1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquire utilityman Mauricio Dubón from Giants

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, May 14, 2022.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

2. msn

msn Member

Goodrum shopper's remorse serious?

The Beard and raining threes like this.
  3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m suddenly very nervous about Peña’s injury.

4. HTown2017Champs

I think this is it. I would have liked to see Hensley get some MLB time, but I guess they're either very high on Dubon and/or want someone who is already experienced. He can also play CF, and from what I've heard he's a better CF and 2B than SS. Could also be another option for CF once Altuve and Pena are healthy again.

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I am not panicking, but Altuve, Pena and Diaz have all been ailing a bit and Goodrum is just not good enough. The move is reasonable for Dubon's versatility and club control.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

The roster moves that have to be made to make room for Dubon will be telling. The Astros will need to make a 26 and a 40 man roster move.

To me the 26 man roster move is likely to be 1 of 3 moves. Either they send Siri down, send Goodrum down, or they put Diaz on the 10 day IL. Dubon has played more CF than he has played infield. Maybe Click wants McCormick in the lineup full time and Dusty keeps putting in Siri. However, Click said the Astros wanted Dubon in the offseason. Maybe he was their priority and Goodrum was the backup plan after they couldn't get a deal done for Dubon. Then regarding Diaz he has been banged up. So if they truly think Pena and Altuve won't need an IL sting but they can't rely on Diaz to play everday they just put him on the 10 day IL.

For the 40 man roster move it could be as simple as moving Jake Meyers to the 60 day IL. He would be available to come back in early June so that doesn't seem far fetched. Or they could cut someone like Josh James, Seth Martinez, etc...

raining threes and PiPdAdY33 like this.
  7. HTown2017Champs

If the Astros cut someone from the 40 man my guess would be James. He has been struggling while his velocity is down. Moving Jake to the 60 day list only kicks the can down the road. When he comes back they will need to DFA somebody but it does buy them more time to consider.

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

DFA Goodrum and be done with it.

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

raining threes likes this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

They sent Seth back to Sugar Land so a move to the travel squad rather than the active roster? I don't know how soon they have to decide.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Seth Martinez was a 27th man that MLB gives you for a game when you have a double header. Doesn't change the fact that someone will have to me moved off the 26 man and 40 man for Dubon.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Pre Arbitration so 3 years to play the utility role.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I think they kick the can down the road. with Meyers to the 60 day. I don't think he'll be ready before then anyway. 60 days from the start of the season is what, June 6th?

14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

LAA looks like a potential problem this season, and it’s not too early for Click to act. We have no clear solution at CF or Utility. I like Meyers but who knows what we might get. Dubon addresses a clear need at Utility and who knows, maybe he plays a competent enough CF to take a meaningful number of ABs. If the division is decided by two or three games, moves around the edges matter that much more.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly this should spell the end for Goodrum, he's 30 and his OPS is about where his OBP should be. Dubon should be a solid enough upgrade at a very low cost.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Goodrum replacement, sounds good

17. Buck Turgidson

Minor quibble, he's played more IF than OF, significantly more if you include the minors

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=dubon-000mau

18. RocketsDraftTV

goodrum stays

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member