1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 Draft/5-170] Teagan Quitoriano, TE, Oregon State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 30, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Teagan Quitoriano?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2023.
  1. YES

38.9%
  2. NO

61.1%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

TEAGAN QUITORIANO | Oregon State 6056 | 256 lbs. | SR. Salem, Ore. (Sprague) 3/15/2000 (age 22.12) #84

BACKGROUND: Teagan Quitoriano (Kwi-tore-ee-on-o), who is one of three children, grew up in Salem and attended Sprague High. A four-year letterman, he was called up to varsity during the playoffs as a freshman tight end. After playing both ways as a sophomore, Quitoriano earned First Team All-State and Conference Defensive Player of the Year as a junior with 19.0 tackles for loss and 8.0 sacks. He also earned Second Team All-State honors on offense with four touchdown grabs. As a senior, he helped Sprague to a nine-win season and again earned All-Conference in 2017. However, Quitoriano was even more accomplished as a four-year letterman in basketball. He was named the Greater Valley Conference Player of the Year as a junior and earned All-State honors with 29 points and 13 rebounds per game, also converting 43% from behind the arc.

A three-star recruit out of high school, Quitoriano was the No. 78 athlete in the 2018 recruiting class and the No. 10 recruit in the state of Oregon. He narrowed down his final choice to Oregon and Oregon State and committed to the Ducks the summer prior to his senior year. Quitoriano stayed committed to Oregon after Willie Taggart left for Florida State but didn’t sign with any school on signing day. Two months later in April 2018, he officially flipped to Oregon State. Quitoriano accepted
    his invitation to the 2022 East-West Shrine Game.

STRENGTHS: Big-bodied target and plays like a power forward in the post ... above average hand strength (zero drops as a senior) ... crowded catch points don’t bother his concentration, routinely extending and finishing in a crowd ... doesn’t move with stiffness in his routes and flashes a little something after the catch ... experienced run blocker with grappling strength and long-levers at the point of attack ... looks to roll into contact, which helps him create thump and movement ... his competitive temperament shows in a variety of ways on film ... played almost 600 snaps on special teams coverages in college.

WEAKNESSES: Sluggish off the line with speed that is more build-up than immediate ... will have a tough time uncovering vs. man in the NFL ... reaches his depth, but lacks instincts or set-up as a route-runner ... can get crazed when attempting to finish as a zone blocker ... his feet and hips need to keep up with his hands once he slams into contact ... inconsistent edge-setter ... wasn’t asked to pass block a ton and his below average technique reflects that ... penalized five times as a senior, including three false starts ... lackluster receiving production with 40 career catches (only three career catches of 30-plus yards).

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Oregon State, Quitoriano was the Y tight end in head coach Jonathan Smith’s balanced offense, lining up primarily inline. Underutilized as a pass-catcher, he had his most productive season as a senior, which ranked him seventh on the team in receiving yards in 2021. A highly decorated basketball player in high school (led the state of Oregon in points and rebounds in 2017), Quitoriano plays football in a similar way as a power forward, relying on his size, strength and ball skills to be productive. While he is a coordinated athlete, his average play speed creates little separation and his blocking tends to get out of control. Overall, Quitoriano shows the promise of an NFL combination tight end because of his size and toughness as a pass-catcher and blocker, but he struggled to show playmaking skills in either area on tape. He will have the chance to earn a backup Y role with a club.

GRADE: Priority Free Agent

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t like the value.

Rudyc281 and my time to shine like this.
  4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yeah, Nick is drafting people that he knows won't make the team now. Can't have too many rookies.

5. my time to shine

He already had the best draft in Texans history… so ima just let him tap out now

6. my time to shine

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Fantasma Negro

I think he's bored of the draft and moved onto udfa. He may have handed in the wrong card lol.

8. Buck Turgidson

Practice squad needs bodies too.

9. H. Christopher

Solid draft

raining threes likes this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He got bored and let Jack make a pick.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Best all around TEs already off the board and we needed some comp, so he's taking a chance on a guy with bball background.
    So far I'm loving the draft, so we'll have to see what this guy can do.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. mario_v

mario_v Member

I couldn’t even find any highlights of him on YouTube.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I have no idea wtf they are doing here. Trust your scouts I guess. I don’t know anything about this dude.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

I want him to hang around just so I can call him Quitterino

15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

But can he weakside block in punting formations?

16. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I think we view him as a blocker in our "power run" formations we'll supposedly be using next year alongside Kenyon Green & co.
    But has some upside as a receiver as well
    This is just a fansite eval but:

"Quitoriano is essentially a sixth offensive lineman when he’s on the field. He has a competitive appetite as a blocker. As a run blocker, he’s a battering ram. Once he latches on he drives his legs and is looking to bury the man across from him."

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/19/unpacking-future-packers-no-92-teagan-quitoriano/

17. my time to shine

18. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Sweet, a fullback. I miss those dudes

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

I, too, miss Cullen Gillaspia

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member