1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your ideal draft night....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Apr 19, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

#1 - Draft Chet Holmgren
    #17 - Draft Tari Eason/Trade #17 + EGo for Jalen Johnson

*Trade Wood + Tate for Myles Turner + SRP

OR

#3 - Draft Jabari Smith Jr.
    #17 - Draft Mark Williams or trade down draft Walker Kessler

*Trade EGo + Tate + 2024 FRP (unprotected) for Jalen Johnson + 2023 FRP (lottery Protected)

luckyman76, vator, Denovo and 4 others like this.
  2. Milos

Milos Member

I want to raid the SEC 1st Team:
    First Bari
    Then Tari
    Last Kessler

Then I want to target 2 key vet additions:

PG - strong on-ball defender and hits open 3s
    C - long rim protector and hits open 3s

Targets:

PIPDREAMs
    PG - Dejounte Murray
    C - Jonathan Isaac

REALISTICs
    PG - Marcus Smart
    C - Myles Turner

PLAN Bs
    PG - Ricky Rubio
    C - Mo Bamba

LATE ROOKs
    PG - Trevor Keels
    C - Austin Kessler

D-rock likes this.
  3. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

You play a lot of 2K, huh?

groovemachine likes this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

Put on your I survived Sex with Amber Heard Sweatshirt and Hoodie, kick back, and let come what may. But we'll be out 10 million before the night is over.

RocketWalta and D-rock like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Chet and Dyson Daniels.

I think Daniels can be really good, and allow us to go with a three guard lineup for parts of the game. I think he's defense will end up being pretty good. Here him with a defensive big like Chet, and I think this team has some good switch ability and the ability to defend and score at will.

D-rock likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you ship out sengun, 17.pick and another nets pick to move into top 3 then you draft jabari and chet

Corrosion and groovemachine like this.
  7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

This has been my dream for months!

But my hot take is that Mark Williams will be drafted in the lotto - ahead of Duren (and he should be, because his game is better suited to the NBA).

Astrodome, Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Shhhhhhhhhhh

9. PatBev

PatBev Member

Draft or trade up for jabari or Chet. If we don’t come out the draft with either I’ll be pretty disappointed in Stones aggressiveness. I already like Stone more than I ever did Morey

Draft another 6’7+ wing with the Nets pick to compete with kJ for the starting job

I think our forward situation is the most obvious problem on the team. I’m cool with letting our guards ride it out one more year but we’ve been chasing a real power forward it seems like a decade

Y2JT, randerson and hakeem94 like this.
  10. houston19519

houston19519 Member

If the Rockets land Paulo do you still think you’ll be disappointed? I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with either of the top 4 prospects.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I think we can pull off a series of moves to move up into the draft and target a pick in the 5-7 range.

1) 3 team deal - Cavs get #17 and tate, NYK gets #14 and MIL 23 pick, HOU gets #11

3) #11 and wood, for #5-7 whoever bites

target Murray, Sharpe, griffin, mathurin, or Sochan, depending on who we draft first. I would love jabari/banchero with Griffin or chet and Sharpe. ivey with Sochan.

another way of going about it...

1) 3 team deal - CHA gets wood, NYK gets #13 and tate, HOU gets #11 and Oubre

2) #11, #17, MIL '23 pick for #5-7 whoever bites.

I understand a lot of this seems like an overpay, but it illustrates that they should be realistic opportunities there. and I'm also willing to overpay a bit to consolidate assets into fewer more valuable assets.

luckyman76, Milos and Corrosion like this.
  12. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Haven't decided on particular players yet, but Stone moves EG or Wood +17 in a package for a 2nd top 10 pick. With the youth and inexperience on full display, the team lands another top 10 pick next year before landing a marquee FA and competing for the playoffs in 2024. 4 top ten picks, Sengun, JC, +vet FA or two will have us back on the map after a 3 year rebuild. :D

randerson, Corrosion and hakeem94 like this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Banchero + any one of Sochan/Eason/Brown/Dieng/Liddell or PBJ (without convoluting things with trade scenarios)

groovemachine and Corrosion like this.
  14. Landry's Tooth

It's not the talent, it's the skill set. Janari, Ivey, and Chet all play defense and Paulo doesn't.

We have a mediocre offense and are dead last in defense. Quickest way to improve is on the defensive side.

D-rock, Corrosion and steddinotayto like this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I agree. I'm sure Banchero will be a very good player in the NBA--perhaps even an All-Star--but the way this team is constructed we need to address the defense deficiency first. Having two core players (Green and Banchero) with bad defense is not going to make it an easy rebuild...and this isn't including my favorite guy (Sengun) as a core player which would make three below average to average defenders.

Richie_Rich, Y2JT, Milos and 2 others like this.
  16. houston19519

houston19519 Member

I see your point, I was more referring to Paulo. I think adding Paulo wouldn’t be and disappointment.

The only true building block in my opinion is Green. I would guess the front office would do the same as they did last year and draft “there” best player available rather then fit. So I think Paulo will definitely be in play, specially if they think he has the highest upside. So I lean more towards drafting the BPA overall and worry about fit afterwards. So any of the 4 top prospects would be great additions.

#56 houston19519, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    groovemachine likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Two things -

On Green, I think eventually he becomes a plus defender. He's so quick & rangy, it won't be too long before he figures it out. He's not there yet but I think we all expected this team to be terribly bad defensively with 4 rookies getting extended minutes. He and the team improved significantly over the course of the season.

On Sengun, I can't see him surviving long term in the league as a 5 mainly because he can't defend the position, NBA "Big Men" feast on his lack of size. He's gonna have to play the 4 spot, at least defensively .... Ideally he improves his 3 ball and plays as a forward & you have a bigger, more athletic 5 defending the post / rim.

Milos and steddinotayto like this.
  18. Landry's Tooth

Fair point on Sengun but i think the huge 5 like a Shaq or Jokic are more the exception now. Most centers tend to be rim runners and pick/roll guys like Capela, Allen, Robinson, Carter, etc.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Those are fair points. I don't expect or hope that Green stays the way he is as a defender but I don't see him being any more than an average defender moving forward. That's not a dig on Jalen; just looking at how other players within his comparisons (the Lavines, the Beals, the Bookers, the Anthony Edwards, etc.) have fared after their respective rookie seasons. Even if Green becomes that average defender in the backcourt you still need defenders up front and both Jabari and Chet are already better defenders than Paolo.

Sengun..just like @Landry's Tooth said...the NBA today don't have giants roaming in the paint like days of yore. My expectation isn't for Sengun to clamp down Embiid or KAT because that's kind of unrealistic. Sengun is a very smart player and, yes, his height could be a detriment but he's close in size to a Sabonis and he's what I would consider an average defender. If Sengun can just be "average" on defense that's huge for his career moving forward.

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Ideal draft would be
    No.1 Pick traded for No.2 and 2 future FRPs.
    No. 2 Draft Chet (or Jabari if Chet is gone).
    Murray gets selected by another team prior to Paolo for comedic effect.
    Rockets use a future FRP(s) to trade up and get either Griffin, Mathurin, Sochan, Daniels, or Eason.
    A late FRP is traded for a future SRP or cash to another team to see the Tilman is cheap/Stone incompetent meltdown on this board.

I'd much rather have Sengun give up size at the 5 than have to guard more mobile 4s.

luckyman76 likes this.