1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Politico] Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, May 2, 2022.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Roberts already does that though.

He cares more about the perception of the court than the correct legal outcome, so by that standard he should stand in solidarity, especially when it doesn't affect the outcome.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Women are natural born killers!!! Lock them all up!!!

Think of the children.

In nature, 50 percent of all fertilized eggs are lost before a woman's missed menses.
    Link.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Josh is also an adjunct scholar at the Cato Institute

The Cato Institute is an American libertarian think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C. It was founded in 1977 by Ed Crane, Murray Rothbard, and Charles Koch,[6] chairman of the board and chief executive officer of Koch Industries.

You should be more informed on where the drivel you consume is coming from. I could post more about the fantasy that Cato and Reason are libertarian but this is already off topic.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

"But The Leaks!!!!" is about the stupidest take on this I could possibly imagine:

A. It would be more shocking and have more impact if this decision came down and had a hit like a ton of bricks. This serves as a "soft landing" that actually helps the blowback and serves you nutcases. You should thank whoever is strategically leaking this without a dissent. It would be like Trump getting mad at Bill Barr writing his opinion about the Mueller Report before the full report was released. Tell me again who that served?

B. Nobody is reversing their decision if this is legit and already voted on. The only reason why it's pending is because they are waiting for the dissent.

You idiots on the right are just so freaking obnoxious with your Kremlin like propaganda tactics "BUT THE LEAKS" might be the dumbest deflection to push your American Taliban bullshit on everyone else. Now back to the topic of you jerkoffs pushing your religion and bigotry on me and my family. Personal freedoms my A$$.

joshuaao, Lar, gifford1967 and 3 others like this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

[​IMG]

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That is for sure a possibility. On the other hand, not everything is a constitutional right, correct? There has to be criteria, judicial debate, and a line drawn and redrawn. It was a 5-4 decision that forcing states to keep public swimming pools open isn't a constitutional right even if they were closed for racial reasons. It was a 5-4 decision that equity in school funding isn't a US Constitutional right, and later miraculously was interpreted as a Texas State Constitutional right.

Even for enumerated rights, their interpretations have evolved over the years. The right to an attorney used to mean once a trial started. The right to an attorney used to mean you didn't get one if you couldn't afford one. Self-incrimination used to NOT prevent the cops from questioning you after you said you wanted to remain silent and see an attorney. The right to free speech used to mean you couldn't burn a flag. How do you make these decisions? There has to be legal theories and framework. The constitution is not black and white on all issues.

And swinging it back to abortion, there are very good legal arguments connecting to the constitution, but there are also very good legal arguments to moving a cutoff line, or not even having a line at all. And by the way, Gov regulating personal life as states see fit and as Congress sees fit is something that has been part of the fabric of this country since the founding. Tell me why Constitutionally, that marrying your sister or cousin is illegal and that government can enforce that when marriage has been found to be an interpreted unenumerated substantive constitutional right that states cannot deny (to gays nor to interracial)? If it's the dumb kids argument, then what about not having kids? What about having multiple husbands or wives? Why are laws preventing that Unconstitutional? The answer would be logically inconsistent with current Supreme Court interpretation of your rights, and sometimes it's just about preference. Sometimes there is no answer that perfectly fits the Constitution and abortion is square in the middle of that gray zone.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think you know how "fellows" and "adjunct scholars" work. but nice try anyway

8. Xopher

Xopher Member

Here are some other cases that were decided based on 14th Amendment protections.

Loving v Virginia-Interracial marriage

Griswold v Connecticut -The right for married couples to use contraception

Eisenstadt v. Baird - unmarried people having the right to contraception

Lawrence v Texas - made homosexual sodomy illegal. However, 10 other states has laws on the books banning sodomy between heterosexual and homosexual.

Martin v.Zihelr and Zysk v Zysk- used the Lawrence case as foundation for striking down a law in Virginia making consensual sex between unmarried people illegal.

Obergfell v Hodges - Gay marriage

There are a lot of others. All of these are under threat to have states decide whether any of these should be legal in each respective state.

Invisible Fan, Kim and No Worries like this.
  9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

So does this now mean...

Child support payments start at conception?

Can I claim my unborn on my taxes even if they aren't born yet?

Can I claim them in student loan repayment calculating?

Can I claim them in receiving any benefits that I am currently receiving?

Can we now use the HOV lane?

superfob, jchu14, jiggyfly and 4 others like this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

[​IMG]

Best news I have heard in a long time although the leaker should get in trouble.

11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It won't change much just look at the war on drugs that ban really worked out. For the love me I can't understand why the party of small government and individual freedoms keep doing the opposite of their ideology? People have free will you can't force a mass amount of people under a "democracy" to do something they completely disagree with.

JayGoogle likes this.
  12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

[​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's the same reason democrats claim to be for Healthcare, worker protections, etc, but hardly do a thing to promote them, if not act hostile to them.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, Mexico will become quite a booming business on the border as abortion clinics will open up .....and women will travel there - also Canada - and any state that still allows it.

The Religious right is the American Taliban.

DD

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Are they women again and not birthing people temporarily for this?

No one saying it'll cost the republicans the midterms would take an even money bet backing the democrats, that's for sure, it's all bluster

#115 Aleron, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
    blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  16. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Nice try at deflection. The article is written by a member of a Koch funded institute in a Koch funded publication. Does it need to be ass to mouth for you to see the connection to conservative billionaires.

To bring it back on topic. Why is a libertarian publication fawning over the evisceration of our liberties at the hands of the SCOTUS?

AleksandarN, jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The Dems haven't had a meaningful path to even passing legislation at the federal level since 2010. Not sure anyone can throw lobs at the Dems. And at least in my case, when I lived in a reasonably well run Blue State, I saw lots of legislation aimed at healthcare, workers rights, minimum wage etc..

75% of abortions in the US are by women at or below the poverty line. These women are in no position to fund trips to other states, let alone Canada or Mexico.

Rich women will continue to find a way to get access to legal abortion but the poor will go back to the dark ages. I still can't grasp the idea that girls today will have fewer legal rights than their mothers but here we are.

#117 geeimsobored, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
  18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Big win for small government advocates. The government can once again tell women to go **** themself.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

100% does start at birth, when a DNA test will explicitly state who the father is. The government has an interest in having every child financially supported by their biological parents. Congress must pass this immediately!!!

And then we will see the old, rich, white men heading for the pro-life exits, rapidly and in an orderly fashion.

B-Bob and snowconeman22 like this.
  20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is always the excuse, "but Congress". Democratic leadership loves nothing more than to have their hands tied. It's controlled opposition at its finest.

Some stuff does squeak through at the margins, but by and large, Democrats are gutless and do not follow through on their campaign promises, even when they have a mandate and majority.

If you think packing DC with team blue is going to get you universal healthcare, a higher minimum wage, legalized recreational drugs, cheaper prescriptions, less war, better education, student loan forgiveness, etc, I have a crumbling bridge built in the 1950s I'd like to sell you.

B-Bob likes this.