1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman Fertitta: Rockets expect to make ‘big move’ by 2023-24 season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madbomber, May 5, 2022.

1. Landry's Tooth

I would rather take a shot at an older free agent on a shorter deal than a player like Wiggins wanting max money but is at best the 3rd best player on a good team.

Like the Suns did with Chris Paul...

Leaves the door open for moves later...

2. Landry's Tooth

Just curious, if Kyrie is gone and Durant left to himself and his bottem tier playoff team... wondering if we pick him up to send them their picks back.... they could choose full rebuild if Durant can't attract another star...

Kevin Porter
    Jalen Green
    Kevin Durant
    Jabari Smith
    Alperen Sengun

Sign me up maybe in a year... if there's no one better available...

rhee likes this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

The big move is that they’re going to put a Willie G’s on in the upper bowl.

4. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

BigMaloe, kubli9, tycoonchip and 4 others like this.
  5. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Don't fall in love with these players, Green + 2022 pick + free agent(s) in 2023 has always been a solid quick rebuild plan. Guys like Sengun, JC, Garuba, KJ, can and should be moved to facilitate a sign and trade for a star.

kpdark likes this.
  6. Landry's Tooth

I think they prefer to keep as many of those guys as possible. The Wall contract during the season would be the facilitator or the cap space he leaves in the offseason.

The cap hold on Wood isn't large. They should be able to send out picks and no salary back to a team with a disgruntled star.

They could resign Wood, Tate, Porter, etc. by going over the cap then... similar to what the Spurs did to sign Aldridge before giving Kawhi his deal...

Not saying they will resign those guys, just saying they have the option to with the bird rights...

7. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

in context, he's talking about a big move in the standings. not a big roster move.

"I think you’re going to see improvement this year and I think our big move is after this coming year. We expect to win more ballgames this coming season, and we expect to make a big move (the) next year."

he even clarifies his point in the second sentence that he's talking about winning games, i.e., movement in the standings. this isn't really news as we knew the plan was to shoot for the play-in / play-offs that season anyway since we owe our pick to OKC leaving no reason to tank.

Dobbizzle, BigMaloe, burlesk and 5 others like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would want a behavioral analyst do his job on that guy......

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i dont mind... folks gotta create 'content'..lol.... now if he only took select quotes, and placed them in a framework promoting his personal agenda and completely ignored other quotes that didnt fit his narrative.... THEN he would be on par with present day 'media'.... lol!

madbomber likes this.
  11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

so basically...
    "we've been the worst team in the league for a couple years - so we got a couple high draft picks - so in the future we should be better..."

Brilliant Mr Frittata, brilliant! :rolleyes:

Der Rabbi and daywalker02 like this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If we've learned anything about Tilman: even if we are going to tank harder this coming season, he would have said these same words.

13. Landry's Tooth

They are being successful at failing. They are trying to rebuild. A couple of really bad years is better than a decade of mediocrity...

I wonder how you felt about Jim Crane during 3 straight 100 loss seasons????

madbomber likes this.
  14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Plus. 2x Landrys card points at Toyota center on Tuesdays

kjayp likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

The Astros are head and shoulders better than the rockets led by the worst owner. There’s no correlation with them and the current state of the rockets

16. Landry's Tooth

I understand that is your opinion. What basis do you have for it? You left that out...

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

I have years of posts since he became owner that make it true. It doesn’t need to be repeated that many times when folks who actually pay attention know

18. Landry's Tooth

Sorry, haven't seen them..

He spends money. Not sure what more you need...

Harden's demands seem to have been the issue more than TF giving into them...

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nah he doesn’t. You obviously haven’t paid attention.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The only thing I think he’s talking about is the well know fact that they’ll have cap space as well as 2 top 5 draft picks. So what him and everyone knows is it’s an off-season they’ll be aggressive in free agency.

Nobody knows who will be the target because we don’t know which young players could explode and be on demand in free agency and there are players who aren’t obvious now that could get in a bad situation and want out.