1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Congratulations to Gov DeSantis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jul 31, 2021.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, you can definitely add that to their achievements (except I am not a fan of higher and higher taxes - funneling more money to the government usually does not lead to better outcomes for the people, but just to inefficiency and government overreach, eventually).

I am not "far right". I do believe in a right to decent healthcare and education. I do believe in religious freedom (and the freedom to be free from religion). I do believe the wealth gap in the US is too big. I do believe in equal rights for everyone, regardless of skin color, religion and sexual orientation.

And I do acknowledge that much of these freedoms and equal rights were fought for by the Left for a long time.

We cannot take any of it for granted. But I believe government overreach and woke excesses need to be stopped. And I think DeSantis (and possibly some moderates in the Democratic Party) are our best bet for a better future.

Not Trump. Not Pelosi. Not the virtue signalers on the Left. And certainly not the racist crazies on the Right.

JayGoogle likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Does Desantis believe the wealth gap is an issue?

Let's put it this way. Does Desantis believe the wealth gap is a bigger issue or LGBTQ teachers grooming kids to have sex with them as a bigger issue?

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think you will eventually see that DeSantis is not as chummy with Trump as you think. He will challenge and sideline him. At the right time, though.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Florida has no state income tax. He just vetoed a solar bill that would have burdened consumers.

We will see.

He is a public servant. He isn't super rich like Trump.

Will I agree with everything he does? Unlikely. Do I like what I see so far? Yes. Shoot me.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So still... no moderate positions. desantis is simply trump-lite. The only difference is he wasn't rich. LOL... literally "poor man's trump".

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Explain how he is Trump lite

7. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Until he actually does it, it’s just bull crap. And if he does it, there is zero trust still. Because it’s all politics, not principle.

I believe it comes down to risk tolerance: The risk that Desantis is a fraud and basically a Trumper or Trump lite, whatever people want to call it … versus the “risk” posed by four more years of democrat president. I have no tolerance for the former, and the latter appears to me a manufactured risk by Fox News. Every single “horror” from Fox News appears fabricated to get less educated white people all riled up and feel like victims.

inflation - its global supply chain from the pandemic.

gas prices - its a global issue and the oil companies have no incentive to drill baby drill.

critical race theory, pedophelia, grooming kids, dewokefying curricula: crap to get trumpers and suburban moms feeling under attack and fear for their children.

Covid restrictions and vaccines: turn a health and science discussion into identity politics.

A bunch of manufactured bull crap victimhood versus return of Trump/Trumpism. It could not be an easier call to make.

Only todays Republican Party could have me feeling this way. Until Cheney, Kensinger or Romney types get control, the republicans are dead to me.

leroy, JayGoogle and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Desantis isn’t Trump lite. For starter, he isn’t racist and he got a functional brain. The main thing he is better than Trump is he has a higher ceiling for achieving an authoritarian form of gov. That makes him more attractive to today's Republicans who fully have bought into white nationalism or given up on the current democratic form of government.

FranchiseBlade and Rileydog like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Florida has been far less authoritarian than almost all other states during Covid.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

What other state legislated against a company as retaliation?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This affects nobody in real life.

Being locked up at home, schools and kindergartens being closed for months, ridiculous rules about not being able to see your dying relatives, masking toddlers - that's authoritarian.

Not some little power struggle with a corporation that pretends to be woke (by the way, watch them cave in Saudi when they could lose money by doing their woke stuff).

People will not forget who seized the opportunity to go all Chinese Communist Party on them, and who didn't.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Political persecution against people that disagree with you is 100% authoritarian.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Political persecution my ass. You are being ridiculous. Dramatic much? Go to China or Russia if you want to see what actual political persecution is.

I don't know why, but somehow I thought of you as being a smarter poster than what I have been seeing recently.

Low energy, low quality.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was political retaliation. DeSantis said as much. He is a governing politician.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They didn't even allow privately owned businesses to set their own policies. Talk about government intrusion, big government, and government overreach

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Retaliation, yes. Persecution - come on now.

They challenged him because they thought it would get them some brownie points from the Left.

He showed them who is boss - in a perfectly legal and reasonable way. They are not above the law. Tough luck for them. I guess they can try to move Disneyworld to Alaska. Good luck with that.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Did DeSantis decide tax policy decisions which is power of the state against speech he didn't like?

So a state actor is a boss of a private entity? Sounds kinda commie

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, a great move to protect civil liberties. People voting with their feet. Net, more than a thousand people a day moving here, primarily from Chinese CCP style run places like NY and CA.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Courts can scrutinize this. I doubt he would lose.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I was at MIA today, and people in the elevator started talking about what a great governor FL has. Immigrants.

This guy will be going places.