1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2023 Nets Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by engr chris, Apr 24, 2022.

1. xaos

xaos Member

You're one of my favorite posters, but I can't get behind that trade proposal for even a second. Simmons belongs nowhere near the Rockets

Salvy, RocketWalta, jiggyfly and 4 others like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rather trade Tate for Jalen Johnson.

Similar player but younger, cheaper, no injury concerns and has an actual 3ball.

Fulgore likes this.
  3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I understand why it's unpopular. I do ask everyone to look back in a year and see where he is. I will do the same. I was wrong on wanting him the first time over bottoming out. I was risk averse and didn't trust the Rockets to bottom out as well as they did. I feared the worst case scenario. I wanted Thybulle/Maxey/Simmons. I still think that's the better package but bottoming out and lucking into Jalen Green made the Nets trade the right one. I wouldn't trade Jalen for all three of those guys and the picks. Here, I'm more willing to risk Tate, Gordon, pick 17 and matching salary because we have the franchise guy and in this NBA you want to compete quickly or they will ask out. Tate/Gordon/Wood have 1 year of trade value, Rockets have to decide what to do with them now.

Nook and D-rock like this.
  4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i like the idea of packaging the 23 nets pick for something. it probably has the best value right now.

a healthy ben simmons solves a lot of their issues and i think the pendulum of hate probably swinging a little too far the other way. perfect time to sell.

5. TheBeastSystem

A 3-way deal sending Wood, Ego, Tate to the Nets, and Nwaba to the Lakers with the Nets sending the Lakers Simmons and us a second rounder and the Lakers sending the Nets a second and us Russ and 2 first rounders and a second rounder would be kinda nice.

peleincubus likes this.
  6. xaos

xaos Member

The appeal of Simmons is understandable because the description of his skillset sounds great: a 6'10" excellent playmaker who can defend multiple positions at an elite level.

However, Ben doesn't care about basketball. He knows that if he shares a few videos of him working on his jumpshot he'll fool someone into giving him more money. There's certain players who aren't good to have on your team and he's one of them. He also is very easy to scheme against in the playoffs and I don't think he'll ever overcome that. I don't even want Simmons as a player to flip later on. Just keep players who don't care about basketball off the Rockets. These are all just opinions and he could turn a switch on, but I'd bet money that switch only gets turned on when he's up for a new contract

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

scariest thing I’ve read this morning; with all do respect. It’s clear Simmons has confidence issues, perhaps some mental health issues, team commitment issues, and oh yeah, back issues. They should change the insignia on his jersey to one of those radiological warning signs. Let’s not dodge a bullet and then jump back in the line of fire. I’m gonna allow myself to believe that our front office sees Simmons as the negative asset he is (given he’s on a max deal).

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Russ instead of Simmons????

Insane.

9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Ben Simmons?

Tha Fuque?

He's a POS, doesn't play, can't shoot, has confidence issues, has a lingering back injury, and NO PROBLEM, we'll just pawn him off on dumb Houston?

Someone may need to let the NBA writers know that Bill O'Brien is not and has never been GM of the Houston Rockets. Geezus.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I don't think Simmons has any issues other than trying to recoup the money that Philly fined him, I think him sitting was all theater to strengthen his case......and will be fine by training camp.....

DD

jcmoon likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

His metal stability is way more concerning, and then add in he might actually have back problems?

On top of that, pay him max money?

I can't understand why anybody other than a team who is looking to make the leap to contender would gamble on Simmons.

I don't know how anybody can just ignore his head and his heart anymore.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

People can change.

peleincubus likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Then why hasn't he suited up for Nets who desperately needed help in postseason.

His multiple issues should be taken seriously.

14. thekad

thekad Member

I would probably do Gordon + Wood for Simmons with no picks. I think there’s limited downside on his contract; if he retires the cap hit goes away, no? I like the idea of capping Brooklyn’s long term upside.

And the roster is mismatched enough for Simmons to not disrupt the tank.

joshuaao likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How can the pendulum of hate swing to far?

Do you think all of his issues are going to magically disappear?

He just quit on another team and that team was fighting for its playoff life, if he actually has disk issues why would you want to pay that guy max money, we already know he is not going to push through.

Its amazing we still have Simmons apologist anymore.

I would not want him around young players if he was free, let alone at max money.

Da ****?

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

not sure how there isn't clearly a ton of downside for an incredibly flawed player on max salary for 3 more years

ElPigto and clutchdabear like this.
  17. xaos

xaos Member

2 frps, a second, and we buyout Russ is a good deal especially since those 2 frps on the Lakers could be lower than anything we'd get for Wood/Gordon in a 2022 or 2023 draft.

I don't want Rockets to just fall in love with accumulating 100 draft picks, but Stone at least showed he's willing to consolidate picks to move up (which I'd assume he'd consolidate for a player that makes sense)

18. thekad

thekad Member

He makes as much as Gordon/Wood next year. The last two years aren’t very limiting considering how much cap space the Rockets project to have and no one to spend it on other than Wood - which is a true nightmare.

And if he actually quits basketball, the cap hit goes away.

joshuaao likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'd rather not be locked into such player and have my options much more open than to be tied to max for multiple years

clutchdabear likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This would also help the Nets and hurt our picks from them.

mikenm268, clutchdabear and xaos like this.