1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congratulations to Gov DeSantis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Buck Turgidson

Wonderful post. I was compared to Stalin on the left, as opposed to somebody's Hitler on the right.

What a glorious way to engender a conversation.

2. Buck Turgidson

You and he have religious, islamic, issues, that I want no part of, no matter who or what I might agree with. Sorry.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You might want to re-read the post.

4. Buck Turgidson

Thrice it's been read.

"would rather vote left wing radicals over right wing moderates"

Good talk. I do love that you've both pegged me as some sort of lefty lunatic, simply because I despise the GOP in it's current form.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Neither of us pegged you as a left wing lunatic.

I was told multiple times I was a racist and bigot and a Trump supporter because I refused to vote Hillary and instead voted Johnson.

Disagreeing with one party does not automatically mean you support the other team.
    Saturday fun fact: Contrary to political popular opinion, you can disagree with both parties while supporting individual politicians.

Trump and Hilary are both awful candidates who never deserved an American vote. At this juncture, DeSantis is one of the few politicians I do like. I don't agree with everything he says or does (shocker, I know), but I fully support him as my governor and is one of the better presidential candidates talked about. I guess that makes me a Trump supporting Nazi by default according to some.

6. Buck Turgidson

Quit bringing up Nazis, nobody else has you ridiculous German, living in Palm Beach for 2 weeks, and telling people how to think.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

"right wing moderates"... LOL. Name some "moderate" positions of desantis... I'll wait.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

DeSantis is a good old classic, freedom-loving, family-loving conservative. Unless one is a lunatic, big government - loving left-wing crazy like you. Then everyone else looks like a Nazi.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

If you think he compared YOU to Stalin, you should either lay off the booze late at night or work on your reading comprehension.

His point was that too many people support a candidate based on party affiliation, regardless how crazy that candidate is.

10. NewRoxFan

In other words, there is nothing moderate about him. He is trump-lite. Which is why he appeals to trump supporters.

11. NewRoxFan

Sure is funny... their positions are so extreme they have to keep bringing up Nazis to establish something that is even more extreme than themselves.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except that he isn't small government at all. He uses government to prevent private businesses from running their operations as they see fit. He prevents them from this. He uses government to not dissuade any form of criticism of his policies.

Not pro-freedom.

13. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember when you were considered conservative on here. Now you and people like MadMax are far leftist loonies!

14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

This is an interesting topic, and everyone’s own mileage will vary. For many, myself included, I will not support any Republican who has not consistently and unequivocally condemned Trump, trumpism, the Jan 6 insurrection, and the like. That is because Republican leadership remains beholden to Trump and trumpers, so there is zero trust in what a Republican candidate says … unless that person has consistently condemned the foregoing. That is a small universe - Cheney, Kenzinger and who else?

McCarthy? No
    McConnell? No
    Desantis? No
    The list goes on and on.

There is zero trust because each has gone performative politics that continue to woo Trumpers, each of them studiously avoid crossing Trump and Trumpers, each of them attempt to minimize the sh-T show that was the Trump administration and the insurrection. Thus there is zero trust that if elected, they won’t just be another Trump or worse (if that’s possible). It is that simple.

This is my personal view. You can call it tribalism if you want, but it isn’t blind or without basis. It’s a non negotiable issue.

15. Buck Turgidson

Man, I can handle being brought up alongside Hitler and Stalin, but @MadMax? I may need to reevaluate some things.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You completely avoided the question. I, too, am curious. What are DeSantis' moderate positions? I don't live in FLA so I don't see or hear the day-to-day of the state government. Just the far right wing crap like being so anti-cancel culture that you try to cancel the states largest employer because they disagreed with him...it's like the world's largest hissyfit. His face even looks perpetually like a 5 yr old breaking down in the grocery store because he couldn't get a candy.

VooDooPope and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

All of them.

Calling out Disney for their fake woke stuff and stopping some of their stupid privileges isn't "far right wing" at all.

The majority of people are sick and tired of this woke nonsense. The fact that people on the left think that blue collar folks aren't annoyed by or even actually care about this stuff, rather than having money in their pocket to provide for their family, enjoying watching and doing sports (in your and my case, for instance, soccer) and generally being left alone by government, rather than being subjected to endless restrictions and mandates - will lose the left more elections.

To people like DeSantis, who get that what people want is being able to provide for their family, being left alone and just living their lives. What the majority of people outside of some woke bubbles in the Brown Universities of the world don't really care about nearly as much as you lefties think, or even get sick and tired of?

Transgender activism, critical race theory, pronouns.

The left will lose many elections until they will finally understand what normal people really want, and that isn't the current wave of forced virtue signaling.

Equal rights for gay people and other minorities? Absolutely. Letting men win in women's swimming competitions, indoctrinating small children, etc.? Absolutely not.

#1397 AroundTheWorld, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The left has far more defined economic populist positions such as wealth taxes, free early childhood education, at the very least a public option for healthcare so on and so forth.

What was the woke stuff Disney was doing? Was it the grooming kids thing? What is that. Like Disney execs we're grooming kids to have sex with them? I'm just confused about what was the abomination that Disney was doing that made a aurhoartive government office needing to take action?

Btw you aren't a fascist. I thing a good analogy is that you are the human who got infected with an alien chest burster and the chest burster aliens is fascist. Your mindset in a collective manner is what creates the conditions for Nazis to rise to power during the Weimar Republic. They to had pretty much the exact same rhetoric regarding "leftists" especially Berlin leftists with the same claims about indoctrinating kids to be sex partners for gay people etc. Instead of "woke" it was cultural Marxism.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I would like to add something. The Left clearly has great historical accomplishments in fighting for equality. An argument can be made that they were "morally superior" for a long time to the Right. Worker's rights, equal pay, gay rights, race equality, etc.

However, they have reached a point where they became so desperate to look for more ways to prove their moral superiority to the Right that they started becoming ridiculous. Like wanting men to be treated as women just because the man says so. Etc.

And when the Left was anti-authorities 50 years ago, they are now more authoritarian than the Right. Case in point: Covid restrictions.

As strange as it sounds, the Right is in many ways now more pro-freedom than the Left. And that means freedom for the common man. It doesn't mean overprivileging very small groups of people (identity politics).

Does that mean that everything is ok on the Right? No - there are people like Trump who hijacked the Republican Party, there are crazies like Marjorie Taylor Greene, there are slimeballs like Cruz and Gaetz.

But people like DeSantis appeal to normal folks because he "gets it". Normal folks want freedom from government overreach into their everyday lives and family, economic prosperity, reward for working hard, etc.

DeSantis represents the American Dream. The Left currently overly focuses on identity politics. Normal people will not reward them for that when it comes to the ballots. They can see through some of the hysterical virtue signaling, and frankly, not many people will want to die on the hill of letting a dude beat women in swimming, or of crazy weirdo teachers indoctrinating their children with sexual stuff and identity politics crap.

That said, eventually DeSantis will need to distance himself from bad people like Trump and the crazies in his party. I can see why he wouldn't do that now. And it will be better for the country (and the world) that he builds up popularity and eventually prevents another run of Orange Man. Leftists hysterically demanding that he distances himself from Trump now want him to fail. Trump still has too much of a following. DeSantis is smart enough to play his cards right.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You see the cognitive dissonance here right? I'm pretty sure even you were willing to call Trump fascist like or at the very least responded positively to other people calling him fascist with likes.

And here you are stating that a fascist like person has a stranglehold on one of the two major parties in the United States to the point your favorite politician has to bend the knee to said fascist and....

You are confused what the left is freaked about this?

DeSantis being chummy with a fascist like person who has a stronghold on the party is a severe concern.

What does "pro-freedom" mean? The freedom to dictate lesson plans that state that teachers can't teach kids that LGBTQ people exist and they deserve empathy? That's what freedom is to you?

leroy and FranchiseBlade like this.