1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You whiff trying to beat your S/O? :confused::eek:

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Wut?

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Correa coming home to play 3rd base and Bregman moving to 1st confirmed? (it's a joke)

raining threes likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros sign Correa this offseason:

DH Altuve
    RF Tucker
    3B Bregman
    LF Alvarez
    SS Correa
    1B Matijevic
    2B Pena
    CF Meyers
    C Lee

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  6. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Obviously it’s a pipedream, but I’ll bite … wouldn’t you want Carlos’s gun at 3B and Peña’s range at SS? Let Bergman play 2B or even LF to leave Yordan at DH

rockbox likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Bregman’s arm is better than Pena’s although I would just defer to the front office/coaches on where they all play. I do think Altuve’s defense could start to slide in the next couple of years (and there’s been some scary moments already with the yips). My guess is that Correa would demand to play SS and that Bregs is better at 3B than 2B, but I could be totally wrong. Bottom line is that after this season Houston probably could afford to pay Correa $35-40M/yr for the foreseeable future (with the caveat that it would severely limit their ability to keep their other stars or add other major free agents and trade targets).

Wulaw Horn and cmlmel77 like this.
  8. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

You serious? Pena has INSTANTLY become one of the best defensive players, the best at SS s
    Pena instantly becomes as good if not better than Correa defensively (and every other SS in the league) so let’s move him AWAY from SS? And then just to make it work we would have to DH Altuve who has been a net positive in the field? Makes way more sense to sign or trade for a masher at 1B to replace Gurriel. Freeman just got $27M and has a career .900+ OPS. Are you’re taking Freeman and Hector Neris or Correa?

All that said I love the guy and reading the Peña story makes me a bit watery eyed but you’ve got to be absolutely insane to sign a guy to that money when you just hit the lotto on his replacement. We know this team is not going to make emotional based decisions and it’s why that “window period” everyone likes to fear has yet to come and doesn’t look to be coming any time.

9. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Actually didn’t see this posted here yet so…

raining threes likes this.
  10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That just made me almost have a stroke thinking about that. The only thing I would do different I think on many a night is put Correa or Pena at 1st, the other one at SS, DH Alvarez, Altuve at 2b and play Chazzy Fizz in LF. That might actually be a more potent hitting lineup, depending upon how Matijevic hits, and it would also be the better defensive lineup I'm reasonably certain.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Twins also have a lot of potential at SS with Royce Lewis who was a number one pick. While Correa had turned it in recently there’s talk here that the Twins aren’t losing much with Correa out currently and if this one and done for Correa as a Twin they’ll still be in good shape at SS

12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Y'all are absolutely tripping with this. Correa or Pena at 1st? Why not just go get an elite 1B? You could have signed Freddie Freeman and Hector Nerris with the money Correa is making.

Correa for his career: .276/.355/.477/.832
    Freeman for his career: .296/.384/.509/.893
    Brandon Belt (just accepted the QO for $18M) for his career: .264/.358/.464

If Yuli keeps hitting like he about to turn 38 next month...I'd love if we traded for Josh Bell who is a FA next season and on the Nationals who are already 11 games back and will 100% be sellers. He'll be cheap given the recent prices for rental bats at 1B and corner OF so won't hurt us much prospect wise.

He's currently hitting .349/.444/.528. Since the 2019 season when he completely adjusted his stance/hitting mechanics, he has put up a .270/.357/.501 slash line with 37 bombs in 2019 and 27 last year. Take out the COVID shortened 2020 season where he hit .226/.305/.364 and he'd have an OPS well north of .900...

And I guarantee he won't come close to getting $35M a season. Most likely could get him signed with a 5/$110M type deal. Bonus points for him being a Texan - he was born in Irving and went to HS at Jesuit in Dallas.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I was just playing the scenario that was put out there as a hypothetical.

steddinotayto likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Kind of regretting it now, throwing it out there as a joke the other day.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Would so work though.

Wulaw Horn and steddinotayto like this.
  16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

17. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

robbie380 likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just saw an article from Dodgers site of Dodger’s fans bragging how they “owned” Carlos Correa at Dodgers Stadium during this past weeks Twins at Dodgers series.

Talk about bitter.

SLRokJok likes this.
  19. awc713

awc713 Member

I wonder if a reunion is feasible this off-season…I would love to have CC back. Peña obviously complicates things but CC makes a lot of sense if we can land at a palatable contract length. Especially if we can bring back JV…we could *really* be in business for the next few seasons, and CC alleviates the pressure to go get a CF and we can let Leon/Gilbert ease into that role.

whiskeyred and phasors28 like this.
  20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Correa is looking for $30+ million a year. The Astros have moved on. Pena is their SS. Forget about it. They will spend the money on JV, sign Tucker to an extension, find a 1st baseman. They will hopefully find the CFer internally.

Bregatron and jim1961 like this.