1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tournament Prospect Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Mar 17, 2022.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If I had a choice between the best versions of either Porzingis or Randle--both 100% healthy, regardless of who else is on the roster--I'd take Porzingis.

Reeko, xaos, clutchdabear and 3 others like this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Right, that’s not even a knock on Randle. He’s was awesome last year.
    But shot blocking bigs that can move and hit 3s are rare

Reeko, D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's been a while since we've seen Porzingis at his best so I can understand why some might scoff at the idea of picking a prospect that compares to him near the top of the draft. And the partnership between him and Luka not working also didn't make Porzingis look any better.

cmoak1982, xaos and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I actually take healthy Porzingas with elite defense over Randle.

But I agree, no one should be fighting for the actual broken down Porzingas or 1 All Star season Randle.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

A championship role player like a 7 foot Draymond type?

Yes.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Lately, every 7 footer has been a unicorn ever since last year until they're not

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

You believe Banchero will be more than 3rd option on Rockets?

A player who has proven success playing off ball and ultra efficient while doing so.

And Chet is capable of being more than just an off ball player as well. Gonzaga just scratched the surface of his potential.

And of course I'll never stop talking about defense.

Banchero will never be the defender of Chet's caliber.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you think all of these guys are gonna be role players?

Do you really think Holmgren is a 7 foot Draymond?

Really?

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

But Porzingus never had elite defense, so why even put that in there.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

well Draymond has been all-nba, all-def, dpoy. Some of the highest accolades a player can get. That's not a role player with accolades like that

cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yes, but who would you choose between Prozingis and Lebron? Decisions, decisions….

cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I can see that but would you draft either of those guys at the top of this draft?

What is the best version of Porzingus?

Is that a guy you win with?

Had to look at Porzingus stats and he has put up numbers but did that equate to wins?

I'm surprised people would be happy to get a Porzingus type at the top of this draft, I know its more likley that many of these guys have about the same career.

If that's all we are shooting for, why is Banchero getting downgraded so much. Not saying you are doing it, but it's a thing.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Exactly.

Chet is Porzingas like on offense but with elite defense.

None of these comps are exact.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Believe me if I had a guarantee that any of these guys were going to be Draymond I would probably draft them but Draymond is Draymond because of the team around him and being in the perfect situation.

Draymond going to other situations would just be a journeyman.

We have a mini Draymond now in Tate, and we see how that worked for us.

Draymond is definitely a role player he just played his role at a high level and the team success got him a lot of those awards.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like Banchero, just not as much as I like Chet or Jabari.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's just a pure assumption. Draymond would still be an elite defensive player. He's a huge reason why the league as transitioned to small ball.

The fact that nobody will ever know merely leaves it at a guess.

So no DG is not a role player. He's a leader and He's absolutely a star for GS and they wouldn't win with out him. Role players don't accomplish resumes like this guy has.

Folks need to stop using alternate scenarios and alternate realities to diminish what is actually happening in reality. What is actually happening in reality is what really matters

#2836 YOLO, Apr 22, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think Chet can be better defender than Draymond.

Even Draymond has said that Mobley will be All Defense next season, see same upside for Chet.

But Chet is more advanced offensively.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes I believe Banchero will be more than a 3rd option on any team, I really can't believe you think differently

I am not drafting a guy in the top 5 because he can play off the ball can he be succesful being the focal point of the offense is what I am looking at.

You keep talking about defense when the only proven thing he does on defense is shotblocking and we both know that does not mean a player is great at defense just look at D Jordon, Gobbert or Drummond.

I think Chet is capable of more, I just don't know if he can reach his full potential with his size.

I keep will keep saying this rim protection is a luxury, a lot of teams don't have a great rim protector and win at a high rate.

I don't know why you keep acting like shot blocking means you are great defensively, you know it's more than that.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s the disconnect. Paolo isn’t a first option on a single team in the league outside of maybe Orlando.
    So that takes away his only strengths.
    And if you would take some time to watch and read you would know Chet is a lot more than just a shot blocker.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WOW.

Chet will not be able to guard 1 to 3 on the perimeter like Draymond, you sure are putting a lot of stock in rim protecting when the guy is not even going to be asked to play C or protect the rim.

No Worries likes this.