1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jokic IS more skilled than Hakeem...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Jokic is amazing but Dream over Jokic even in the modern era of shooting bigs. Dream was a freaking monster on all facets of the game and most importantly he was the go to all game long. Dream was triple teamed every game except vs Seattle where he was guarded by everyone including George Karl and the beer vendor. Jokic might be double teamed half the game. Dream in a landside.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

The skills challenge would be playing basketball.

Hakeem not only the greater defender but he is just better at winning.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This.

I think I know where this is coming from but I’m just not going to go there. When you consider the fact that defensive skills are also premium skills and know that Dream is a superior offensive player, this is all ridiculous.

Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's not get caught up on semantics. My point is that while Hakeem didn't get a high number of assists relative to other passing big man like Jokic, he easily could have if the era demanded it from him.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So "who is more skilled at basketball" is just another way of saying "who is better at basketball"?

Question: Is Giannis a more skilled basketball player than James Harden, today?

6. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Jokic is another version of Tim Duncan with a little less defense and rebounding. It's not like Duncan has ever offered his services, that I'm aware of, post retirement.

7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

This was ridiculous when it was initially posted... Now its borderline trollish to defend...lol.. I will give credit tho that Jokic has been screwed the last 2 years with injuries to his "co-stars"... Hard to show greatness against great teams without help.

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Go look at the trash Dream played with from 87-92

Richie_Rich likes this.
  9. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Hakeem won DPOY twice right? OK just checking

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

And was robbed at least one other time.

Richie_Rich and wlekfjv923n like this.
  11. Bugattibillachick

Delete member ASAP

12. rimrocker

It was 1989/1990.

Dream: Led the NBA in Total RBs, RBs per game, Defensive RBs, Def RB %, Blocks, Blocks per game, Block %, Def win shares, DBox +/-, Defensive Rating, and was #10 in Steals per game and #7 in total steals. He led the NBA in every defensive category except steals but he was still Top 10. As a Center. It was one of the greatest defensive seasons ever but nobody cared because the Rockets weren't on TV that year. Plus, he averaged over 24 ppg that year.

Dennis Rodman was DPOY and Dream was 2nd team All-NBA behind Ewing--both of those terrible travesties. But Rodman! Man, he could guard all 5 positions and gave lots of effort--I saw it on TV when he dived for balls and all that awesome stuff. (He just never gave enough effort to develop any kind of offensive game.)

Dream also had a great argument for DPOY pretty much any season he played until his mid-30s.

Richie_Rich and Rashmon like this.
  13. edwardc

edwardc Member

There is no way i can see jokic being better than Dream if bigs were to stay in there lane like the bigs of dreams era jokic wouldn't even be a factor. I totally agree with you on the feast that dream would have with no hand checking he would average 40 plus a game MJ 50.

Richie_Rich and kjayp like this.
  14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i was going to dismiss this as millennial ignorance....
    I mean the yung'uns didnt get to see Dream actually play - so they may not have as deep a respect for the mans game...
    but then i thought... naw... even if you just watch youtube highlights, you should still be able to grasp the greatness that was Olajuwon....
    so no excuse - just ignorance and/or stupidity...

Have we seen Jokic just dismantle an MVP like Olajuwon did to Robinson?

<iframe src='' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' allowfullscreen width='640' height='404'></iframe><p> <a href="">via Gfycat</a></p>

Richie_Rich likes this.
  15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

It's not a real comparison now because Giannis is in the midst of an all-time great prime and James is about done.

But what I think James meant is that he isn't as physically gifted (Harden was never a top-tier NBA athlete despite being a good player.) as Giannis and had to really learn how to use everything he had to become a great player. Which is right & WRONG. James is right, Giannis is a superior athlete and James is a craftier ballplayer. But where Harden is DEAD WRONG is the inference that Giannis was born the way he is.

Giannis came into the league as a stick and through hard work changed his body. Giannis's transformation physically is nothing short of amazing. That's sheer work ethic and mental toughness. To imply that Giannis didn't have to work is just stupid. That man worked his tail off. Giannis has amazing talent, amazing physical gifts, and AMAZING WORK ETHIC. That's how you get an all-time great.

Richie_Rich and Williamson like this.
  16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think I disagree with any of that. But my question is who is the more skilled basketball player today. What is your answer to that?

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Giannis. James is done.

Richie_Rich and durvasa like this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A better question:
    Is Jokic more skilled than Shaq?

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

The title of this thread pissed me off so much that I've never even clicked on this topic until now. I was curious as to why this BS won't go away. It keeps popping up on the first page for almost 3 months.

I'm not even watching that video. I refuse to give it views. VORP, RAPTOR, and all these other newfangled statistical measurements should only be seen as a piece of the overall evaluation of a player's impact. One more source of data. This is getting out of hand. Fanboys are really out here online making arguments that Jokic is better than some of the most dominant centers of all time because of his PER and BPM.

Richie_Rich and Reeko like this.
  20. rimrocker

It is amazing. Some would say unnaturally so. Plus, he got taller.
    [​IMG]

TEXNIFICENT likes this.