1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jan 8, 2021.

1. HTM

HTM Member

lmao now supposedly I'm the one misrepresenting things. That's funny.

What would I propose? Everyone who has paid back student loans since (date TBD) get's the same amount of money. That's only fair. As I've already explained, those who paid back their loans, will be significantly economically disadvantaged compared to those who didn't or those who had the good fortunate to be born a few years later.

The reality of this though will be those who worked hard, suffered and paid back their debts will be made a mockery of and get nothing and those who didn't, some percentage of whom have sympathetic circumstances, will be getting some large amount of free money.

Astrodome likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Curious as to the date TBD... since there will always be people missing any date TBD. Also, has every law benefit been backdated so all can enjoy the same benefit? For example, if the IRS increases a tax benefit... do people that no longer work get to claim that benefit too? I don't actually know, but if we are deciding if school loan forgiveness is fair depending on "when"...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. HTM

HTM Member

You asked me what I would do.

Certainly, some will be left out. That's not a problem. I think there's a pretty obvious distinction for people like you, who could pay for college with their savings from life guarding over the summer and people in my generation. Since 1980 the cost of college has risen 1200% while the cost for all other items has risen 236%. You didn't get the raw deal. My generation did. The deal became raw somewhere along the way.

IMO, the most sensible thing is to consult economists/historians/those with relevant knowledge and look at the the most relevant data regarding the cost of college relative to inflation. Where did things really go off the rails? Start there. Was it in the late 90s? Early or mid 2000s? We can find a sensible date.

My approach is certainly far more fair then saying, "This system is broken, current student loan holders get XXX" and if you happened to have operated in the exact same system but actually paid your loans, "you get nothing."

Nice to be born in '98, sucks to suck if you're born in '91. The inequity of it is off the charts.

#343 HTM, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  4. NewRoxFan

Interesting you are attacking the guy arguing *for* student loan forgiveness for the dramatically higher costs of education. And btw, I worked as a help desk clerk and draftsman (two separate jobs) for the Presidio Army Base during my summers and as a research assistant in the Fresno State library during the school year. Coupled with a partial scholarship. So not quite lifeguarding. But yes, much higher costs today, but since my dad was a sheet metal worker we didn't have a lot of money for college (hence me working three jobs through school years).

And, I have already paid for my portion of my oldest daughter's loan and she has paid off her portion. And six months after my youngest daughter graduates next month, that new loan clock starts ticking. Though I am not supporting loan forgiveness for either daughter. I know others need it more and support it for those people.

Sure... start a study to understand the costs of education. But act too.

5. HTM

HTM Member

I do think actions need to be taken but it needs to be as fair as possible.

I imagine you could see the blatant unfairness of your older daughter working hard, working nights/weekends/overtime, making financial sacrifices, skipping weddings or vacations etc etc for years to pay back $60K in student loans (or whatever number you want to use)

and your younger daughter graduating and the President just saying, "Hey cool, I'll just wipe your debt"

Something needs to be done for your older daughter and every older daughter who will be facing that situation if Biden starts blanket forgiving loans.

That's what I'm advocating. Want to wipe student loans? Ok. Well, give those people who paid their loans their money back too. It's only fair.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

So... instead of saying "nothing can be done for anyone, since I don't want to be unfair..." , how far back do you go? And do the people the year before that get to feel it was unfair? And do people that are retired and thus missed out on income tax reduction get refunds for the tax cuts they missed?

7. HTM

HTM Member

So you going to opine on the situation I laid out regarding the daughters or just ignore that? That doesn't seem unfair to you?

I already explained how to come to a date. Sorry if you don't like that answer. I'm also open to giving everyone the same amount of money back who has ever paid student loans going back to the beginning of the program. That's fair.

Income tax rates fluctuating is the same for everyone and is not "unfair." Additionally, sometimes tax rates go up after someone retires, we don't make them retroactively pay more either. You sure you want to pursue this line of reasoning?

People who toiled in the same higher education system and had similar loan figures graduating in 2010, working hard and paying them off and those graduating from the same system in 2022 and having them wiped for free is clearly different and totally unfair.

#347 HTM, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

BREAKING: Judge Rules Against Radical Dems Efforts To Keep Marjorie Tayor Greene Off Ballot In November

[​IMG]

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

those 2 poor, misguided souls perfectly happy being used as props…lol

ROCKSS likes this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I like how that one sign simultaneously endorses school choice and a ban on CRT. If I want to choose a school that teaches CRT, which priority wins out?

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

CRT is the promotion of racism and anyone who supports it, is a racist. This is truly evil stuff and it will be opposed, hopefully with laws banning this sort of virulent racial bias and hostility.

If you want to raise your children to be virulent racists, as is currently in vogue and being aggressively advocated for by the far left, then probably home schooling will be your best bet.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I understand that Georgetown Day School is overflowing with CRT. Maybe I can send them there.

FranchiseBlade and ROCKSS like this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you even know what CRT is, and that it's not something even taught in high school?

By the way, the laws are not banning CRT, they are banning any mention of race as a cause for anything...that is no discussion of current or past racism.

15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

^ Not surprised. Trump's endorsements have little pull - except in the south.

deb4rockets likes this.
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Your written responses are as ignorant as the political cartoons you post. I didn't even know you could write. It's like if your pet suddenly starts talking to you. Except the pet would probably make more sense.

If you don't want to be a racist, SUPPORT DONALD TRUMP.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this and I also agree with you that we should we selective in which loans we choose to forgive. Doing a blanket forgiveness across the board just doesn't seem like a fair way to go and a fair use of our tax dollars. Granted, the system won't always be fair, there will always be winners and losers, but in this particular case, it's not fair to punish those of us that sacrificed to pay off our student loan debt. I'm not saying those other individuals are not making sacrifices, but we all have to pay our dues, no?

I'd be okay with approving a system that pays off the median, $17k. This would also be based on your income of your previous 2/3 years or something to that effect. Maybe threshold being individual earn less $60k and married couple makes less $120k? Just throwing stuff at the wall on the restrictions.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Assigning blame never works politically.

Even if he hypothetically isn't to blame, he's in charge.

The only thing that will help him politically is tangible improvement.