1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jeremy Pena Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 25, 2022.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Perhaps he is too patient. I think he leads the team in pitches seen per at bat. (I think I heard Kalas say that last night). Start swinging at those early fast balls down the middle. See what happens.

2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Sure. It also doesn't help that once he gets on base it takes 2 doubles to get him home.

3. bobrek

Years ago as a Colt 45, Bob Cerv was thrown out at home trying to score from second on a triple.

4. raining threes

You can't win with a catcher hitting this bad, I don't care how good of a defensive catcher he is. The reason the offense is struggling is the 8,9,1 spots in the lineup. Look at the good teams and what their catchers hit last year.

everyday eddie likes this.
  5. bobrek

The World Series losing team had a catcher that hit .172 last year.

6. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Potentially, but Pena could have the same discipline issues. I think there's a high chance that his chase rate will go down with time and experience, but I still want to see proof of it. Some guys can never figure out how to lay off of the down and away slider their whole career and it dooms them. I'm hopeful, though, because I've already seen him make adjustments and be better with the down and away breaking ball. Odorizzi's comments last night about Pena's approach and work ethic reflect what everyone else says about him, and what my own eyes see. So I'm very, very hopeful.

That being said, Carlos is a damn good hitter. Better than Carlos at the plate would mean he develops a plus hit tool in addition to the plus power he is flashing. If Pena is as good or better hitter than Carlos, he's a top 5-10 player in all of MLB and a hall of famer if he stays healthy over his career. That's pretty tough to project on a guy who has played only a month in the majors and started the offseason off of, or barely on, most top 100 lists.

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Y'all are aware there is a general Astros discussion thread, right?

8. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

ehehehehehhehehehehe

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I said he could be a more consistent hitter than Correa, not a better hitter overall. Correa was hot and cold. Luckily some of his hot streaks were when the playoff lights were on.

From a defensive standpoint, it looks like Pena is covers more ground and has better anticipation than Correa, but he will never have Correa's cannon of an arm.

The fact that we aren't missing Correa that much is a win in my book. It also nice that Pena has already hit 2 homers when the game was on the line, so I'm thinking he has that clutch gene (wanting to be in the spotlight).

#369 rockbox, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I think this is a Jeremy Pena Thread that has morphed into a Maldonado thread.

Back to Jeremy.

So far his D is what I expected. Very Everette like range but with additional diving to stop balls at the edges of his range. A few problems losing focus on the easy ones, but that's expected with a rookie.

The surprise is getting out of the gate batting at a high level. I just didn't think he could be near his potential with reduced PA over the last three years. I give him an A for April.

The Astros struggles have not come at SS or CF where we expected them. They are from positions where we have veterans with a recent history of success.

#370 Marshall Bryant, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
  11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

What was his OPS, and what is it this year?

Hint: I posted it on the previous page

Now, yes I agree with the others, back to Pena.

His homers have been sick to watch. Such a quick bat.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Homers during the new dead ball era are extraordinary.

13. bobrek

It is and has sucked. But, I was responding to the comment implying that the 'good' teams had good hitting catchers last season. he Astros were a good team last year and their catcher(s) sucked at hitting contrary to the post I responded to.

But, as others have said, this is the Pena thread. We can move this discussion to the general thread.

14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

it was a stupid example. You just didn’t know Winker’s age, the prospect cost, or the horrible contract duct taped to Winker to make the deal go.

If you did, you wouldn’t be here touting it as the example of a game changing move for a “young” prospect or player.

Or you really think the Astros shoulda done it and just figure out how to eat that Suarez contract and force him into 3B somehow?

don’t wanna be called stupid … don’t post dumb things consistently. And no, it’s not just me. Basically everyone thinks you’re a moron. Or are you not seeing the posts to which you have no response

and Go Jeremy Pena

jiggyfly and Bregatron like this.
  15. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

La Puta Madre will NOT disappoint us fellas.

16. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just taking a step back, it's absolutely amazing that Correa's rookie, barely on top prospect lists if he's on them at all, shortstop replacement is, a month into his MLB career, 10th in the AL in bWAR and 8th in the AL in fWAR.

Still small sample size, blah blah, but the 7 guys ahead of and 7 guys behind him in fWAR in the AL so far this year are, in order: Ramirez, Trout, Crawford, Franco, Judge, France, Springer, [Pena], Rizzo, Alvarez, Bogaerts, Kepler, Bregman, Devers, and Straw. With the exception of Straw and Kepler, who are without-a-doubt solid big leaguers, those guys are all stars. And the thing is, there are obvious areas indicating potential improvement, such as the low BABIP and the characteristic-for-rookies high chase rate.

17. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

The tools on Peña jump off the screen. Easy to see how great an athlete he is. Quick powerful bat. Amazing that pitchers feel like they must get inside of plate. Perhaps he is showing low and outside plate coverage and discipline on tape.

raining threes likes this.
  18. raining threes

Like I care what other people think. LMAO

Enjoy

19. raining threes

Key word in that post was losing.

How many runs did they score in the games they lost in that series?

20. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I was just thinking to myself. You know what this Jeremy Pena thread is missing.............
    Talk about Jeremy Pena!!

jiggyfly likes this.