison. He's going to be one of a kind if successful in terms of managing his weight. I see it as the inverse Zion Williamson issue; I absolutely think Chet can be successful; but his body and what he does on the court is so unique, that it's really hard to project how he will develop, if he can hold up, and if changing his body for durability impacts his game too much.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Spooner

Spooner Member

That’s fine but the Rockets are picking 3rd and they better take one of those interchangeable top 3. There will be one of those guys left at 3 regardless of fit.

19. Landry's Tooth

I'm not seeing what you're seeing on Tatum. He led the league in defensive win shares and his db+/- of .6 is on par a Derrick White, SGA, or Scottie Barnes.

His steal% and block % are both above average.

He's no Thybulle, but he's better than an Ariza while providing elite shooting most years.

20. Landry's Tooth

I'm ok passing for future draft capital and young players if the package is right and they aren't 100% on board with who is left.

Not saying the offer is there, but there's a price for everything...

clutchdabear and snowconeman22 like this.