1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Had my catalytic converter stolen from my 2005 Prius.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by glynch, Dec 24, 2020.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I think it's worth doing it, especially if you catch them on camera. I'm hoping it makes it so these places get broken up. Anything that makes it harder for them to turn a profit is worth it, especially if it doesn't cost you much effort/time

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

On a side note my real fear are these catalytic converter thieves messing it up for the legitimate smaller mechanics out there and them somehow hard coding the cat to the car.

See newer 2007+ Mercedes transmissions for example... Ie adding some built in sensor that the car won't start in addition to the o2 etc, I haven't thought much on it, but I personally know how much of a pita to rebuild a Mercedes transmission is/bypass Mercedes supposed theft bullshit. That part was never a theft concern, but this cat stuff is for sure.

3. SuraGotMadHops

Thank you for sharing this, I also have a Tundra and I am worried sick about getting my cat stolen. I almost feel like its a matter of when, not if. I'm scared to park it anywhere. I looked into protection shields but the ones I found before were over $600, plus installation. This is a much more affordable option. The fact people need to look into spending several hundred dollars just to prevent their cars from being effed with bothers the crap out of me.

If anyone knows of any shops that do the paint/VIN etch job, please let me know. If I don't shell out for the shield, I at least want to do that.

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think the etch/paint is probably something I could try to share eventually, if I have time.... I mean if there's not a video up already somewhere, it's something pretty easy to do with limited tool access too. Like if you do pay someone for that, I wouldn't pay too much unless they are going to do something special.

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Alternate option if you don't care about your neighbors/excess noise or the environment and are broke/insurance doesn't cover it... Could just delete the cat temporarily/permanently. I'm not endorsing this unless you're making a track car and it can be a headache on most newer cars but... $7-9k in cats is absurd (just some recent quotes I've seen), especially if you aren't able to stop the thieves and this is a 2nd or 3rd go round. The good news is no one's going to bother stealing a pipe/bypass, the bad news is you probably will get some dirty looks and you will have to have a connection for inspections (in most places). Again not endorsing that but that's bs prices/lots of down time if that's your only vehicle

#45 CCity Zero, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
  6. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

If you do the 3/16 plate, it's a little cheaper. You could get by with only the front plate, since the 2 rear pieces on Tundras are resonators. The big ticket items are the two closer to the engine.

I heard it could cost several thousands to repair and weeks of waiting for parts from dealers. I'm not willing to risk it and would rather take care of it now. I know I'd hate myself for not doing it.

He is local, in case you wanted to pick it up from him and save shipping costs. I'm on the opposite side of town, so I chose shipping. Some even got theirs installed by him for a little extra cost. I'd install it for free if you're near me.

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

7. Buck Turgidson

What keeps the assholes from just grinding it off after they steal it (like firearms)?

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing too after I posted that, like these thieves really don't care and depending who they're going to on the side to resell/recycling place, I think they'd just cut around it/grind off the etch/paint etc (like you mention) or they'd just not even care. Especially when they're doing it in day light on camera. Probably the better deterrent is blocking easy access to at least make it a little more difficult.

If I were in this position on my truck not working from theft. I'd probably just delete the cat if it were stolen from me, haha thieves won't be interested in pipes.... I mean putting money into performance upgrades or something else might be money better spent that dealing with repeat theft. I mean the whole things frustrating.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm sure this forum talks about deletes too but here's a thread discussing a few other places for the shields, probably all sold out by now and I've never personally used them but probably worth looking into: https://www.tundras.com/threads/catalytic-converter-theft-and-tundras.98148/ to order or maybe look for more threads there, I'm sure there's a ton of discussion on it.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  11. CCorn

CCorn Member

People who run chop shops should get life.

Phillyrocket and CCity Zero like this.
  12. lpbman

lpbman Member

I find it difficult to see that slowing me down much... but then I have a hard time getting into the head space of stealing vs screwing around in the shop. Swapping over to a handheld angle grinder is nbd... probably not true for someone looking to be gone in a minute or two.

I wonder if you couldn't just attack the pipe from above.

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I didn't even look at this one... Wtf, so the cables the video demonstrates using the saw wrong.... You have to hold the cables in place - But I also wouldn't use a saw here regardless (like you mentioned), if for some reason I couldn't get around this and just unscrew it, I'd use an angle grinder like you mentioned and it'd not add enough time. You need a bigger deterent like a big metal cover so they hopefully go to the next car since it adds more time to get around, assuming it's fabricated correctly and can't easily be removed.

I'm not gonna switch to the bad side and steal cats but there are probably shops that literally steal from their customers and resell them the same cats... Or sell them to people waiting already, this is a bad cycle.

Funny side story on working on cars with a cat related code... I actually saved someone demanding I replace their catalytic converter, it was literally an air leak throwing the o2 off before the cat, $30 in parts and a lot less labor bill/passed inspection next day (after doing the drive cycles) etc etc and he never questioned me again (never saw the check engine light again either). Of course some mechanic's quote he had wanted the cat replaced to run the bill up, I prefer to be honest but I don't like being questioned on a repair if I'm saving them big money... I want to say I saved him over $1500. Like I explicitly tell people if it doesn't fix it and I'm wrong we can do the part you "think it is/were told it was" and I'll work with you on the labor/parts you paid but I think they've been scammed so much that they're surprised I'm doing them a solid and being honest.

#53 CCity Zero, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
    lpbman likes this.
  14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I rubbed dogsh1t all over mine. Have at it!

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The body shop when they installed the replacement told me there was no way you could remove it without the special tool to remove the bolts on it. I kind of internally scoffed at it but took it for the deterrence "I'll go over to that one that doesn't have one instead" factor.

When I took it back for maintenance and was talking to the service guy he laughed when I told him the collision center at the same dealership told me that. He said it depends on how bad the thieves want the converter and how much time they think they have, but that every once in a while they get vehicles in with missing converters where thieves got the skid plate off.

Have seen stories of them towing off Tundras from people's driveways just to dump them some place quiet and steal the converters.

18. Buck Turgidson

You just have catstrap fever

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Reported.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, the guy telling you about "special bolts" is full of it, so I'm glad you brought it up again.

It has to be mounted basically where there isn't access to get to the bolts and I don't think there's a way to easily do that without mods, I work on cars a lot but haven't personally looked into these plates/design. I think having one hopefully makes them pass on it, but if not... And it happens again just take the money and delete the cat, haha, I mean I'd be fed up at that point and the new fines/laws they're trying to pass through in Houston are a joke to curb this behavior, class c misdemeanor or something silly iirc, assuming the actual owner doesn't catch them and mess them up - the thieves/shops have nothing to lose from the law.

arkoe and Buck Turgidson like this.