1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros @ Diamondbacks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 12, 2022.

1. right1

right1 Member

I used to LOVE going to the Astrodome as a kid (probably 30-40 games a year) ALWAYS hoping I'd get to see a 16 or 18 inning game. I still loved extra inning games as an adult for a lot of reasons. I loved the tactics and strategy when both teams were down to their final bullpen guy and it was a game of attrition at that point. My grandmother who had season tickets would NEVER leave before the final out even if it was midnight on a school night for me.

BMoney, Hank McDowell and msn like this.
  2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The ghost runner is not going away.

For some reason both the league AND the players like it.

That's why it was brought back even after it was initially cancelled after last season.

Only the fans dislike it so there is no way it goes away. We know how important the league AND the players think the fans are.

3. msn

msn Member

I remember an extra-inning affair at the 'Dome against the hated Braves. We were sitting in the CF mezzanine, and Rafael Ramirez (when he played for us, not them) blasted one just a few rows in front of us. I think that bomb got us into the tie. I don't remember how we won it, only that we went home happy.

right1 likes this.
  4. right1

right1 Member

Yeah, of course they like it. They get paid the same for a 10 inning game as they would a 16 inning game. And food/alcohol sales are stopped, so there's no $ in it for the owners. Only the fans benefit from long extra inning games. More baseball for the price of admission. More bang for the buck.

everyday eddie likes this.
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Ramirez hit one HR in his career against the Braves. We lost 3-4.

He did hit a go-ahead HR against the Pirates and then Dave Smith blew the save and Ramirez won it with a single in the 12th.

Perhaps the games melded together. Or maybe you called that beer guy over 1 too many times that night. We did play the Braves in Extras 4 times in 1988.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Geez I thought this next series was the home opener....still 1 more series to go on the road. 0_0

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Did the Astros just have a one game series with Arizona or did I miss something?

8. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

2-game series. 1 win, 1 loss

solid likes this.
  9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Ghost runner can suck it. Hate that ****!

Tomstro and right1 like this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I used Bilasport last season. It's not working for me now.

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Oh how far we have fallen. From, "The customer is always right" to "The customer is irrelevant. He will take whatever expensive crumbs we offer."

It's almost like they went from competing in a free market to manipulating and gouging a captive market.

#411 Marshall Bryant, Apr 15, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  12. msn

msn Member

[​IMG]
    It must have been that Pirates game. I can imagine, all these decades later, the games melding together in what's left of my brain.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

It is shocking to see the Orioles employ the new ghost batters. Their fans are not amused.

Tomstro likes this.
  14. juicystream

I've mentioned before my dad remembers missing Mike Scott pitch a perfect game due to 2 errors by Ramirez. It was actually 1 error by Ramirez and 1 by Reynolds.

I'd swear I went to an Astros-Braves game where Biggio hit 2 HRs and Bagwell hit 1 and we killed them, but that is 2 separate games from 2004.

And Shazam is a real movie that Sinbad starred in.

msn likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

16. juicystream

17. Major

Major Member

The customer has never been always right - in any industry.

On this particular issue, while lots of people love 6 hour regular season games, lots of people don't. So they aren't going to make all their customers happy regardless.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It was an exaggeration, but it was a rule of thumb not THAT long ago. It generally functioned as promoting customer satisfaction up to the manager on duty who had the authority to say enough to the customer if the request or demand was unreasonable. Of course I lived a life that others may not have. When people usually only requested a reasonable response to a problem.

19. Major

Major Member

Sure - so the real philosophy was "sometimes the customer is right; sometimes not".

The use of it here makes no sense - if customers asked employees to work several hours past their shift for no pay, they would always have rejected you. That's what extra innings basically are. Lots of sports try to end games earlier in the regular season - NFL has simpler overtime rules and ends after 1 OT in a tie. They have also just recently shortened OT from 15 to 10 minutes. Hockey does some kind of shootout or something (I don't watch hockey, so not sure the details). In baseball, with a 162 games and now even more playoff teams, an individual regular season game has minimal meaning, so ending it early to preserve players' health and make employees happy seems like a rock solid plan, especially when lots of fans end up leaving without seeing a conclusion otherwise.

20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We have different life experiences which certainly affect our perspectives.