1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Politico] Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, May 2, 2022.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have colleagues who list 10 or more of those kinds of affiliations in their email signatures, and for the most part those affiliations are just empty filler. But if folks want to think those affiliations signify something of greater importance than they actually warrant, that's cool with me. ;)

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes, my opinion is for me to decide. :p

As for this case. Chronically, it's "going backward" to pre-1973. It's not going too far backward. The Catholic church once see abortion as a miracle performed by saints (the idea that abortion was always traditionally looked upon badly by history is plain wrong). The criminalization of abortion in the US didn't start until the 1820s. Specifically, in the US, it's going back to a period of pre-1973 and post 1820. The leaked opinion that abortion was criminalized from the very early days through 1973 is a historical lie.

On the danger. I already mentioned where the next steps will logically follow after this. States will consider banning contraception and whatever else that is on shaky legal grounds that they deem 'morally unacceptable'. The danger here is not just to individual rights that we recently gained in the last 100 years, but the real impact on the human being (vs the insistence that a lump of cells is a human). Last I checked, the abortion rate and maternal death rate have gone down and are lower today than the pre-1973 decision. You can thx that to a number of factors including safe access to abortion, contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancies, medical advancements, sex education to further reduce unwanted pregnancies, and so on. Making abortion illegal will cause an increase in the maternal death rate and eventually increase the abortion rate (once birth control and emergency contraception are made illegal or much harder to access).

In a real democracy, the people would be the decider. Gov of the people, by the people, for the people. We got some big problems there with the current state of minority rule and degradation of voting rights and fair representation.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

"The unborn are a convenient group of people to advocate for. They never make demands of you; they are morally uncomplicated, unlike the incarcerated, addicted, or the chronically poor; they don't resent your condescension or complain that you are not politically correct; unlike widows, they don't ask you to question patriarchy; unlike orphans, they don't need money, education, or childcare; unlike aliens, they don't bring all that racial, cultural, and religious baggage that you dislike; they allow you to feel good about yourself without any work at creating or maintaining relationships; and when they are born, you can forget about them, because they cease to be unborn. It's almost as if, by being born, they have died to you. You can love the unborn and advocate for them without substantially challenging your own wealth, power, or privilege, without re-imagining social structures, apologizing, or making reparations to anyone. They are, in short, the perfect people to love if you want to claim you love Jesus but actually dislike people who breathe.

Prisoners? Immigrants? The sick? The poor? Widows? Orphans? All the groups that are specifically mentioned in the Bible? They all get thrown under the bus for the unborn."

D. Barnhart

jiggyfly, Nook, Invisible Fan and 4 others like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

And you are STILL talking about the damn leak. The Chief Justice confirmed it's authenticity.. so who gives a sh$t??? Why are you continuing to serve GOP propaganda tactics to deflect?

I don't care about what you have to say about the leaker. I want people like yourself to actually discuss the matter at hand which is a women's right to her own body.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. SuraGotMadHops

Premium post.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Okay, so now you are saying it is reasonable to ask people, even kids, to wear masks to help stop the spread of a deadly disease.

I am so confused....

jiggyfly, AleksandarN and dobro1229 like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It is no one's business unless they are willing to step up and care for that baby for life. No one should be able to dictate to a woman about her body, she should not be forced to term, if she doesn't want a baby.

This is just OLD WHITE DUDES trying to control women again.

DD

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

If a doctor and their patient are in agreement that a pregnancy should be terminated due to manifest harm, I don't really have much reason or right to interject myself into that decision. Yeah, late term abortions are grizzly, awful things, but my discomfort with it probably should not trump a person's right to not be marched at the barrel of a gun to their own personal demise.

I imagine some probably take issue with the mental health vs. physical health thing, and that's fine. Draw your line wherever you feel appropriate, and pray you never get faced with having to deal with such a dilemma in your own life. But I don't think I could draw any particular line in the sand about anyone else's hypothetical medical situation that would cover all scenarios appropriately. That's why we defer to doctors and their patients to handle these decisions privately.

People calling folks who have to endure the trauma of making such decisions sick and demented are really pieces of work. Probably the furthest from the example of Christ I could think of.

jiggyfly, Nook, Invisible Fan and 2 others like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So would you support the right of a woman to have an abortion when she is dilating already?

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, you clearly are confused.

Whatever point you are unsuccessfully trying to make, you are failing miserably at it.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

We can't decide ethical things like this.....that is not my business or yours.

How I feel doesn't matter, this is an individual matter of a woman and her body, the state should have no sway over that, anymore than they do a man getting a vasectomy....it is a choice.

DD

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

If a woman is in the process of giving birth, it is no longer an abortion. No need to sensationalize things.

jiggyfly, AleksandarN and ElPigto like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So you would say it should be legal for a woman to abort the unborn baby when she is already dilating?

I just want to make sure I understand your position.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What about a day earlier?

Where would you draw the line?

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Yeah, don't play this game. This is theater over non-scenarios meant to gin up emotions.

Everyone has their own personal threshold and values on this.

I can no better tell you when it's too late to have an abortion than you can tell me when this color turns from green to yellow.

[​IMG]

Nook and Lil Pun like this.
  16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Just to be clear I would support a WOMAN TO MAKE HER OWN CHOICE - yes.

DD

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So you would draw the line there. I don't agree with that. I mean, the child is basically fully developed. 10 minutes later and it would be murder/manslaughter.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No one cares

*edited to satisfy content moderation interests of @Os Trigonum

#258 Sweet Lou 4 2, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because so many people decide to have an abortion 10 minutes before giving birth.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not trying to make a point, I am trying to understand your general position on government.

It is wildly inconsistent and extremely confusing.

Over the last month or so you made an entire platform on the authoritarianism that is making kids wear masks, comparing it to brutal dictatorships, etc.

Okay, I don't necessarily agree, but I respect the position that some people just don't want the government dictating literally anything when it comes to personal freedoms. I am completely fine with that view.

Then, you claimed to be a fan of Desantis, and in fact took it to an extreme, noting that it was winning that he restored the personal freedoms related to Covid control. I get it, no problem with those two positions, they are consistent.

But then I asked, since you seemed to really be focusing the fear of totalitarian governments and losing freedoms, how you put aside the book censorship, the LBGQ censorship, the Disney retaliation that Desantis is also championing, and you laughed it off, citing it does not affect anyone, and it is ridiculous to compare those things the oppression of the CCP / Putin. Hmm, okay. I thought it was odd to be so far in support of one part of that position, and yet so disinterested in a related portion. But sure, maybe there is some distinction here I don't get that separates masks and voting rights / censorship, etc. .

I actually found you incredibly interesting, because of those inconsistencies, and I was eager to see you show in this thread, because I wasn't sure what your position would be. I pondered if you would start your post with "The GOP has failed Women", in fact that was my guess.

But now, in what seems to be a complete 180, on the topic of abortion, you seemed to have completely abandoned your totalitarian fears, and cited it being a complicated position. Again, not an unreasonable position in a vacuum, in fact that would be how I would summarize my position on the Covid mandates...its complicated. Yet, when viewed in aggregate with your previous arguments, just don't make sense. The only thing that I can logically make sense at this point is that you simply value the life and freedom for certain groups more than others, which I certainly hope isn't true.

jiggyfly, AleksandarN and ElPigto like this.