1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Abortion protests thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, May 5, 2022.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We've been seeing far more suggestive threatening language used against Dems for years with a lot of hand wringing and excuses made - with many Republicans saying Dems are "triggered".......so it is an interesting shoe on the other foot

2. HTM

HTM Member

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court John Roberts interpreted that way. Schumer left his comments open to interpretation. That's on him. He shouldn't have said it and he walked it back.

“I should not have used the words I used yesterday. They did not come out the way I intended to,” Schumer said, adding: “I’m from Brooklyn. We use strong language.”

Justices of the Supreme Court do not face political consequences. That excuse is disingenuous drivel.

3. HTM

HTM Member

Nobody should be threatening supreme court justices. Whatever side of the aisle they are on. Let alone Chuck Schumer whose position carries more responsibility and weight.

Nook and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody should be threatening any gov't official. Period. Whatever side they are on. We've had the POTUS threaten liberal lawmakers and that was followed by an assault on the US Capitol.

Nook, ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure. Sad we have to always self-edit to the lowest common denominator. But that doesn't mean the lowest common denominator is the ONLY interpretation

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

When they are taking political actions, why on earth wouldn't they expect political repercussions?

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. HTM

HTM Member

They are not subject to political repercussions.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. HTM

HTM Member

So every time Chuck Schumer says something bad we have to *checks notes* see what Donald Trump did or said about something?

How moronic.

Just says it's bad and move on. But you cannot help yourself with the "WhAt AbouT TruMP" can you?

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

When they are taking political actions, and in my opinion they certainly are.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I suppose that could be on purpose if one's belief is her choice to not retire under Obama was a key domino that led to this moment. Is Ironic the right term?

The website does cite the protest are peaceful doe.

11. HTM

HTM Member

What political repercussions are Supreme Court Justices exposed to?

Many, whose opinions are more worthwhile then you or I, and who presumably aren't right wing fanatics, think Roe v. Wade was bad law.

Whether the right to abortion is found in the constitution, not specifically enumerated, is the subject of intense debate and disagreement.

If the people wish, they can have such a right codified by their representatives.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, why does this clown have a checkmark?

durvasa and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. CCorn

CCorn Member

To protest this decision I will only be going back door

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You know what is actually dangerous??… a justice of the Supreme Court lying in their confirmation hearing and legislating from the bench to take away a 50 year old ruling on a constitutional right.

But yes let’s try and deflect that fact to talk about how sweet and understanding Chuck Schumer is supposed to be in his response.

You guys are just very very sad in your continued attempt to deflect because you realize how politically stupid this is. It’s what radical right wing autocrats have been wanting to do for 30 years but you all know how unpopular it is and how damaging this will be to Republicans winning elections… which is why the Republicans are doing this now when they’ve said… OUT LOUD… how they plan to start overturning elections they lose like a dictatorship.

So yeah what’s next guys???… should be go back
    to “the leaker!!!” or is there a new faux outrage deflection attempt you want to try before you go back??

Nook, snowconeman22, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  16. HTM

HTM Member

I didn't bring Chuck Schumer up. I saw his comments in the thread and then commented on them. Pro-Schumer people then kept that stream alive attempting to cover for him. Terrible comments to make and if a Republican had named and threatened specific Supreme Court Justices, no chance in hell you and others would be "He MeaAnT ThEy WouLd "Pay a price" PolITicALly."

Yea, Democrats can continue on with the whole "Yule C In the Midterms" - maybe, maybe not.

I don't know that being pro-abortion is as sympathetic or popular a cause as you believe it to be.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The framing of “pro abortion” tells you all you need to know about someone’s sincerity on the debate. Nobody wakes up in the morning and says “man.. I could really go for an abortion.” It’s an issue that the far right frames Democrats as and is highly insulting.

Will the overturning of Roe lead to a Dem victory in November?? Who knows but poling shows that overturning Roe is extremely unpopular and something like 80% of people continually poll in favor of this constitutional right standing.

What I think will galvanize the Dem coalition will be a mixture of all the unhinged far right issues that make the whole of the Republican Party as toxic and scary as Trump was in 20 which led to the Dems winning even the Senate which was kind of a huge deal given ruby red Georgia couldn’t even stomach MAGA candidates.

So take from that as you will but if you think that overturning Roe is somehow good for Republicans than obviously Mitch McConnell and FoxNews disagree with you and the highly coordinated campaign to deflect attention tells you obviously they don’t want people to talk about Roe for good reason.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This sentence says a lot about the disconnect in dialogue between the two sides of this debate.

Nook likes this.
  19. HTM

HTM Member

Well, "pro-abortion" is actually what it is. We're talking about the right to abortion. People disingenuously use "pro-choice" because "abortion" is an icky word and they don't want to use it. But that's what we're talking about. Abortion. So who is the one who is being insincere here?

Polling may suggest that nationwide the majority of people are in favor of Roe vs. Wade but that doesn't speak to strength of their support. Look at the President, he may technically be pro-abortion now but if you pressed him he would tell you he doesn't personally believe in it or wouldn't anyone he was related to to get one.

Incumbent parties traditionally do terrible in the mid-terms, the economy is a disaster and Biden's approval rating is in the toilet, Democrats will send 15 emails a day from now until November about abortion, I don't think it galvanizes like you think it does.

I don't think overturning Roe vs. Wade is necessarily "good" for Republicans for the mid-term elections, I don't think it brings out more Republican voters but I don't think a woman's right to an abortion is as sympathetic a cause as you think it is. I don't know how many voters who were going to stay at home now come out or how many swing voters go Democrat because of it.

20. HTM

HTM Member

What is the correct language?