1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It's also nice to see Paredes is pitching well in AAA. He has 1 walk in his last 4 appearances.

0.90 ERA
    1.20 WHIP
    10 IP
    5 BB

Then the thought of Brown or maybe even Whitley coming up late in the season... they could be weapons out of the pen.

2. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I remember Luhnow was always so excited about Paredes every time he was asked about the young arms. It would be nice to see him pan out.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pressly should be fine. His FB was 93-94 in his first game back (he sat 95-96 at his peak). Hoping he can at least get back to being 94-95 and be plenty effective. Sure is shitty timing he gets hurt right after signing that big deal.

4. raining threes

Malady down to .074 with 2 K's tonight. Headed for that .050

5. Screaming Fist

Pressly’s fastball is still down 2.0 mph, as it has been for a while. He induced one whiff on 21 pitches. He looked pretty bad but maybe he’s not ready yet…which does not explain using him in a save situation tonight.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Screaming Fist

I think whatever is ailing him happened in spring training if not towards the end of last season. It’s really hard to explain.

raining threes likes this.
  7. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thinking about Jeremy Pena has me thinking about something else: there was a lot of complaining about the "unused" $30 million after not signing Carlos and how we should have spent more this offseason. As you say, though, on this year's team, it's hard to identify where to even try to upgrade.

Next year, however, there are obvious holes to fill: 1B, LF, C. The $30 million we are not spending on Carlos will be crucial in filling those holes. So, should we have signed Trevor Story or Kevin Gausman or Javy Baez for $25 million a year this offseason or held onto it and fill real holes next year? I think, so far, the offseason plan has been completely justified.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think they'll sign anybody big. Nor do I think they'll get early extensions secured with Yordan/Tucker.

Pena is actually the most likely to sign a Bregman-like extension given his age. They also may give Altuve/Bregman some more years if they regain form/health or re-work JV's contract if he stays healthy.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Happy Birthday Jose!

Nook, No Worries and everyday eddie like this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

His coverage on the Astros was better than Rome's and Tags'. Hope he will still cover the Astros for wherever he goes.

Nook likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Houston ends up extending Tucker or Alvarez and/or signs an elite hitter to upgrade C, CF, 1B, or LF after this season, we can look back on letting Correa leave as how Houston was able to afford those moves.

I for one was fairly disappointed that Houston’s payroll was significantly below the cap on opening day, but I still have faith in Crane; he’s earned it for awhile at least. So far the decision to replace Correa with Pena, which is likely to save $100M+ and net 2 draft picks, looks nothing short of genius.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

One crazy thing to me is that the front office has talked about Meyers in very similar terms to how they talked about Pena. We haven’t yet seen what kind of player Meyers actually is. But if he comes back and is a 3+ win player (excellent defender and well above average hitter), what a boon for the Astros and more kudos to Click. And with Lee at C, Leon in the OF/UT track, and Matijevic possibly in line for 1B, Houston might find themselves in an extremely enviable position with a ton of money to spend but a roster with no holes.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say Crane's decision was to use the money needed for Correa on Verlander, Neris, and Goodrum. Though, I'm not sure Crane choose Verlander, Neris, and Goodrum over Correa. Crane made offers to Correa that Correa rejected. Crane moved on likely thinking they had no shot at Correa and that Pena would be fine at SS.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t consider Goodrum (or really even Neris) as all that meaningful in terms of spending. They very likely could have afforded those deals even if they’d signed Correa. If they didn’t offer/sign Verlander until after they knew Correa was gone, then I would agree that Correa’s money went there. But based on the timeline and on the fact that they still ended up well under the tax threshold, I don’t think that’s the case. I think the bulk of the money they offered Correa is still unspent.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tax threshold getting raised does not mean Crane was going to spend more money.

Timeline is Crane offered Correa money. Correa said no. Just before/during lockout, Verlander contract got finalized. Lockout ends, Crane and Click talk a big game to media fans, but ghost Correa when Correa calls. Whether you want to consider Neris or Goodrum significant is your choice. Correa ended up with $35M for this year, and Verlander, Neris, and Goodrum are the contracts signed this offseason that fit. I suspect Click has saved about $10M of the budget he's been given for the trade deadline, but I doubt Click ever thought that Crane would be able to get Correa to sign and would likely have done things differently if he thought Correa was a possibility.

#375 Joe Joe, May 6, 2022
    Last edited: May 6, 2022
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

FEDF033D-4202-4FFF-9BCE-3FDC991CF7AF.jpeg
    i stole this from someone.

dmoneybangbang and J.R. like this.
  17. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Does anyone know the status of Jake Meyers?

Found this article from 4 days ago - https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/astros-jake-meyers-rehab-assignment-not-imminent/

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

phasors28 likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Jake Meyers is the modern day Carlos Hernandez.

Stellar debut… freak injury… will come back at some point but won’t be the same.

Prove me wrong Jake!

20. raining threes

Agreed,

Difference is that Crane hired an analytics guy, What he didn't hire is a ruthless analytics guy.

Nook likes this.