1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] After 62 losses, Rockets season was one big win

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 11, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A superstar can only extend once.... requires certain rule changes.

Big teams are going to be real mad.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Make it to where a player has to leave a team after a certain amount of time? lol whut?

BigggReddd likes this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think @heypartner suggested a system that would rotate the draft order regardless of regular season records. It's not without problem. (For one, the cycle takes 30 years to complete. It probably wouldn't matter for teams like the Knicks and the Kings who suck for decades anyway. :D) But I like the idea of not rewarding intentional losing.

I think it is a legit rebuilding process when a team gets rid of most of its talents and start over. So giving them high pick is the right thing to do. But I do have a problem with teams intentionally sit healthy good players in order to lose. I know it is not easy to distinguish the two kinds of losing. If there is a way to punish the second kind, I am for it.

ico4498 likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/...g-good-bye-to-the-lottery-hello-to-the-wheel/

Here' an article about the wheel proposed nearly a decade ago.

Clutch, Easy and dmoneybangbang like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hey, it is not a bad system but you have to preserve the notion that winning is important.

That is why the lottery was revamped and teams with a better lottery records are getting better odds.

The result turned out to be positive but the whole season as a whole was catastrophic sans some good performances by the rookies.

Leveling the playing field of the big and small markets is one way to create more balance.

Changing free agency would be another way to better the status quo, give smaller markets an advantage.

Of course these ideas are rudimentary but you can't have teams like the Lakers dictating free agency for decades.

It also made the Lakers give up some of their biggest assets such as Ingram.....

#65 daywalker02, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    Easy and peleincubus like this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Good season after a pretty concerning start: the offense looked a lot better with all the screens being set with Wood being out and 3 out 4 rookies ended the season very positively. Jalen Green showing why he was a top pick is very comforting after a rocky start, but he adapted and worked hard on his game.

I think we setup ourselves up nicely in the offseason but will need the draft gods to bless us. We can create a package centered around the BKN pick + Wood/EG/Tate to move up in the draft or create a package to nab someone if the opportunity arises. We can also clear cap space and do all kinds of things involving flexibility as we rebuild.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I wouldn't characterize it as a big win. More, a necessary step.

Maybe many of you are sure what we got in Green. Me, still waiting. Seen too many guys look good for 1/3 of a season and nobody has heard of them a few years later.

Optimistic? Certainly. Sure? No.

As far as 2023 goes. I don't expect much more than a couple moves to balance the roster (I hope) and a clearer idea who are keepers.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

And something needs to be done about players forcing their way out long before their contract is up.

Mr.Scary and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Who are these guys who averaged 20 ppg over 34 games to end their rookie season with a TS% of 59% and disappeared?

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Francis would still be in Vancouver. :D

BTW I would be all for revolutionary ideas like cutting the season in half and a new Cup with invites for Real Madrid, Besiktas....

If it doesn't work out, innovation will take care of itself in other areas hopefully.

The last Lockout had NBA players playing in Europe and China.

Why not creating a Loan system therefore further nurturing globalism ....

#70 daywalker02, Apr 13, 2022
    Easy likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I couldn't search by TS%, but for Points Per Game >= 20 and 3-Pt Field Goal Pct >= .35:

Larry Bird
    Allen Iverson
    Glenn Robinson
    Trae Young
    Stephen Curry
    Shareef Abdur-Rahim
    Antoine Walker
    Calvin Natt
    Derrick Coleman
    Jalen Green
    Damon Stoudamire

Oddly, Natt is the only one new name for me, but he only had 5 3PAs. He is a one time all-star and did get some MVP votes.

BigggReddd and theDude like this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not my idea.

My idea was turning it into an auction v lottery. You still get ranked by record, and that gives you advantage of more money to bid on draft position, but team’s below the cap can also use capspace in their bid. Dutch blind auction. Positions go to highest sealed bid.

Most ppl say an auction is too complicated to understand. But anyhoot, it was my attempt to reward fiscally responsible teams in more than just free agency, while also rewarding bad records, and taking luck completely out of play. Since free agency is dictated by players, this gives capspace an additional valuable use by allowing it to be used to jump spots in the draft.

so the lottery show is replaced by opening the sealed bids.

#72 heypartner, Apr 13, 2022
    Easy likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My senile memories got mixed up. Now I remember your auction idea. Yeah, it's a bit too complicated. But maybe complicated is good. It rewards smart managements. Like the CPA cappology, most fans don't fully understand it and fan board like CF is a fantastic place to get explanations about those things. :)

So the wheel thing is somebody else's idea.

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon, nicknamed "the Dream", is a Nigerian-American former professional basketball player. From 1984 to 2002, he played the center position in the National Basketball Association for the Houston Rockets and eventually the Toronto Raptors.Wikipedia
    Height: 7′ 0″
    Wingspan: 7′ 6″
    Weight: 256 lbs

At 7-foot tall with a 7-foot-6 wingspan, Chet Holmgren is a playmaker on both ends of the floor. He's comfortable with the ball in his hands, is a reliable shooter, and can score on all levels. On the defensive end, Holmgren greatly affects the game as a rim protector. He will need to add weight to maximize his potential, as he is rail-thin, but he is one of the most unique prospects we've ever seen nonetheless

wingspan is to great to ignore he may be worth the pick on defense alone-

don grahamleone and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

It’s crazy how much talent we have added since last year. Green looks like a budding superstar. Sengun looks like a steal and has elite passing and post moves. Christopher was a hidden gem, his work and improvement on shooting and shot selection was impressive. He has potential to be a future star. Garuba looks like a great hustle defender and a surprisingly good passer in limited action. Add KPJ and KM Jr and we have an incredible amount of young talent. Now with some enormous expiring contracts in Wall and Gordon, plus the potential to trade Wood and (maybe?) Tate we have a great chance to have a very different team by the end of next season setting us up for a rapid rebuild. I’m really excited to see what we do with all of these veteran players on the trade market paired with our boatload of picks and then on top of that we have a top 5 pick in a good draft! Fun and exciting time to be a Rockets fan!!!

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Houston is on the verge of becoming a true dynasty

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

we are going to be the next version of the young okc thunder with one more great draft pick next year!!!! woo hoo! imagine how screwed we'd be if harden or oladipo signed those extension. its funny how things work.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  18. xaos

xaos Member

Upcoming season is the last year we have full rights to our pick. I'd imagine Wood and Gordon are gone for youth/picks and we have one more bottom seed season.

groovemachine likes this.
  19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[ClutchFans] After 62 losses, Rockets season was one big win

[​IMG]

I agree with @Clutch that there are legitimate reasons to be optimistic, but I totally disagree that the season was one big win! Either you're a winner or you're a loser, and this year we were the biggest losers in the NBA! Everyone knows that by being the suckiest team in the NBA, we are in a position to acquire some top-tier/Superstar talent in this year's draft, but there are no guarantees! I'm hoping we get lucky and don't "travel in the paint"!

Regardless of the future: GO ROCKETS!!!

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well that was the most fun losing season I've ever watched.

Clutch likes this.