1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congratulations to Gov DeSantis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jul 31, 2021.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My "yep" in response to your congratulatory post wasn't enough for you?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No :cool:

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

4. Buck Turgidson

"I don't support Trump/DeSantis, I'm a Libertarian!"

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I support DeSantis. I don't support Trump. I'm a Libertarian/Conservative.

It is possible to be conservative, but to realize that Trump is a malignant narcissist and therefore unfit to lead, plus he incited violence on Jan. 6th.

Not everyone who is conservative is a fascist.

6. Buck Turgidson

You're a Trumpian Populist. It's cool, but just own it.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

see post above

Don't try to squeeze other people into your own prejudice.

Space Ghost likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

"I'm a Libertarian DeSantis Supporter" will take some serious mental gymnastics to reconcile. And if you're honest with yourself, there's no real difference between Trump's populism and that of DeSantis. One is slightly, slightly, more eloquent.

I'm only prejudiced against dumbassery, btw, and I'm not referring to you, in particular, when I say that.

VooDooPope likes this.
  9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Eh? there's a fair bit, at least if we include DeSantis' congressional career, maybe he's had a massive change, but he tended to be neo con on foreign policy and neo lib on the economy/trade, the opposite of Trump really (and I much much prefer Trump's position), the latter especially is where DeSantis wouldn't really be in the game in the rust belt without Trump's overt support.

They have overlap elsewhere, though DeSantis is far more effective at them, but those first few are the core of the populism brand.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Exactly.

And I prefer DeSantis' position and personality by far. He is pro trade, pro Israel, anti lockdown, pro science, anti isolationism (Trump is an isolationist and idiot), pro freedom, socially conservative (pro parental rights). He spoke up against Trump separating children from parents. He vetoed an anti-solar bill by his own party, to protect consumers and promote clean energy.

It's pathetic and embarrassing that @Buck Turgidson calls someone a Trumpist for liking DeSantis, even when I have been consistently highly critical of Trump for years on this forum.

I guess if you are really far left, you are anti freedom, and everyone to the right of Biden is automatically a Trumpist and a fascist.

The inability of the Left to disagree but at least respect traditionally conservative viewpoints, instead demonizing differing viewpoints, is part of what made Trump strong in the first place.

#1370 AroundTheWorld, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  11. Buck Turgidson

If you can't see that he (and Abbott in Texas) are courting the same base that supports Trump, using the same language and culture war topics, because that is how they believe GOP nominations are won....

I'm sorry, but it's just disgusting to me. I could give 2 sh&ts about Florida, but I do care about the US and Texas.

VooDooPope likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are simply so far left that you ignore what people say (I have called Trump a criminal and malignant narcissist many times on this board) and throw everyone to the right of you into the "Trumpist and fascist" pot. That's ignorant and intellectually lazy.

But you are clearly not alone with that attitude.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Courting conservatives and pulling them away from Trump is a good thing.

You can't just say that half of the population are deplorables. That already lost Hillary the election.

People are fed up with bs like critical race theory, forced gender ideology, cancel culture, etc.

You may disagree with them, but their disagreement with you doesn't make them Nazis.

Space Ghost likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Yes, I am so, so, crazy far left. It's crazy how far left my crazy left is.

I know you're German, but I haven't called you a fascist yet, have I? ;)

It's all good, we can be friends, I will just continue to vehemently disagree with you about the fitness of Ron DeSantis for national office.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, but Trumpist (when I stated many times that Trump is just a bad person). It's people like @fchowd0311 who have called me a fascist (and early stage Nazi) many times. You have never spoken up against that either.

16. Buck Turgidson

I stay out of religious discussions, other than to say they are all terrible.

There's several many people in the D/D that I don't call out and castigate, who annoy the hell out of me, on both sides of the aisle. There's just not much upside to it.

eta: I do have to ask: what is an "early stage nazi"...very light tan shirt?

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I have said it several times that many people are simply anti other party. If Stalin and Hitler were on the 2024 presidential ticket, the Debs, Bucks and Mojomans would be fighting each other why their candidate should win...based on 'the lesser of two evils'. The reality is there are liberals who would not hesitate to vote left wing radicals over right wing moderates like DeSantis and there are conservatives who would vote Trump over a moderate left leaning candidate like Biden.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

See, this could have been fun before you threw out the lameass "Stalin/Hitler" dumbassery that nobody said in the first place.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Good post. Shame @Buck Turgidson diesn't get it.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't know, you would have to ask @fchowd0311. I would search, but I'm on my phone, and I have put him on ignore.

Buck Turgidson likes this.