1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WC First Round] (2)Memphis vs. (7)Minnesota

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 15, 2022.

?

(2)Memphis Grizzlies vs. (7)Minnesota Timberwolves

Poll closed Apr 18, 2022.
  1. Grizzlies in 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Grizzlies in 5

20.8%
  3. Grizzlies in 6

33.3%
  4. Grizzlies in 7

16.7%
  5. Wolves in 7

4.2%
  6. Wolves in 6

16.7%
  7. Wolves in 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Wolves in 4

8.3%
  1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nah, just that Dillion Brooks is no Murray who was out for Denver all year or Klay/Green/Curry who was out for GSW which one of them was out for the year for GSW.

I just don't think Memphis, where they are at right now, are a legit contender. Which is fine, they are a young team with a young core. I also do not think that they are really that far above where the Twolves are or Utah or Dallas, teams that are a move or two away from being legit contenders.

Nuggets, Suns, Warriors are the legit contenders...Denver not this year because of their injuries and who knows how Murray will return from his but yeah I put Memphis in that 2nd tier of teams that still need to make a move or two to take the next step.

2. what

what Member

The point was that Dillion Brooks was the grizzlies second best player last year, and Ja missed more games than Curry did.
    The grizzlies went 20 and 2 with both of their best players from last year out.
    So no, I don't think you can use the idea that other teams weren't healthy as a reason why the grizzlies got their bogus number #2 seed.

Again the Grizzlies could get swept in this series or beat, it is entirely possible, but not because their record was padded because everyone else had a disadvantage.

The warriors, regardless of what happens, are winding down. I don't see them winning another championship.
    The clippers are the same but even worse, since Kawhi Leonard is a head case.
    The Lakers are a lottery team from here on out.

The suns will go as far as Chris Paul will take them which he could get injured at any point in time, but of course they have a lot of talent on their team.
    Denver has not shown the ability to be healthy, if they get healthy at some point, then they have a very small window to perhaps make a run.
    I think that Utah is the dark horse this year, but if they don't win they will likely blow it up next year.
    Of the young teams, Minnesota has the best shot to make a leap as contenders but the fact of the matter is is they're playing catch-up with the Grizzlies who have more talent and who already have proven that they can win in the league.
    The future for the Grizzlies is extremely bright, like I said I expect them to win at least two championships with Ja. No matter what else they do.
    Let's just see where this goes.

jiggyfly and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

saw that players went 14-17 against Stephen Adams as the primary defender in game 1…well damn

lumbering bigs just become instant liabilities once the playoffs start

4. what

what Member

That may be true but the Grizzlies are not going to go away from Steven Adams he is a big part of what they do.
    At least I don't believe so anyways.
    But yeah Minnesota got physical with the Grizzlies and kind of punked them.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

he might be getting just 15 minutes a game by game 3 if it continues

not only was he getting cooked defensively, he also only grabbed 3 boards…he basically provided negative value in game 1

it was only 1 game tho, so we’ll see what happens game 2

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. what

what Member

Yeah, I just think the whole matchup putting someone in the pick n roll is overblown.
    Edwards is a number 1 pick, so yeah he is hard to stop, but the grizzlies will adjust.

Without adams they have no rebounding which is a huge part of the grizzlies game.

It is just game 1. My biggest thing is that I think the Timberwolves just manhandled the grizzlies, throwing them around.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. i3artow i3aller

#107 i3artow i3aller, Apr 18, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

it wasn’t just Edwards…he can’t guard Towns either

they have no rebounding, but he only grabbed 3 boards himself in game 1

all I’m saying is that Adams can be a real liability in a playoff series, and he’s gonna have to step up in a major way

9. what

what Member

The grizzlies were the number 1 rebounding team in the league this year and Adams set the franchise record for rebounds this year.

Also Adams is a crucial screener for the grizzlies guards.

So yeah while Adams had a bad game, the grizzlies are not just going change their entire identity just because of one game.

No more than Minnesota would have changed KATs role on the team after his terrible game against the Clippers.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m well aware of what he did in the regular season…the playoffs are a different thing entirely

starters can be out of the rotation entirely in a playoff series

my argument was never that they would change things after 1 game

KAT was in foul trouble and just had a bad game offensively in what was a play-in game against a different opponent…that’s totally different than allowing 14-17 shooting or being in a 7 game series, so that’s not a good example

11. i3artow i3aller

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Member
    Supporting Member

Remember when he was saying things in pre-draft interviews that made people question his commitment/love for the game?

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. PatBev

PatBev Member

I really only see Ja in highlights but is he a poor 3 shooter? Is that why he avg. the most in the paint?

14. PatBev

PatBev Member

Ant might be one of the most likable athletes I’ve ever seen. Dudes post game interviews honestly make me laugh

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  15. jayfree

jayfree Member

Gotta love USHER and STEVE HARVEY going at it ;)

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jackson Jr sucks off the dribble…he really needs to stop it

stick to spot up threes and assisted twos

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

How does Hawks-Heat get the TNT game and not Grizz-Wolves?

NBA stays disrespecting young small market teams

i3artow i3aller and Rocket River like this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing Memphis lost out as a Central Time Zone game sandwiched between an East Coast game and a West Coast game

Reeko likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

@what Grizzlies already transitioning away from Adams…he’s not even starting the 2nd half because he’s a liability

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. what

what Member

I am surprised!!!!
    You were right.