1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaedon Sharpe declares for the NBA draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Apr 21, 2022.

1. xaos

xaos Member

It's easy to flip flop on Sharpe :D

2. Nook

Nook Member

Not a lot of information out there from actual scouts. I have heard mostly positive things about his POTENTIAL as a playmaker.... he is extremely creative and deadly one on one, and he makes some very strong passes as well, but it is such limited exposure it is hard to know. As far as being off ball, he moves some but doesn't appear to be special other than having a solid mid range shot...... there is a good chance that where ever he goes, he will be a combo guard or a guy that breaks people off the dribble.

From what I have seen I don't think long term he is a poor fit with Green.... but again, we are dealing with limited tape, most of it over a year ago... he moved to the USA to face better competition and then COVID hit and he didn't play this season.... and he should be a high school senior as he is still 18 years old.

All the of the skills to be a top level creator are there...... but is he more Larry Hughes, Deshawn Stevenson or is he more Bradley Beal or even Harden.... all those guys at 18-19 years old had the ability to be a top player, and some did and some didn't.

3. xaos

xaos Member

Thanks Nook

saleem and Nook like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Heem tine 2 shine.

ThatBoyNick and conquistador#11 like this.
  5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And pushes another player down to #17 if we don’t.

Believe It!, saleem, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  6. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

This is massive for us if we fall to 5. Not just cause he'd be a decent pick for us but there's potential that one of the first 4 teams could fall in love with his potential in workouts and one of the real top 4 could slide. We're kinda set no matter what happens now. That late season tank was well worth it.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah, this and the fact that the more top players that declare the better chance we have of somebody worthwhile slipping to 17. I'm not sure why Verbal Christ seems to think this is only good news if the Rockets want to draft him. It's good news regardless.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Stephen Silas on hearing that the NFL was paying coaches big bonuses to lose games......

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

Unbelievably corrupt. . . And I like it. I need to become an NFL head coach. I know how to call a play to run a Hail Mary (would be my go to) and I'll do it for half the pay.

Nook likes this.
  10. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Feel like something weird is going on with his eligibility. Reports from November 2021 indicate he was planning graduating early, but now the word is he actually graduated earlier May 2021? I think thats a can of worms UK doesn't want to deal with.

Anyway, he's a very talented scorer at all 3 levels. Spaces the floor with range and vertically as a lob threat. Has the tools and athleticism to be a monster on defense. The tape is eye popping, but I also see bad decision making. Frequently bails out the defense by settling. Too often he doesn't attack inferior defenders on switches and defaults to a stepback 3..its like he's looking for the most difficult shots on purpose. I'm not expecting super advanced IQ and processing out of a highschooler, but its like I'm watching a dude play 2K in real life sometimes. It's almost 2019 Harden-esque how inflexible he is with his shot choice.

I'll still give him a close look at #4/5. The tools and natural talent are obvious. Hopefully the mental side gets coached up, or he flips a switch when things are "real" in the NBA. I'm just wondering why this #1 recruit and supreme athlete isn't creating easy advantage looks for himself.

fattz, Shark44, saleem and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Yup.... he is going to be very polarizing.

However it is possible that if he clearly has "it" he even goes higher than 5.

Teams like OKC, SA , DET won't have any issue pulling the trigger and taking him if they like his workouts. It is going to take a team with a confident front office to take him.

JusBleezy likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Hasn't been a top prospect for very long, played the game in Canada....then came over to the USA and looked really good in some of the camps.... then COVID hit.... almost all of the video of him was when he was 16-17 years old.... getting used to living in a new country, new school, and his body has been rapidly changing between like 14-15 to 16-17.

I have some concerns over his shot selection and he can shy away from contact.... reminds me negatively of Tracy McGrady is that way. Also, from the practice tapes I have seen, he doesn't seem super focused but it is really a stretch to take much from that.

He came to UK early, and Calipari is pretty honest about his players - he said he thought this kid would be the favorite to go #1 in 2023....

FWIW he said the player that he has competed against that is the "best player" is Ty Ty Washington. They competed in high school and then in practice this season.... I am trying to get the HS tape against Washington to get an idea of how good he is..... someone with NBA connections needs to get the scoop from the KU assistants, they know how good Sharpe is. Did he outplay Ty Ty in practice?

JusBleezy, Nelly, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  13. conquistador#11

He has a wingspan of 7'0 ft compared to Tate's 6'8? I've read enough play him at PF!

JusBleezy and mikenm268 like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

def can see OKC doing it…people were surprised that they took Giddey at 6 last draft…Weaver in Detroit has some precedent as well advocating for drafting Westbrook

with us, I’m not comfortable with him atm…if we’re taking a guard, he’s gotta be a legit option to be our PG for the future and be a tier above the likes of Chet…someone who can effectively run a team even if they’re strongest attribute is scoring

Could Sharpe be that?

if we’re picking 4th or something, I’d take him over Paolo depending on how he looks and what we learn about him during the pre-draft process, and the Ivey vs Sharpe debates could get interesting

Nook likes this.
  15. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Yeah, good points. If I remember correctly, he's a bit of a late bloomer and he rose up the rankings later in HS? Tracks with what you said about adjustment and age. It feels a little similar to (this going to sound really corny) a new superhero discovering/trying out their powers.

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jalen Green gave this guy a platform. Everyone wants the next Jalen Green.

17. H. Christopher

Rafita Stone is a genius

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Except when he signs his b*stard son Anthony Lamb. ;)

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I'm perfectly happy and content deferring to Rafael Stone and the magic he produced last draft. If Sharpe ends up here because Stone saw something special during workouts Im on board. Same with anybody with that first pick Ivey included. Stone has earned my confidence.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Tracy McGrady was the same way. He came out of no where and in a week went from a borderline college player to the top player in his class and dominating in the camps.

18pbr, Nelly, jiggyfly and 1 other person like this.