1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree. Not sold on Mullins. Good exercise in team building for the long run. I don’t really see any need to trade away our pitching depth for more hitting. At some point, we will have positions to fill, but we are pretty set for now and have a couple of guys in the pipe I would like to see before the year is out. We are going to win the World Series this year and still be positioned for long runs the next 2 years at least.

2. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Who are you guys parting ways with if you had to choose (Jake/Chaz/Siri)?

Cause we don't have alot of prospects to offer for trades especially with more teams making the playoffs (expanded) = more buyers at the deadline.

3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Before we trade Staring pitching, we have to be prepared to lose JV. I want him here for life, but he may have other ideas. McCullers is a wild card. He might return strong or he might not. Now we do not have Starting pitching depth.

If JV is not opposed, try to get him committed to at least next year before we trade. I don't think we'll know McCullers situation until after the deadline. But then we can deal SP for needs which might arise.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Right now I would say Chaz, but need to see if Myers comes back strong. I’m higher on Siri than most. I see a real high upside on him if he can develop a better eye at the plate and quit taking called strikes. I think Soto is the next superstar so I’d be willing to give up a lot for him, but doubt we really have prospects and minor league depth to do it. To me Pena, Tucker, Alvarez, and Leon and maybe Garcia are untouchable.

Clutch City1993 likes this.
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It depends on whether the trade is for an outfielder. Siri/McCormick if not an outfielder, Meyers if a centerfielder. corner OF is a question mark.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'd like to see Leon and Lee up while they are still eligible for the playoffs. But not too soon. Of course need could change that.

I would probably be willing to trade the fort if we lost 12 of our last 13. So there's that.

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Getting a right handed corner OF that hits LH pitching really well would be a potential big upgrade in providing Uncle Mike a platoon partner. If you look at his OPS over the last 4 years it’s like 850, 800, 770, 720 and his numbers against lefties get worse. He’s probably a fringe all star bat against RHP and a problem against lefties. If you could find him a platoon partner that just dominated LHP you could turn LF into an all star caliber spot. And, you would have versatility on Kate game to bring Brantley or said platoon partner off the bench in PH type situations, which would be nice versatility for the playoffs.
    That’s nitpicking though. If you aren’t going to mess with catcher and Yuli and Meyers are good and LMJ is healthy and Peña doesn’t get eaten up by good pitching after the book gets out and this roster stays healthy it’s about a perfect roster.
    That’s a lot of ifs but they are first world problems and likely to be answered in the Astros favor.
    I’d love Nelson Cruz as a platoon partner for Uncle Mike.

Nook likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chas and Meyers hit LHPs very well.

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Not a bad THIS YEAR move. They should give us minor leaguers just to take his salary and 2023 mutual option. SALARY DUMP.

10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Good news.. there is a guy that hits lefties pretty well and you don't have to even trade for him.

vs lefties in his MLB career:
    107 ABs, 6 HRs, 7 doubles, .486 SLG, .819 OPS

His name would be Chas McCormick, but for some reason Dusty seems to give Siri the ABs against lefties even though his OPS is more than 100 points lower than McCormick's.

Marshall Bryant and King1 like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Chas is very good, and Siri's 2-21 against LHP this year.

Seems like a pretty easy platoon-ish situation.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Love the idea of a platoon partner for Brantley, but it might be already on the roster with Dobin who at least so far is hitting over 400 against lefties. McCormick is also a decent option. I’d be cool with a trade for a platoon, but wouldn’t want to give up much. I’m pretty cool with standing pat this year, if there are no significant injuries. At least, keep our powder dry until the trade deadline.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  13. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Leon has been strong. He might be here by mid summer if he keeps it up. Lee most likely end of the year as a #3 catcher since our catchers can't hit anyway and it would be a good learning experience for him to get under the old pros for a bit with the staff.

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m fine with Chaz as a platoon partner for Brantley. He needs one. When I was talking about killing LHP I meant a little better numbers and a little longer track record, but that’s fine.
    Cruz by comparison in his most recent 4 years has a sample size over 240 games with an OPS of 1013 against LHP. I would assume that he, on a 1 year deal for the garbage Nationals making 15 million could be had for a bag of shag balls if we wanted to do something like that. meh hasn’t been great against lefties this year. He’s old so he could be washed (didn’t look it this weekend) or at 48 PA it could just be SSS noise.
    but yeah, I’m pro playing Chaz where he can be helpful. I’d just trust Cruz (probably) more to put up a quality AB against a good lefty in the post season

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Don’t think they start his clock. Unless there is an injury, I don’t expect him up until September.

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I am not interested in Cruz unless Yordan gets hurt. Anything that causes Yordan to play more LF doesn't interest me. Especially in a ballpark like the Angels have with a massive LF.

I haven't done a deep dive on potential trade targets because in my opinion it is too early. However, just looking at potential rentals for corner outfield.... the market looks very weak with Benintendi, Mancini, and Haniger as the best potential rentals. So I see why you brought up Cruz as a possibility. If we were going that way... go get JD Martinez.

The strengths of this team are pitching and defense. I don't want to sacrifice them too much.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. Landry's Tooth

JJ Matijevic
    Joe Perez
    Tyler Ivey
    Jose Siri
    Chas McCormick

For Bryan Reynolds, Marisnick

Leaves us Pedro Leon and Meyers to develop behind Brantley.

Not the greatest offer but Reynolds isn't having a great year and doesn't fit age wise for their rebuild. They are awful at 1B and RF.

I would move Odorizzi at the deadline for a 1B prospect and a low level 2B prospect... just to hedge on Yuli/Altuve age issues in 1-3 years...

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

JD Martinez is fine. Anyone who plays a passable LF and mashed against LHP would be ideal. But, you can DH Alvarez. Or, if you really don’t like the ballpark for Yordan out there he just becomes a super potent PH during that series where you are trying to protect Yordan and keep him out of left. but, and I have no idea on the metrics or if they are established enough to be informative if they are, are we sure Yordan is a worse LF than uncle mike?

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No difference in service time between all star break and September is there? I mean either way you are talking post Super 2.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Does Brian Reynolds only try in odd numbered years? Wow.