1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaedon Sharpe declares for the NBA draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Apr 21, 2022.

1. wolstein

wolstein Member

He withdrew from this year's draft. It seems he may transfer to another European club.

roslolian, ApacheWarrior and saleem like this.
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

you and I agree on the value of those players and that they could be late risers, but I'm not sure they go top 6. maybe one of them? even so that would push other good players down to us. I'm ok wit that too.

consensus has Sharpe, griffin, Murray in the 5-7 range, if you want to add our favorite guys next then Sochan, Eason, and Daniels might be gone in the 5-10 range. we will be able to draft one of Duren, Mathurin, Davis, TyTy, Williams, Brahnam, Agbaji, Dieng, Jovic, Lidell. Fits or no fits I'd be really happy with the quality of pick if the first 5 or 6 guys on that list fall to us.

but again I think we have the trade chips possible to move up a few spots and guarantee we get one of those guys. NYK, CHA, and CLE are all in win now mode (for better or worse) and would likely take someone like tate with #17 to move up.

roslolian, ApacheWarrior and treyk3 like this.
  3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think one of them is more likely to go top 6 than either of them dropping to 17 is what I mean. They probably both go between 8-12 but I’m very high on them. I do like swinging for PBJ or Dieng if either are available. PBJ could be like Ziaire Williams last year with a bad year but a team takes him high anyways.

You have to just take Sharpe or Ivey at 5 unless AGJ or Sochan just blows you away and the others don’t. With Sharpe it’s a five man draft and I think Ivey or Jabari will drop to 5 after Sharpe blows away teams. He’s may end up going top 3.

#123 treyk3, Apr 24, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    Nook likes this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes after I posted my comment I googled it.

Injury plagued season.

Another example of injuries causing a player to fall in ranking.

But Sharpe not playing troubles me, not sure about picking him top 4
    Can't see how he handles adversity.....does he pout?.....does
    shun his teammates?.....does he go hero-ball?

I saw a scouting report on Patrick Baldwin claiming he was playing thru injuries.
    Which I suspected.......(but still hasn't been verified). He's too good a shooter.

Thank you for your time wolstein. It's effort like that which makes this site
    so good and well informed.

#124 ApacheWarrior, Apr 24, 2022
    wolstein and roslolian like this.
  5. saleem

saleem Member

Sharpe is a mystery, however it seems that he doesn't have a problem playing off ball, since he cuts to the basket for dunks and he can catch/ shoot 3's. I'm more concerned about his lack of ball handling and driving to the basket unlike Jalen Green. Sharpe has the physique and length to defend. His absence at Kentucky will make it harder for him develop as an NBA player. Are we looking at another Rashard Lewis?

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I really feel Portland is in "win now" mode.....or should be to please Dame.

Blazers might or could use a Tate, Wood, Eric Gordon Nwaba. Just my two cents.

#126 ApacheWarrior, Apr 24, 2022
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well it's the rule of prize fighting.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. We've seen what a
    lot of players do vs Highschool competition......will the wheels fall off his
    game if his team is down by 20?

Rockets might be in that situation a time or two this upcoming season

saleem likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh? Rashard is 6'10/6'11. Sharpe is lucky to be 6'5. He did all his damage vs high school comp that doesnt really mean anything. Look at Shabazz Muhammad vs high school comp he slso looked like 2nd coming of MJ.

I knew once he became a consensus no 4-5 pick Sharpe was gonna declare, nobody in their right mind will turn down guaranteed 15M or so over 3 yrs. Maybe he is a good talent, but given the gaps in the roster and the absolute logjam at the 2 I hope the Rox take on more proven and known commodities over him.

9. saleem

saleem Member

Rashard Lewis is much taller, but he never developed his game and mostly relied on his jump shot. I get that kind of feeling from watching Sharpe play in these highlights. They didn't play in college. I feel the Rockets should try and package the 5, 17, Tate or Martin and get to the 3 spot in our worst case scenario. Jabari, Chet, Banchero and Ivey are my top 4 choices.

BamBam and ApacheWarrior like this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The ping pong drawing hasn't taken place yet.....do you have a guy feeling
    that we will land at number 5?

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

@saleem

P J Hairston is a player that comes to mind that had all the tools to succeed
    at 6'6" and could play......but some up start highschool kid destroyed him in
    pickup games in front of a crowd and was never the same again.

Lasted two season in the league while looking good in highschool
    and college previously.

I never liked him but scout experts kept saying he was great.
    Not everyone is cut out for the NBA.

Edited: I see that highschool kid played for the RGV Vipers this past season
    in 7 games. Kentrell Barkley. Wow, that's crazy.

#131 ApacheWarrior, Apr 24, 2022
    saleem likes this.
  12. saleem

saleem Member

The only team that is likely to take a chance at Sharpe is OKC with the 4th pick. This will drop Ivey to us at 5. I like Ivey, but that's not good enough. Detroit is likely to look for a more mature player if they end up in the top 3. I don't see them going after Jabari. Orlando will probably select Jabari or Paolo. If Indiana gets the 4th pick, they might not go after Jabari, unless he really wows them.

#132 saleem, Apr 24, 2022
  13. 9baller

9baller Member

It is a very likely outcome (48% chance). I like what Clutch said, something like, "We have the 5 pick. We could get a better one, but we have the 5 pick."

ApacheWarrior and saleem like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Whoa, whoa, whoaaaa my friend.

A person could worry themselves sick overthinking this.

Raptors we're suppose to draft Suggs as Lowry was going to leave them.....and
    they picked Scottie Barnes. A guy that played 25 minutes a game and started
    only 7 with the Seminoles.

Chris Duarte was suppose to go in the early to mid 20's because
    of his age (24 y/o) and went #13 to Pacers.

Yeah I heard the 48% vs 52% last year and I said forget-about-it!!!!
    We ended #2......so you might be trading our hypothetical #5 pick
    to #3 which may already end up being #3 (not #5).

I guess you are covering all bases and options....but many of the top 5
    is subject to change. Hard to trade up with a team that may not be
    where we want them to be in the order.

But I like your passion.

Fullcourt and saleem like this.
  15. saleem

saleem Member

Trading up will be very hard. I hope one of the bigs will drop down. I'm not expecting it to happen. I would rather take Mathurin over Murray at 5, because I feel he still has some upside left, provided if he's 6'6 or 6'7. Let's hope for the best. I'll be satisfied with the 2nd pick. Stone should target Chet or Jabari there.

16. pmac

pmac Member

Always, always, always draft BPA this high up in the draft. You don't want to be the dummy that picks a Darko Milicic over Melo because you already have you're SF.

If the best guy is another guard so be it. Maybe he's the next Ja Morant that tears through the league, you never know.

That said, I do hope the rockets find ways of getting bigger forwards on the team. That may mean using some of this young talent in trades for picks or other bigger players with unrealized potential.

17. vator

vator Member

“Looked like the number 1 pick” That’s extremely high praise. Evaluations like this could potentially shake up the draft.

Nook, 9baller and Fullcourt like this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I accept our pick 1-5

If...
    #1 Jabari or Chet
    #2 Chet or Jabari
    #3 Ivey
    #4 Banchero
    #5 Keegan Murray or Mathurin

Jabari- a Derrick Coleman body eventually that you can't leave
    open anywhere on the court. Like Danny Manning, Granger, Chuck
    Person, Klay Thompson shooting. In college 6'8" guys couldn't block his shot....
    well I have him being guarded be 6'8" players in the NBA as well, as I have him as a SF initially.

Chet- a cheap Durant knockoff offensively and a cheap Gobert knockoff defensively.
    I fear he is one spin move off his defender from an ACL or Achilles rupture. I prefer
    the safe play of Jabari to reduce the risk.

Ivey- Ja Morant can get to the rim anytime he wants, ain't nobody stopping him
    One-on-One. Green-Ivey-Porter-Josh would destroy teams with relentlessly attacking
    the rim as facilitators slash cutters.

Bachero- I see as Carlos Boozer. Two time All Star, team USA member, solid
    consistent player that wishes he had Banchero range.

Mathurin- great athlete, with fluidity, high leaper, with a nice shooting touch.
    Regardless of being 6'7" or 6'5".......this guy can sky.

Keegan Murray- greater PER stat than Chet, Jabari, Banchero, AJ Griffin, Mathurin.
    6'8" bully baller in college as they forced him on defenders as mismatches but can
    shoot from distance with a hand in his face a-la-Sean Elliot, Rudy Gay (if Rudy could shoot 3's).
    As for moving up from #17, I'm hoping the Blazers stay at #6 and
    desperately need to make a splash to keep Damian happy. If they
    go to number 1, then that ship has sailed. We probably don't have
    what it takes to move into top 5.

#138 ApacheWarrior, Apr 24, 2022
    saleem likes this.
  19. saleem

saleem Member

The hype machine is in full force.

20. saleem

saleem Member

A great post, my friend. I do see Banchero as a less athletic Blake Griffin because of his passing ability. I think he could be the 3rd or 4th best player out of this draft class. Ivey might edge him out as a pro.