1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The nba should get rid of free throws (this is what doing what things)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, May 14, 2022.

1. what

what Member

Yes, it is time to get rid of them. And yes while I am referencing the grizzlies series in this post, it is clearly a league-wide issue.
    But in game 6, from the second quarter on the refs controlled that game with timely momentum breakers to keep the game close and not allow the grizzlies to pad the lead.
    In game 4 the refs sent Curry to the line on a flop.
    In game 2 they suspended Dillion Brooks for one game and ejected him, but allow Draymond to club everyone he wants to, allows Poole to knock balls out of players hands and the entire golden state team to badger the officials with no calls.

All of it egregious, but that is not why the league has to get rid of foul shots.
    The grizzlies weren’t going to win that series because too often the series is decided by what happens off the court rather than what happens on it: and how much clout you seem to have.
    That is perhaps one reason that, for no good reason, why the grizzlies had to start their second round game with the warriors just two days after their first round series with the twolves, why Jordan Poole got a pass, why the Mavericks was hosed in the finals, why Draymond got suspended in the finals and so many other things.

And the team owners and players seem to put up with this foolishness at the alter of the almighty dollar: And for the good of the game and tv partners, shoe makers, who require, demand, a return on their investment, the likes of which - only steph curry can provide.

The main reason why the nba should do away with free throws is because of the power that a well-timed foul can do to the complexion of a game. More often than not to stop a run.
    Let’s get down to it: a loose ball foul SHOULD NEVER be awarded with foul shots like Curry got in game four ever. In all instances it should only result in a loss of possession. Which is just one example of how stupid foul rules are these days.

In fact, while we are at it: no player should ever be ejected from a game, either because what I am proposing is this: that flagrant fouls should be treated like hockey and a player that is guilty of one must sit in a penalty box for a specific duration of minutes as determine by the severity of the foul.
    If a player commits, say 6 foul, the 6th would be an automatic flagrant and follow those rules but would still be allowed to play afterwards only that any fouls afterwards would result in a penalty box stint.

The rest of this proposal revolves around the idea that any fouls after the 5th team foul, but excluding loose ball fouls, obviously, which are always a side out, would result in an automatic two points, regardless of who is fouled.

Also first in the last two minutes applies. Basically the same way we play only we do not stop for fouls.

All shooting fouls are two points.

I also feel that an opposing team should be able to challenge a “flop” and if it is determined that the player did flop (which should be done at Secaucus) the player is required to go into the penalty box for a set amount of time. 2 minutes.

So while this proposal isn’t perfect, it does I think get to a more fair game, and eliminates the momentum killers. It also prevents the hack a shaq and I think this is a step in the direction to having more of a balanced game overall.

what I’m saying is that team Ford have to play four on five or even three on five depending on what’s going on that file should not determine the outcome of the game but to be a deterrent to doing stupid things on the court file should never determine the outcome of the game in my view.

#1 what, May 14, 2022
    Last edited: May 14, 2022
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

and opposing players should be allowed to kick donkey in his knees with no repercussions

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

interesting proposal... but i cant see how fixing of games is prevented by all this... if anything this creates more room for manipulation...

however enabling flagrant 2s to continue to play afterwards would make game more fair by enabling others to retaliate draymond but game would then transform into martial arts and would favor stronger players who would go for the jugular trying to injure other teams best players and eliminate them from the game...

4. what

what Member

The point of this is to normalize foul shooting and take the well-timed officials foul out of the game.
    Let’s be honest stopping the game for steph foul shoots are meant to do everything but award him. It is a tool by the refs.
    The games are being controlled too much by free throw stoppages.
    Just give the play 2 points and move on.
    It does not take the ref completely out of the game.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. what

what Member

What do you mean: being put in a penalty box and forcing your team to play 5 on 4 is a huge benefit.

And now that I think of it even if a person gets six fouls he should not have to go to the penalty box the only time they would go to the penalty boxes if they commit flagrant fouls.
    And a player should never be suspended in a series for anything at all.
    He should only be fined and/or go to the penalty box. There is too much seem to be favoritism going on with who gets suspensions and who don’t.
    I mean when you think about it given a player a suspension in a series a key player is like given the other team to win that should never happen.
    And if you wanna regulate it further you can choose that certain types of plays like standing under a player results in a flagrant foul and they get sent to the penalty box but there should never be a suspension of a player for an entire game unless there can be consistency in it, which the league has proven biased over the years.
    Let players adjust to the way that plays are made. If a player knows that somebody can stand under them then they’ll figure out how to keep themselves safe.

Jontro likes this.
  6. juanm34

juanm34 Member

7. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

upload_2022-5-14_11-44-30.gif

Slyonebluejay, juanm34 and Jontro like this.
  8. DreamR

DreamR Member

You should have proposed this when we still had Harden

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Asian Sensation

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

This absolutely will not balance the game. Big men who are historically bad at FTs are now going to turn into foul baiters / floppers to get a free 2 points. Either that or no one will foul big men in the paint for fear of giving them a free 2 points.

Hell, everyone is going to turn into foul baiters / floppers if it means a free 2 points. And if everyone and their grandma starts to drive into the paint just to foul bait, refs might be more hesitant to call fouls when they actually happen. This leads to more complaining, more ambiguity and more injuries, since everyone is banging around in the paint.

Why even learn how to shoot jumpshots when you can just barrel in and hope for a foul call and a free 2 points?

Your idea is not a good one.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Who's on what?

sirjesse likes this.
  12. what

what Member

I suppose you did not read when I said that floppers could be sent to a penalty box for two minutes if the other team challenges the call and it becomes a flop.

Also I did not say that this would balance the game I said that it would solve a particular part of the game that I feel has too much power which is the run stopping official who is trying to stop the momentum of the team that they don’t want to win.

And yes I do think that this would make the big man have a larger role in the game which apparently you feel that the big man’s place is right where it should be that’s fine I don’t.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Well, how many challenges are you going to get? And if you keep challenging, isn't that a "momentum killer" as well?

The 'automatic points' thing is too much of a hurdle. Defenders are going to be way too hesitant on defense in the post, for fear of fouling. Contact within the paint is the hardest to officiate, so you're giving refs an extra boost too, even though that's what you're trying to prevent.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Never go full what.

hakeem94, juanm34 and sirjesse like this.
  15. what

what Member

Auto points come after 5 team fouls or if fouled within the act of shooting.
    You also might’ve forgot that I said that no loose ball foul should ever be part of auto points, it should always be side out, even after 5 team fouls.
    I also think that no players should ever foul out of a game. So they have unlimited fouls to give.
    When the refs start going crazy and giving out fouls to everybody and forcing teams to have to put in whole different lineups that’s a problem because you don’t have the best players on the court when you want them to be.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The only thing that would make sense is to get rid of the penalty free throw shooting (no team fouls limit). That would get rid of hack-a-player tactic. That would also get rid of intentional fouling to stop the clock near the end of the game, which almost always just prolongs the inevitable losing when the opponent has a large enough lead to run out the clock.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Salvy

Salvy Member

James Harden faints....

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

The league should get rid of 3 pointers - the main reason why the nba should do away with 3 pointers is because of the power that a well-timed three can do to the complexion of a game.

The league should get rid of crowds - the main reason why the nba should do away with crowds is because of the power that a well-timed crowd cheer can do to the complexion of a game.

The league should get rid of players - the main reason why the nba should do away with players is because of the power that a well-timed player can do to the complexion of a game.

Just stop. Take a break from Clutchfans. Maybe come back next season after you've worked on your mental health.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

So let me get this straight, instead of letting refs use "fouls" as a tool and forcing all players have to earn the points. Let's get rid of it, in favor of just reward 2 pts for shooting fouls.

What's stopping refs for giving 2 points for awful shooting fouls? all this suggestion is doing is giving more powers to the ref to dictate the game.

Tbh this thread sounds like someone who is salty his team got eliminated.