1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen & Chet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownfan_9210, Apr 15, 2022.

1. studogg

studogg Member

totally agreed. And if you believe in his trajectory- you take him. I’m not here to bash on any of these guys. Excited the rockets are going to be able to add another high upside talent.

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Here you go!

Looks pretty similar to me. Both over 7ft tall, both could put the ball on the floor, both could blocked shots and move their feet well on defense, and both could hit the 3....what's the difference?

Highlights Montage from 2018-19 NCAA Season! Ready for NBA!" on YouTube

Watch "Chet Holmgren Official Freshman Year Highlights | 2021-22" on YouTube

3. pmac

pmac Member

No one had a clue Giannis would put on 45 lbs of lean muscle mass and become one of the most unstoppable players of his generation. He was far from a sure thing that's why he went 15th.

It's easy to say in hindsight that people who didn't draft him are idiots but there are a ton of lanky guys that never make it.

The key thing is that these guys like Chet are high risk high reward. That has to play into decision making particularly if the organization thinks there are players with similar ceilings but higher floors.

JusBleezy and mikenm268 like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

difference is we have a larger sample size to evaluate Chet (31 games plus NCAA tourney) than we did with Bol Bol (9 games at Oregon). Chet also moves a lot better and quicker than Bol Bol and has better footwork. There’s enough difference between the two as prospects coming out of college that is putting Holmgren in top 3 tier.

JusBleezy, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s the beauty of Chet, his floor is high as a 3&D player.
    There isn’t anyone except maybe Jabari with his upside. That’s the reason those two are pretty unanimous top 2

BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

they don’t make it because they have no skill and were never good to begin with

Mobley was talked about as being a 2 years away from being 2 years away type of player on here at times because of his small shoulders, high ass, skeleton build etc

now it’s Chet’s turn

Roc Paint, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. pmac

pmac Member

I would agree on the 3 and shooting in general. The real risk with Chet is if his defense will translate. If his lack of strength/weight reduces his ability to defend inside his floor is really low.

I think he can be great but some people talk about him like he's a sure thing. And to be fair I was thinking of this as if we got the #1 pick and had the option of picking Jabari. But, we may be picking at a position where we should be happy that Chet falls to us.

JusBleezy and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No Chet isn’t as good offensively.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

Chet has low ass.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Interesting to see what he turns into

raining threes likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s fair.
    I don’t think he will have a problem defending inside personally. He has toughness and some dog in him. Very quick hip flip and quick sliding his feet. Along with elite hand quickness with both hands.
    Weak side, perimeter and drop defense will be elite. Post defense against jumbos? He might get bodied some, but he will catch his fair share too imo

D-rock, pmac, Boii and 1 other person like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

oh well…my post isn’t concerned with whether or not he’ll be a dominant scorer

skinny weak Mobley put up 15 ppg as a rookie…Chet can do the same, and unlike Mobley, he is a legit shooter as well

Chet also has the best defensive potential by far

13. Milos

Milos Member

Be sorry
    For Bari
    And Tari

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  14. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Welcome to the Gun Show, Houston.

15. conquistador#11

More body comps since y'all like that.
    Kareem Abdul was 215 lbs when he left UCLA at TWENTY TWO years old. He played at 225 for most of his career. And I've done 'my own research' on this: Steve Rogers 5'4, 95 lbs pre supplements, 6'0/240 lbs after supplements and over training

[​IMG] .

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

I like Holmgren, but I fear NBA bigs will use him like a patrol sock.

groovemachine likes this.
  17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

He literally could not bench 165 lbs one single time when he was drafted.

cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What's weird to me about the conversation about Chet is that people are treating it like it's absolutely set in stone that he will play center. Chet is mobile, quick and agile enough to play the 4. The kid crossed over Steph Curry when he was 16 years old and already 7 feet tall. Hell, I'm not even sure he couldn't play the 3 some. So why are we talking about how he's going to match up with Jokic and Embiid when he might be the help defender on them rather than the primary defender? You guys have been whining about our size for forever and aren't amped on a guy with his length that can play multiple positions?

19. BigM

BigM Member

The NBA’s drug testing is comical. Just get Chet on the gear like Giannis and he’ll be a hall of famer. Either way, the upside is too good to pass up if he’s there when we pick.

cmoak1982, D-rock and Reeko like this.
  20. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

the trend seems like every year or 2 there'll be a 7ft+ highly skilled "unicorn" coming out of the draft, unicorn will soon to be flooded all over the league

D-rock likes this.